I5 -760 heats badly with stock cooler..do i need aftermarket cooler?

Aug 11, 2010
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a i5 760 with Asus p7p55D-E board..In the BIOS the CPU temp is showing as 50C, with Vcore 1.160, with stock cooler which has pre applied thermal on it..but it was not fully applied..a bit gap here and there..

In Windows 7 the Asus utility AI suite shows the idle temp as 42C at 0.900 Vcore with 1300 Mhz..

But when i play some games like farcry, GTA SA the speed pumps up to 3000Mhz and the temp is showing as 68 - 70C,

Im really worried about this temp, I didnt even overclock and not planning to as well..everything in the BIOS is set to default values but still the idle temp is too high..

this is my cabinet..

http://www.mroninternational.com/terminator.html

I have hd 5770 which gives some heat near the cpu..Is the temp due to that? my ambient temp is at around 29C..And do you think the temp is due to the ambient temp or thermal or both?

Pls tell me do i really need a cooler to bring down the temp? the pc is mostly used for gaming only..Am i good with that 70C temp at 3000Mhz for gaming?

Pls help me..this thread will be useful for many users like me here in India..coz im sure they will be facing same issue in this Hot country..

Solution
hi joseph... 42 idle and 68 load is acceptable if your room temp is around 30 which is normal in india... usual testing conditions take around 22c ambient so idle is at 35 and load is around 60... i think your fan setup is OK... you have too many intakes which creates positive pressure but also accumulates dust inside the pc due to less exhaust... convert one of your side fans as an exhaust (probably the one close to your gpu and not the cpu) and you should be ok... try to get good fans to replace the slow spinning ones... and remember to clean your pc insides with a vacum blower once in 3-4 months...

Thermal paste usually have curing time... have look at the manufacturer's specs... maybe it will be indicated... otherwise 2-3 days is...

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
First of all if you are not planning to overclock then you can stick with the stock cooler... just buy a good TIM; preferably arctic silver 5; or any other Ag based thermal paste... you can see videos on youtube on how to apply this on your cpu... before that get a nail polish remover and cotton pads to clean the original paste on the heatsink and on the cpu... your temps will come down dramatically...

i see that your case has "dual cooling fan" though i dont know how they are positioned... but i do see a slot for installing a fan on the side... ensure you have at least one fan for exhaust (rear or top) and one fan for intake (front or side)... that should take care of circulation...

Your ambient temps are high and i know india can get very dusty... if your room is not air conditioned then i would advise a good cooler and some more case fans... recommend the following from an online store in india if you cant get anything good locally...

Thermal Paste
Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 TIM for Rs 470 or Cooler Master Ice Fusion Thermal Compound for Rs. 400

Coolers
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for Rs 1935

Since i dont have your case specs ensure that your case has a width of 200mm to accomodate the above cooler... if its smaller then recommend the below two coolers...

Cooler Master Vortex Plus 92mm CPU Cooler for Rs 1935
or
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 for Rs 1175

The website also has a decent collection of good fans for your case if you need some...

Aug 11, 2010
Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply..

Yes the case has two fans..One on the rear and one on the side(lower part on the case image)...both of them run at very low speed so i couldn't differentiate whether its for air intake or exhaust..

I connected them with my PSU pins properly but still the speed is low..Is tht ok or should i buy new fans?

Also there is another option on the side (the upper part on the case image) it is fitted with a cup shaped plastic inside and i have no idea for what it is..Is it for installing another fan? if so I should buy a intake fan and fit it as per your above comment right?

Also Is there a fan on the front side for air intake on all cases? This intake, exhaust thing is totally new to me..pls bear with me :)

If applying thermal paste reduces the temp i would definitely remove the existing paste and reapply it on the stock cooler and cpu..but do you think it will bring down the temp to atleast 30C on idle?

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Whats the size of these fans??? big fans often run slow since they can push more air... the fan positions are OK as per your comment up... if you are not sure about the direction just keep a smoke source like a cigarette or incense stick close to the fan to judge the airflow direction... the rear should be for exhaust and the lower side for intake...

the cup shaped plastic is for directing the air flow directly on the cpu if you install a fan there... that will be again for pushing air in... and yes almost all GOOD cases have at least one air intake fan in the front (especially lower front) which is the ideal place for air intake... and exhaust should ideally be at rear or top of the case...

be careful about positive pressure (more intake less exhaust)... that'll lead to more dust accumulation inside the case if the room is not air conditioned... otherwise i would recommend a negative pressure (more exhaust) which will reduce dust accumulation inside the case...

I recently did a rig for a friend with an i5 760 in a HTPC case with two exhaust fans at rear and one intake fan at front (psu)... initially with just the original TIM the temps were hovering around 40... and during stress test it would touch 80... bought AS5 applied it and watched the temps go to 35 idle and 70 load... and then i added another fan at the side and the temps went to around 30 idle and 65 load... My ambient temps are around 21 so it helps but your case looks bigger so should be better in performance... try adding fans and replacing the TIM... if that brings down the temps then you are good to go... otherwise go for any aftermarket cooler...

EDIT - and about the fan being slow... fans that usually come with normal cases are poor quality... if needed get motherboard header pin case fans... you can control the speed of the fan using speedfan... or else go for fans which come with low speed adapters... so you can choose from full speed to slower speed...

Aug 11, 2010
Im not sure about the size of the fans in mm, but it looks somewhat medium size to me..It also doesnt exhaust the air well, bcoz when i had put my hand back there i couldnt feel any airflow..the airflow was just very less..So im thinking of buying a new fan of big size and fit in there..

Also im thinking to install another intake fan on the side since i doubt there will be a intake fan on the lower front in my Cabinet as u said above..

So I should ask the shopkeeper for Intake fan and Exhaust fan seperately right?

Ofcourse Im gonna apply AS5 to the cpu and Stock cooler as per your advice..im expecting a good improvement from it..I appreciate If you can give me a good link of how to apply it..

Thanks for your patience.. :)

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
i just added a comment to my previous post regarding fans... check for the size by taking a ruler and measuring one side of the fan... the common ones are either 80mm or 120mm but there are also 92mm, 140mm, 160mm, 200mm etc... thickness doesn't matter... dont buy bigger fans... they will not fit into the screw holes... ask for fans with high rpm's (around 2000+) if noise is not a concern for you

another suggestion... if there is a fan grill (like polka dots) on the rear, use a cutter to remove them and make a big hole... it will ease the air to exhaust properly out of the case... no need to modify like this for air intakes... air will come in any gap available...

all fans can be used for intake or exhaust by installing on one particular side... there are no separate fans for exhaust and intake... the curve of the fans will tell you which side the fan is going to blow... i hope that clarifies...

see the below links i found useful for TIM applying techniques...
Dot method - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRRWbQUqW1Y

I personally use AS5 and spread an even thin layer around the full face of the cpu... like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQUdr823g1w

But i have heard a lot of people saying a dot or small cross is sufficient... see this video for insight into how TIM spreads on different types of paste and methods... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRRWbQUqW1Y

Aug 11, 2010
Ok, I can get motherboard header pin fans bcoz my board has cha_fan1 and cha_fan2 headers on it...But can I use this function only on exhaust fan or intake fan also ?
just making it clear since i dont wanna mess up with it..

Thanks for all the links..ill make sure ill see it before i apply..

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
you can use mobo headers for both... then download speedfan to monitor and possibly control their speed... the mobo has one cha_fan header which has four pins which is PWM so speed can be controlled via software... ensure you get a fan which comes with low speed adapters like this http://www.zalman.com/images/productinfo/ZM-F1plus_img1.jpg

if not possible then get a fan which comes with fan controller like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=35-200-027-S04&SCList=35-200-027-S01,35-200-027-S02,35-200-027-S03,35-200-027-S04,35-200-027-S05,35-200-027-S06,35-200-027-S07,35-200-027-S08,35-200-027-S09,35-200-027-S10,35-200-027-S11&S7ImageFlag=2&Item=N82E16835200027&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=Rosewill%20RFX-80BL%2080mm%202%20Ball%20Bearing%20Blue%20LED%20Case%20Fan%20with%20Fan%20Controller%20Set

btw whats the size of your case fans???

Aug 11, 2010
Its no more than 8cm which means i think 80mm fan..i think thats why the temp is so hot..But ill try to get a quality pwm fan with four pins as you said and fit it in the rear and install the existing exhaust fan to the side of the cabinet for intake..

So ill have three intakes(two on the side and one on front low) and one powerful exhaust on the rear..Is this setup ok? or do i have to rearrange in such a way that one intake and one exhaust on the side?

Also my graphics card HD5770 is very hot showing 56C in ATI overdrive tool, Is there any way to cool it or its just fine to ignore? does it affect the cpu temperature too?..

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Simple check to determine the issue:

Open the side of the case, blow a house fan into the case (to produce more airflow than you would ever have in there). This eliminates airflow as a variable, allowing you to see if the cooler is having problems.

If your temps go down or get better, then you need to address the airflow in your case.

If your temps stay the same, you have a problem with the cooler, mounting or of the TIM on your chip.

Aug 11, 2010
Ok as per this threads advice i bought a new thermal paste "Cooler master thermal fusion 400" which costed me abt $10.5(Rs.500) and applied it correctly with stock cooler on my i5.

But still there is no noticeable difference.. :(

the idle temp is at 42C at 0.880 vcore with 1.3ghz and suddenly rises to 68C when load at 2.9Ghz while playing games..With no overclocking everything set to default in bios i think its really hot..

Ive installed one 80mm intake fan in front of case and one 80mm exhaust fan in the back and 2 80mm intake fans on the side(but the side fans runs at very very low speed, ill change it soon).

Is the high temp still due to the ambient temp(29C) and insufficient air flow? If the side intake fans are fast enough wil the temp go down?

Or does that thermal paste needs some time to settle in?

Pls advice guys im really worried abt this temp and I couldnt play any games with this temp..

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
hi joseph... 42 idle and 68 load is acceptable if your room temp is around 30 which is normal in india... usual testing conditions take around 22c ambient so idle is at 35 and load is around 60... i think your fan setup is OK... you have too many intakes which creates positive pressure but also accumulates dust inside the pc due to less exhaust... convert one of your side fans as an exhaust (probably the one close to your gpu and not the cpu) and you should be ok... try to get good fans to replace the slow spinning ones... and remember to clean your pc insides with a vacum blower once in 3-4 months...

Thermal paste usually have curing time... have look at the manufacturer's specs... maybe it will be indicated... otherwise 2-3 days is acceptable for curing...

Solution