Sign in with
Your question

Need Real Good Advice!!!! New Machine..

Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2009 4:51:33 PM

Hello to everyone i am new here!!!
with you all experts here i need help....with building a new machine

1st my budget $600 not a penny more....(all inclusive of cpu,mobo,ram,2x17" lcd monitors and power supply, excluding keyboard and mouse )
2nd i am not a gamer, i am a music composer so all i would be doing is music production and a bit of games (halo,crysis,C&C e.t.c ...)
3rd please avoid Gigabyte and MSI preferably Intel and ASUS.
4th i dont want to overclock any thing cuz i do not know how to do it and i really dont want to...
5th i want a Graphic card also
6th OS would be Windows XP Pro SP2 32bit

the explanation

As i said i am a music composer this new machine would be used for music production and sometimes for games in my free time.
what i thought is to go with core 2 duo 45 nm e8400 3.0 ghz processor which is fair for me...now i really dont know which mobo would best
with it and which ram would be best suited, i thought of going with the corsair 4g ram however i dont know much about rams,ram kits, double side, single side, paired, synchron non-synchron if possible please explain, i know windows xp 32bit does not support more than 3.5ghz...so relax upon that.

i would be using all industry standard music softwares which are big time resource hungry when working with big projects......so please be advised.

i would love if u experts here would suggest/advice me or even build a real fast stable and a long time future ready reliable machine....

all my respects and many thanks in advance..... :) 

March 19, 2009 4:59:37 PM

Sure, before doing this, Do you want Intel or AMD cpu, just so you dont have people in here throwing both at you to get you all confused.

March 19, 2009 5:08:03 PM

$600 including 2x17" Monitors?
Related resources
March 19, 2009 5:15:03 PM

If you want a build + 2 17" your out of luck on the crysis gaming then for the most part for a really good graphic.
March 19, 2009 5:28:34 PM

Do you need to buy the OS or do you have it?
March 19, 2009 5:37:51 PM

Also 1x 1920x1080 monitor would serve you better.
March 19, 2009 5:39:32 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
E8400

Gigabyte P43-

Gigabyte is probably the most stable motherboard out there, i dont know why
you would go against it.

HIS 4670

Wd Black 640gb.

seems if the wd black 320gb is out of stock or i would of chosen it.

600w stealthXstream

Pi Black g.skills

Antec 300.

$580-$590.

March 19, 2009 6:05:12 PM

Keep dreaming. Your budget and what you want are WAY OFF.
March 19, 2009 6:08:34 PM

Agreed, your asking for too much with too small of a budget. You either going have to increase your budget or decrease your demands.
March 19, 2009 6:16:29 PM

Yeep, No way you will get 2x17" screens and have a good enough gpu and rig for $600.00

Need to up the raise or Buy a Pre-build on newegg/ebay.
March 19, 2009 6:59:01 PM

OMG this is the only forum i have see with such quick replies
you guys are quick

"Fullmetall" i need an Intel Machine....
"MykC" i have the os with me so lets leave that, secondly i do need 2 monitors not just a big one.and i mentioned i really dont want to go for giga or msi just stick with Intel and Asus

and forgot to tell u i dont need HDD i already have it and not even the casing .....so that subtracts out of the budget.. i hope this helps a bit
March 19, 2009 7:03:57 PM

and $600 = 30,000 INR as i stay in india so most of the computer parts are cheap here
and about gigabyte and msi the service arnt very good here in our country....

The HIS Video card you mentioned arnt available here too so its like ATI, XFX, NVIDIA would do
earlier XFX i had and i was happy with it.....

and friend i did not get this, what did u mean to say....
"If you want a build + 2 17" your out of luck on the crysis gaming then for the most part for a really good graphic."
March 19, 2009 7:21:54 PM

Antec 300 - 55
Intel e5200 - 75
Asus P5QL Pro - 90
WD 320GB - 50
2x2GB Mushkin Ram - 40
HD 4830 - 90
PC Power & Cooling 420W - 60

Totals $460ish.

If you can find 2 monitors for 140 dollars then you are good to go.

Just what i came up with while bored before leaving work.

And what he meant was, it is not possible to build a computer for $600 including two monitors that will play Crysis well.

In my opinion you need to go to one monitor, or find some more money if you want to be able to game on this computer.
March 19, 2009 7:36:50 PM

My friend "battlemarz"

i just mentioned i dont need the "CASING" , "HDD" and "OS"......and video cards would be preferably XFX, ATI....and friend i still dont get it as for the video card u suggested wont it be able to play crysis on dual monitor, why ?
March 19, 2009 7:49:15 PM

If you don't give people up front all the all the info about what parts you need and what you already have, how do you honestly expect people to help you? And since you're buying from India, where prices are different, and you place so many restrictions on what you will buy, you make it Impossible to give you any useful advice.

If you really want help, make a list of parts your found that you want to buy, and ask people if they are good or not
March 19, 2009 8:00:33 PM

Give us some sites for India because, i know none,

What is a List of what you need, you say you have a case/HDD. do you have a mouse/keyboard/audio system?

For example.

MotherBoard: Which brands, Intel and ASUS

Memory: Dont know what you can buy in India. Give us some brands and sites.

PSU: Same thing, Brands you need.

Video Card: Brand, Intel, XFX.

Etc.. we need that kind of information and, having 2x 17" screens, will cut your budget really low.

Might need to look into an already pre-built computer.

March 19, 2009 8:00:42 PM

"OrangeGator"

i agree upon your point, please dont get angry, however all the major famous brands are available in india....like ASUS, Intel, LG, Samsung, Corsair, ATI, XFX, OCZ, Coolermaster... i am really sorry if i said anything wrong friends.....its just i am confused so was asking for your help.....

"Fullmetall" the board P5QL Pro u suggested does not have a firewire which i really need sorry again for not thinking abt it an telling

March 19, 2009 8:09:08 PM

ok "Fullmetall"i just update all what u require to know

Motherboard :- Only INTEL and ASUS
Memory :- Corsair and OCZ
PSU:- Coolermaster
Video Card:- XFX,ATI

and as u see here in india we dont buy things from the net we just collect the information abt the product and then go for shopping for the same.
that what i would like u to tell me....
my major concern is with the CPU MOBO and RAM i guess if these 3 components are good then machine is the best....i get confussed with the ram speed mobo speed and cpu speed compatiability...and if i cut down to a single monitor would u be able to suggest something.....and is this board ASUS bord good P5Q Turbo

sorry to trouble u so much..
March 19, 2009 10:41:00 PM

The Asus P5Q PRO board should be fine,

Memory, look for tight timing in your price. Cas latency of 5 or 4. : 5-5-5-12(15) 4-4-4-12. 2x2gb = 4gb.

Coolermaster PSU hmmm..

Make sure its 80% efficiency. from 500w-550w/600w max unless you want to crossfire then look at 750w and has atleast 35-40a+ for 500w-600w, and 50a+ on 750w railing doesnt matter unless your overclocking then try and find a Single 12v rail.

Video Card: 8800 if you can find them in your area - 9600gt. Im sure you can't find a GTS 250 since there new so, 9800gtx+ is probably over the budget or just at the line, that will limit the x2 for card usage so, if you want ATI, 4830-4850 to enable crossfire for that board.
March 20, 2009 12:06:11 AM

@blackmatchstick

yoh dude where the same, here in the Philippines buying in the net isn't so popular. So the best way to buy items is really to purchase it in your nearest computer store but the problem in buying is that you are limited because of the availability of the items.
March 20, 2009 7:59:20 PM

Hey fellaz now am sorting out what u advised, ill soon get back to u after my selections are over....

|rapankazs|
"very right...its better to research over the internet and the shop from your local store cuz its fast and its easy...at stores u can check and get a hands on experience of what u buying...."

March 20, 2009 8:13:46 PM

I would strongly urge you to not use a Coolermaster PSU. Choose from Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, Antec, PC Power & Cooling brands.

Also for the work you do, a quad core CPU would be a much better fit. I would get a Phenom II on the 790GX chipset and just use onboard graphics...is gaming or your work more important to you? You can't build a computer that will adequately satisfy your gaming and work needs on that budget with two monitors included in the price...maybe if you already had the monitors. The 790gx chipset with onboard graphics will not play crysis, but would do alright in C&C, and Halo, so if you can live without crysis then that can work for you.

Any Particular reason it has to be an Intel Build and Asus or Intel motherboard? Unless you have a good reason like the programs you use aren't compatible or optimized for a core 2 chip, then I would strongly urge you to reconsider, as those kind of brand preferences severely limit your options, which is not something you should not do to yourself when working with such a tight budget.
March 21, 2009 12:48:38 PM

xthekidx said:
I would strongly urge you to not use a Coolermaster PSU. Choose from Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, Antec, PC Power & Cooling brands.

Also for the work you do, a quad core CPU would be a much better fit. I would get a Phenom II on the 790GX chipset and just use onboard graphics...is gaming or your work more important to you? You can't build a computer that will adequately satisfy your gaming and work needs on that budget with two monitors included in the price...maybe if you already had the monitors. The 790gx chipset with onboard graphics will not play crysis, but would do alright in C&C, and Halo, so if you can live without crysis then that can work for you.

Any Particular reason it has to be an Intel Build and Asus or Intel motherboard? Unless you have a good reason like the programs you use aren't compatible or optimized for a core 2 chip, then I would strongly urge you to reconsider, as those kind of brand preferences severely limit your options, which is not something you should not do to yourself when working with such a tight budget.

||xthekidx||

first of all thanks for the response... as u mentioned for the psu by coolermaster, yes i am considering that only....secondly at the moment i really dont need a quad core thing...for the gaming i dont play much games but few and from those few, crysis is one, i am not a fan of onboard graphics sinc win 98 and i sometimes need to arrange music for adds and short films which i have load it on the machine, so i do need the graphic card....and for your last question "Intel Build and Asus or Intel motherboard" why? -- i have been using ASUS MOBO K8NE Deluxe earlier i did not find any problems with it until it now...and there are few of my stuff, which u too said will not be compatible....is another reason from many....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rest u all are right i do need to increase my budget so i think a $100 more would me enough.....and ill get back to u guys with my selections, for you experts to review it before i go in for it......

Thanks again all of u...
March 21, 2009 12:58:56 PM

||FULLMETALL||

Friend is MSI ATI Radeon 4850 good or Palit ATI Radeon 4850....
and a u said Nvidia GTS 250 yes it is available here but bit pricey and secondly its SLI thing not crossfire and my mobo which u said ASUS P5Q Pro, supports ATI CrossFireX so on the later run if i ever plan to do a dual GPU thing ,would not it be a problem...
and Nvidia GTS 250 its being sold her by a company called Leadtek i dont know how good it is never heard of it....

Thanks
March 21, 2009 6:51:02 PM

Well brand wise shouldn't matter, there both the same just different brand name.

Since is a xfire board, go with either.

Is the Coolermaster PSU the only psu brand you can find?
March 22, 2009 5:34:11 AM

fullmetall said:
Well brand wise shouldn't matter, there both the same just different brand name.

Since is a xfire board, go with either.

Is the Coolermaster PSU the only psu brand you can find?

||FULLMETALL||

so would i go with Palit ATI radeon 4850 as a gpu and for the power supply i just know abt the coolermaster
is there any other brand u let me know and ill check it out in my local store for the same....

about the ram the Corsair, here i am getting xms2 with 5-5-5-18 @ 800mhz or should i buy the the dominator thing....
secondly the dominator is in a combination of two 2gb sticks that is total of 4gb @ 1066mhz and 800mhz kits...and another combination is with two 1gb stick total of 2gb @1066 and 800mhz kit....
now i am again confused if i go with the second option and in later if i want another 1 gb ram total making it 3 gb, will there be a problem matching the single chip with the kit thing.....

one more brand is also avaliable which is OCZ any advice upon this

Thanks ...
March 22, 2009 6:26:52 PM

just get the ddr2 800mhz 2x 2gb sticks = 4gb.

dominator set.

Check for PSU: PC Power cooling/Corsair/Antec/Seasonic/OCZ in the 450w-600w range.
March 23, 2009 5:38:52 AM

fullmetall said:
just get the ddr2 800mhz 2x 2gb sticks = 4gb.

dominator set.

Check for PSU: PC Power cooling/Corsair/Antec/Seasonic/OCZ in the 450w-600w range.

||FULLMETAL||

so thanks, almost every thing is final....just two more days and ill be posting my final selections and
would love if u may please have a look and finalize my machine....

thanks
March 23, 2009 10:56:15 AM

I know it is thekid but, he doesn't have much of a choice on anything,

he lives in India so, kinda hard, g.skills isn't avaliable to him

Hey. what PSU did you choose blackmatch,
March 23, 2009 11:00:38 AM

xthekidx said:
Don't get dominators. They are overpriced. I would go for these, I think they are the best buy right now:

||xthekidx||

friend dont mind but are u not reading the post properly...
Quote:
and as u see here in india we dont buy things from the net we just collect the information abt the product and then go for shopping for the same.

secondly friend i also mentioned what all brands are available here....we dont get gskill over here.
and dominator are coming almost in the same price here.... :) 
March 23, 2009 11:06:53 AM

Dominators are fine in quality, they are pretty pricey in my area so, you'll be fine.

As to the question before: Which PSU brands do you have.
March 23, 2009 12:12:06 PM

fullmetall said:
Dominators are fine in quality, they are pretty pricey in my area so, you'll be fine.

As to the question before: Which PSU brands do you have.

friend is there any thing wrong with coolermaster if there is ill try to search bit more in my local stores....i hope ill find something..
actually the store i used to buy my machines have been closed down he used to have all these brands which u mentioned and he also
used to give me discounts for being a loyal customer :-) ...but now i am stuck....however tom ill be going again to a different store to check out...

Quote:
Make sure its 80% efficiency. from 500w-550w/600w max unless you want to crossfire then look at 750w and has atleast 35-40a+ for 500w-600w, and 50a+ on 750w railing doesnt matter unless your overclocking then try and find a Single 12v rail.

as u mentioned an 80% efficiency is must.
so coolermaster, wont this be good!!
http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?langua...

rest u suggested OCZ 600wt PSU ill search for it.....

Thank You
March 23, 2009 12:41:39 PM

If you want to list what you do have available locally (make/model/prices) I'm sure people would be happy to recommend the best options.
March 23, 2009 1:18:25 PM

Cooler master real power pro seems nice blackmatch.

It has 2x6pins and a 4850 needs 1. So if you decide to cossfire later on, you have the extra 6pin available
March 23, 2009 9:12:33 PM

fullmetall said:
Cooler master real power pro seems nice blackmatch.

It has 2x6pins and a 4850 needs 1. So if you decide to cossfire later on, you have the extra 6pin available

cool so coolermaster Real Power Pro 650w Final.... :) 
March 24, 2009 12:01:04 AM

Sounds good.
March 25, 2009 4:57:50 PM

Ok friends

my final selection please have a review

Processor :- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 Ghz
Mobo :- Asus P5Q Pro
Ram :- Corsair XMS2 DDR 2 800Mhz 5-5-5-18 (due to budget constraints, later will upgrade to OCZ) :-)
GPU :- MSI or Palit ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB*
PSU :- Coolermaster Real Power Pro 650w
LCD :- Samsung 2033SW 20" (Only one as of now, again budget ) :-)

one last question MSI or Palit just suggest me one straight.....

so thank you all....
March 25, 2009 5:01:47 PM

MSI over Palit.
March 25, 2009 5:11:18 PM

fullmetall said:
MSI over Palit.

+1
March 25, 2009 5:31:03 PM

So So So So So

THANKS ALL OF YOU

its been so kind of u all to help me out for the best.......

AND my most deepest thanks to

||FULLMETAL|| :) 

as soon i get it build ill post a picture of my setup......

Once again thanks so much...
March 25, 2009 5:47:08 PM

No problem, have fun.
April 10, 2009 8:59:30 PM

HELLO :hello: 

At last i got my new system made, got stuck with some work so was not able to get it build but now its all done..
I am very excited...

all what i got

CPU:- Intel E8400 3.0 Ghz
MOBO:- ASUS P5Q PRO
Ram :- Corsair XMS 2 DHX 4gb kit with 5-5-5-18 or i guess 15 (cant remember)
GPU:- MSI ATI Radeon HD 4850
LCD:- Samsung 20" 2033 SW with 15000:1
PSU:- Coolermaster Real Power Pro 650 watts with 80 plus.

i would be posting pictures of my setup soon...
i want to thank you all once again...

and is there any setting you would like to tell me that i should do in Bios or with OS
cuz i feel its running bit slow...as compared with my old machine. :kaola: 

thanks...
!