Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth buying a premium board for no-gaming?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
September 2, 2009 2:46:35 PM

Hi all,

I’ve read many posts, but wasn’t able to find the answer to my problem.

I am building a new desktop PC, based on C2Quad 9550.

The computer will be used for main-stream home and business use. I typically run several MS Office applications, a dozen or more IE Windows open and work a lot with Adobe CS4 suite – photo, video editing, etc… so multitasking is a default operational mode.

My biggest pain is the MoBo choice, as I literally play no games, I am not interested in OC or any of that stuff.

My primary concern is stability and durability, as I don’t plan to change/upgrade the system for at least 4-5 years.

I was looking at Asus MoBos and my first choice was P5QL Pro, as I don’t need double/quad gigabit LAN, 8-10 SATA, etc. Then, I read the board was unusually thin and that seems as low quality.

Then I checked P5Q Pro Turbo, but again reviews were not the greates.

I am now “sitting on the fence” between P5Q deluxe Vs P5Q Premium (the price difference is 10$)

But then… reviews for these 2 high-end MoBos are equally poor…

Am I missing something here…? Should I go for Gigabyte instead, as I understand they are king when it comes to durability…? If so – which one should I opr based on my needs?

Many, many thanks in advance

More about : worth buying premium board gaming

a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 6:18:24 PM

This is a solid board :

ASUS P5QL/EPU LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

By negative reviews, did you mean Newegg? If so just FYI most of those negative reviews are non-sense and are posted by un-educated users that should not be near a PC in the first place.....
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 6:39:42 PM

Best to stay with the 4... chipsets, more modern.
3..., 9..., G3... are kind of old.
September 2, 2009 8:13:10 PM

OvrClkr said:
This is a solid board :

ASUS P5QL/EPU LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

By negative reviews, did you mean Newegg? If so just FYI most of those negative reviews are non-sense and are posted by un-educated users that should not be near a PC in the first place.....

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes - by negative reviews I meant NewEgg and to be honest I was very surprised to find so many "Cons"...

Anyway... the concrete Q is - if i go with Asus P5Q Premium - am I making a good choice in terms of durability and stbility od should I go with Gigabyte. (If so - which p45 Gigabyte MoBo would you suggest?)

many tnx
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 8:20:48 PM

I would not get the premium, specially if you dont game... it would be a waste of money and on top of that it has several issues....

Here is a list of boards that you can look at... in my honest opinion you will not find a better board than the one I posted above for your specific needs... stable, durable, bug-fixed (compared to the premium), Ram compatibilty is second to none.... to many pros to list...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

BTW the Biostar T-Power is one of the best LGA 775 boards out ATM, but it leans more towards gaming....

a c 156 V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 8:40:44 PM

I like the Gigabyte boards. I have 4. Three are OC'd. One is a pure vanilla system. They have worked flawlessly. CPU's are 2 E5200's (one OC'd to 3.75 GHz), a Q6600, and a Q9550.

I think the quality control is a little better than the Asus boards. To be fair though, I have to admit the evidence for that is largely anecdotal.

For Gigabyte, I'd recommend the GA-EP45-UD3L if you need 6 or less SATA ports.
September 2, 2009 9:35:22 PM

OvrClkr said:
I would not get the premium, specially if you dont game... it would be a waste of money and on top of that it has several issues....

Here is a list of boards that you can look at... in my honest opinion you will not find a better board than the one I posted above for your specific needs... stable, durable, bug-fixed (compared to the premium), Ram compatibilty is second to none.... to many pros to list...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

BTW the Biostar T-Power is one of the best LGA 775 boards out ATM, but it leans more towards gaming....

I see, only one problem w/ that one - no ICH10R and this is important for me as data-protection is a priority, RAID1 is a must.

BTW, just to clarify - the fact I don't game doesn't mean I don1t want a kick-ass MoBo. As I said above, I wanna have the system running reliably for 4-5 years... don't mind paying 100É more to get a good board.

So, if P5Q Premium is an over-kill, how about P5Q Deluxe, seems like a good board to me... and reasonably priced?
September 2, 2009 9:37:05 PM

jsc said:
I like the Gigabyte boards. I have 4. Three are OC'd. One is a pure vanilla system. They have worked flawlessly. CPU's are 2 E5200's (one OC'd to 3.75 GHz), a Q6600, and a Q9550.

I think the quality control is a little better than the Asus boards. To be fair though, I have to admit the evidence for that is largely anecdotal.

For Gigabyte, I'd recommend the GA-EP45-UD3L if you need 6 or less SATA ports.

the L model is not available at the moment at store where I order, how about EP45-UD3 (what's the difference?)
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 9:45:34 PM

Well there is no reason to pay the premium for a gaming board if you will not use the extra features....

If you need an ICH10R then the only board I can recommend is this :

BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I am not familiar with gigabyte's LGA775 boards so I would not know....
September 2, 2009 9:52:51 PM

OvrClkr said:
Well there is no reason to pay the premium for a gaming board if you will not use the extra features....

If you need an ICH10R then the only board I can recommend is this :

BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I am not familiar with gigabyte's LGA775 boards so I would not know....

Thanks, will check it out!
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 11:47:34 PM

Gigabyte makes some solid boards. Check out some of their ultra copper boards.
I have an inexpensive one, check my system specs, and have been very happy with it. And the performance I get from it is outstanding, really amazing for a $70 board. Fast, stable as hell, and booted first time, everytime. I myself have gone away from ASUS a few years ago. I don't think they build boards nearly as well as they used to.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/WebPage/mb_080924_u...
September 3, 2009 7:08:04 AM

jitpublisher said:
Gigabyte makes some solid boards. Check out some of their ultra copper boards.
I have an inexpensive one, check my system specs, and have been very happy with it. And the performance I get from it is outstanding, really amazing for a $70 board. Fast, stable as hell, and booted first time, everytime. I myself have gone away from ASUS a few years ago. I don't think they build boards nearly as well as they used to.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/WebPage/mb_080924_u...

As I read those reviews and forums, more and more I have a feeling I'll be opting for Gigabyte instead of Asus...
September 3, 2009 8:15:03 AM

davidstone said:
Hi all,

I’ve read many posts, but wasn’t able to find the answer to my problem.

I am building a new desktop PC, based on C2Quad 9550.

The computer will be used for main-stream home and business use. I typically run several MS Office applications, a dozen or more IE Windows open and work a lot with Adobe CS4 suite – photo, video editing, etc… so multitasking is a default operational mode.

My biggest pain is the MoBo choice, as I literally play no games, I am not interested in OC or any of that stuff.

My primary concern is stability and durability, as I don’t plan to change/upgrade the system for at least 4-5 years.

I was looking at Asus MoBos and my first choice was P5QL Pro, as I don’t need double/quad gigabit LAN, 8-10 SATA, etc. Then, I read the board was unusually thin and that seems as low quality.

Then I checked P5Q Pro Turbo, but again reviews were not the greates.

I am now “sitting on the fence” between P5Q deluxe Vs P5Q Premium (the price difference is 10$)

But then… reviews for these 2 high-end MoBos are equally poor…

Am I missing something here…? Should I go for Gigabyte instead, as I understand they are king when it comes to durability…? If so – which one should I opr based on my needs?

Many, many thanks in advance

OK, let's approach this from a logical viepoint... Form follows function, right? The 'heaviest' app that you mentioned is CS4. From personal (and professional) experience, this app loves cores first, and RAM second. So, I'd be looking for an x58 board with 6 DIMM slots. The other bits are up to you, you know what you need better than anyone else here.

You didn't ask, but I'll voice a few other opinions. Gigabyte boards are good, but their customer support is not. If you are comfortable with that, then they do make good boards.

As to graphics, obviously you aren't going to get a Quadro. So I'd suggest that a 4870 1GB will do you just fine. The 4850, IMO, suffers from lack of DDR5, and the 4890 is a bit of overkill. Nice GPU, I just don't think you'll see any more 'bang' for what you say you do.

Ok, my .02...
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2009 1:12:27 PM

^My 2 cents.....and this is what happens a lot on this forum. Croc is suggesting a platform for a first class i7 rig, with a pretty high end gaming card. Now what he is suggesting no doubt is a very nice rig, but...
Since you state you are building on a Core processor, the X58 chipset is out of the question-wrong platform. You also don't need a high end gaming card.

What you need is exactly what you said, a decent stable middle of the road board.

Photoshop likes quad cores and memory, a fast hard drive... it does not need a high end video card at all, any modern 512 meg mid range card, for instance something in the range of the 4670 to 4830 is all you will ever need.

Several MS office apps open at once, (excel, word, Access) full version of Acorobat, email, internet, File maker Pro....I do all that at work everyday with a 7 year old 2.0ghz P4 /512 meg of memory/ Gateway. No problem. (Acrobat will slow it down if the file has a lot of color pages) I do have Photoshop and several other programs like Quark Express, Indesign, Illustrator and they will really slow it down, and are tough to use on it, but you can do it in a pinch. We have a couple of newer PCs and Macs sitting right next to me loaded with just about every design program you can think of....so I just slide over and use them if I need. But bottom line, Microsoft apps and email, internet etc are not what I consider heavy multitasking items. Any generic Dell, HP, Gateway,cheap home build will handle all of that, and maybe even using Photoshop casually, no sweat.

When you load up Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign, and the full version of Acrobat 9 all at once, now you are multitasking and that is when a fast quad, lots of memory, and a couple of fast drives on a solid motherboard really starts to pay off!
September 4, 2009 7:12:33 AM

jitpublisher said:
^My 2 cents.....and this is what happens a lot on this forum. Croc is suggesting a platform for a first class i7 rig, with a pretty high end gaming card. Now what he is suggesting no doubt is a very nice rig, but...
Since you state you are building on a Core processor, the X58 chipset is out of the question-wrong platform. You also don't need a high end gaming card.

What you need is exactly what you said, a decent stable middle of the road board.

Photoshop likes quad cores and memory, a fast hard drive... it does not need a high end video card at all, any modern 512 meg mid range card, for instance something in the range of the 4670 to 4830 is all you will ever need.

Several MS office apps open at once, (excel, word, Access) full version of Acorobat, email, internet, File maker Pro....I do all that at work everyday with a 7 year old 2.0ghz P4 /512 meg of memory/ Gateway. No problem. (Acrobat will slow it down if the file has a lot of color pages) I do have Photoshop and several other programs like Quark Express, Indesign, Illustrator and they will really slow it down, and are tough to use on it, but you can do it in a pinch. We have a couple of newer PCs and Macs sitting right next to me loaded with just about every design program you can think of....so I just slide over and use them if I need. But bottom line, Microsoft apps and email, internet etc are not what I consider heavy multitasking items. Any generic Dell, HP, Gateway,cheap home build will handle all of that, and maybe even using Photoshop casually, no sweat.

When you load up Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign, and the full version of Acrobat 9 all at once, now you are multitasking and that is when a fast quad, lots of memory, and a couple of fast drives on a solid motherboard really starts to pay off!

This is exactly what I ment, these are the apps I run + MS office and IE and a dozen other...

September 4, 2009 7:18:14 AM

croc said:
OK, let's approach this from a logical viepoint... Form follows function, right? The 'heaviest' app that you mentioned is CS4. From personal (and professional) experience, this app loves cores first, and RAM second. So, I'd be looking for an x58 board with 6 DIMM slots. The other bits are up to you, you know what you need better than anyone else here.

You didn't ask, but I'll voice a few other opinions. Gigabyte boards are good, but their customer support is not. If you are comfortable with that, then they do make good boards.

As to graphics, obviously you aren't going to get a Quadro. So I'd suggest that a 4870 1GB will do you just fine. The 4850, IMO, suffers from lack of DDR5, and the 4890 is a bit of overkill. Nice GPU, I just don't think you'll see any more 'bang' for what you say you do.

Ok, my .02...

IMHO, i7 based system is overpriced compared to gain I'd get. The i7 w/ 6GDDR3 would give me only marginal imrovement over C2Q9550 w/ 4G DDR2, but I'd have to pay about 300$ more.

The video cards you mention, are great gaming cards, but an overkill for what I need. I'm pretty sure the 4670 1GDDR3 would suit me perfectly...
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2009 7:44:01 AM

Powercolor? No thanks..... That is the main reason it is priced at 116.99....

If you want a real GPU with a REAL warranty get this :

XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB

144.99 + free shipping + double lifetime warranty = no-brainer .....

BTW that Powercolor is the 512Mb version, not 1GB..... [:jaydeejohn:5]
September 4, 2009 7:47:53 AM

davidstone said:
IMHO, i7 based system is overpriced compared to gain I'd get. The i7 w/ 6GDDR3 would give me only marginal imrovement over C2Q9550 w/ 4G DDR2, but I'd have to pay about 300$ more.

The video cards you mention, are great gaming cards, but an overkill for what I need. I'm pretty sure the 4670 1GDDR3 would suit me perfectly...

"...and work a lot with Adobe CS4 suite – photo, video editing, etc… "

That was what I made my recommendations on. If a time savings of 10 to 30% in those apps isn't worth a few extra dollars, then so be it. If you think that a 4670 GPU will be OK for you, then so be it. I have no dog in this race, so I personally don't care.
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2009 7:53:30 AM

I agree, the 4670 is weak, you can do so much better for pennies more....

A good 4670 will cost you a good 100.00$ after shipping

A kickass 4870 1GB will cost you 145.00$ free shipping

The performance gain and future-proofability = 100%
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2009 7:57:56 AM

OvrClkr said:
Powercolor? No thanks..... That is the main reason it is priced at 116.99....

If you want a real GPU with a REAL warranty get this :

XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB

144.99 + free shipping + double lifetime warranty = no-brainer .....

BTW that Powercolor is the 512Mb version, not 1GB..... [:jaydeejohn:5]

+1 if you can afford it. XFX has the best warranty in the market for ATI Cards, BFG only make Nvidia cards .
!