Would over-clocking help at all, is it safe to do and what are the the

WrekCreation

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Would over-clocking help at all, is it safe to do and what are the the steps on how to do it.

P.S . could someone please explain what it actually does..

would appreciate some advice.

c_for

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010

The short answer is yes, yesish, depends on your system. Without detailed system specs can't really say anything mroe. I suggest you search the forums for a basics guide aswell as a guide for oc'ing your particular type of cpu. Or it could be your ram/gpu that you want to oc.

About a month ago I decided I wanted to oc. I'm still reading a lot of articles online. There's a lot to read and know about overclocking. But the reward is definately worth the work.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Yeah system specs will help, and what exactly do you need help with? Overclocking is pretty safe when you know what your doing, so like said above, reading a guide or two is a good place to start.

If you want to overclock because a particular program is running sluggish or slow, then overclocking can help. If you want to overclock to running basic office apps, and surf the web, then there really is no point.

WrekCreation

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 210

Basically the over-clocking would be for gaming.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
What resolution and what games are or do you want to play. The 210 isn't particularly strong for gaming, so I'm not sure how much benefit you'll get from overclocking your processor. If your power supply and budget can handle it, there are sub 200 dollar cards that do fairly well for gaming. Then an overclock on the chip to around 3.0ghz would help.

That said your in a position where you could really benefit from a mobo, cpu, vid card upgrade. For around 300.00 you can upgrade to a significantly better/faster setup.