Sign in with
Your question

Low performance after dual core upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
June 21, 2009 8:36:11 AM

Hi, I recently upgraded my AMD athlon 64 3500+ processor to a AMD athlon x2 4200+ and have seen a drastic decrease in performance in games such as Call of Duty 4 and Left 4 Dead. With the single core processor, I was getting around 40 fps but with the new dual core processor I am getting something like 10 fps. I have the newest drivers and reinstalled Vista but the problem still exists. Any help with this issue would greatly be appreciated.

My system specs are:

Abit KN8 SLI
AMD 64 x2 4200+ 2.2Ghz
2gb of ram
Galaxy 8800gt 512mb
80GB SATA
Dynapower 500W PSU

Thank you in advance.
June 21, 2009 8:53:00 AM

try to download the dualcore optimyzer from the amd site... it has made a difference for me a time ago when i had amd ..i'm on intel now..good luck mate
June 21, 2009 5:34:08 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'll go try that AMD dual core optimizer. I was under the impression that Vista didn't need to use the optimizer but I'll try it anyways. My cousin have the exact same hardware except for a bigger hard drive and a different brand of video card and gets really good frame rates so I don't think it's the game not utilizing the dual core. After closer inspection of the dual core cpu, I did notice two pins slightly bent but I could still mount the cpu with no problems. Could this be the source of my poor performance?
Related resources
June 21, 2009 9:01:00 PM

So far, installing the AMD dual core optimizer didn't help. Any other ideas on how to fix this problem? Please help, playing at 8-10 fps is pure agony!
June 21, 2009 10:20:36 PM

I would certainly upgrade to 3 or 4GB total RAM in any case.
Does your cousin maybe have a different BIOS version?
I would also try running some standard benchmarking programs such as those in Everest or PC Wizard, and comparing the results with the same benchmarks from your cousin's computer.
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2009 10:55:07 PM

Quote:
Could this be the source of my poor performance?

May be. If those pins underclocked the CPU (extremely unlikely, and if it's the real cause, I'm a god :p ).

Also OP, are you sure you are running at the same resolution as before?
June 22, 2009 12:00:45 AM

yeah vista is great but it is a ram hog!!! go with 4. i dont know how good that cpu overclocks but i would deff do it!!!
June 22, 2009 1:21:46 AM

I kept the resolutions all the same in the games when I upgraded the CPU's. I have same BIOS version as my cousin and the same amount of ram so I don't think its a ram issue since I can run the games fine with my old single core processor. It's either a hardware or software problem with the dual core CPU.
June 24, 2009 5:35:11 AM

Yep, one for each core. The device manager also shows two CPU's.
!