Severe failure, Have I fried it?

Vista_Nueva

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hi forum, want to ask yall about the no screen of death I've just encountered. Here's What Happened.

I had recently overclocked my cpu in an attempt to get Black Ops to stutter less, I changed the FSB, memory (timings) and NB voltage, and cpu voltage, but no gpu settings (NB voltage is gpu related? not sure).

So I'm using the computer like ho-hum after I boot it up to play Black Ops. I start the game (it gives me message about "system changed, safe mode?" and I say no).

The instant the game should start, the screen goes blank and my monitor turns itself off. I hear the windows hardware disconnect noise, and an error noise.

I restart a few times, and I can tell its starting up because I can hear the startup sounds, but I don't know what to do because I can't get any image out of the card. Power is going into the card....

Any ideas that don't involve my card being broken? Best case scenario, the game fucked up some driver?

Thanks

Solution
How crazy did you get with voltages with that last overclock? It seems your board is just being really stubborn about recovering from a failed overclock. Go through the normal cmos resetting again, this time make sure the psu is unplugged from the wall. Short the jumper reseat the system ram, preferably one stick just to see if it post.

Vista_Nueva

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Unfortunately, my mobo doesn't have integrated graphics, and all of my hardware is 3 years old, so little point in calling tech support. I reset the CMOS, but still can't see anything/can't tell what's going on.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
How crazy did you get with voltages with that last overclock? It seems your board is just being really stubborn about recovering from a failed overclock. Go through the normal cmos resetting again, this time make sure the psu is unplugged from the wall. Short the jumper reseat the system ram, preferably one stick just to see if it post.

Solution

Vista_Nueva

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
cannot boot, cannot see anything... Windows Black Screen of Death: maybe this software can fix it : http://blogs.computerworld.com/15170/black_screen_of_death_fix_for_windows_xp_vista_7
Have already had and fixed this problem.

I am pretty sure that the voltages I have tried were already tried by other users of my motherboard. Will try this later today, not sure about where the system jumper is, but I can probably figure it out...and take out all but one stick of ram?

Vista_Nueva

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

So, I might have not reset it properly the first time, but it all works now! I unplugged it, removed most hardware and pressed the cmos button (doesn't have a real jumper) then plugged it back it and pressed the button again. When I booted I got text on the screen and was happy. I put all the hardware back in and am running it now. I don't know how you knew what the real problem was sfb, but you saved me lots of money, Thanks!

*selects best answer*