Installing xp on a netbook

carla1985

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as I have now spent 2 days on this and dont seem to be any further :/

I have an Advent 4211C and sometime a while back I managed to corrupt my windows installation. Seein as there was a recovery partition on it I thought it would be simple enough to just put it back to factory settings etc so I hit f5 on start up and went through the recovery instructions. This seemed to go fine but then when it rebooted it said there had been an error and it hadnt been restored (cant remember the exact error msg sorry). I clicked to reboot and just got the msg bootmgr is missing. I now cannot get back onto the recovery or get xp to install from anything.

What I have tried so far:

1. Puttin xp installation files on an sd card and using the built in reader - I just get the black screen with a flashing black dot
2. Puttin xp installation files on a memory stick and booting from usb - I just get the black screen with a flashing black dot
3. Putting installation files directly on the harddrive - I get told to remove other media

As I dont have an external cd drive I dont know how to get anything on this. Thanks for any help

You do have a CD Drive ? http://www.ehow.com/how_6510930_install-windows-xp-bootmgr-missing.html