Sign in with
Your question

Sata 2 / 3 transfer rate

Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2010 8:42:03 AM

Hello,

I have an older computer wit Asus P5B-E Plus motherboard.
I have 6 HDD's inside my pc.

I try to copy some files from:
Seagate Serial-ATA II 300 Baracuda 7200

to my new HDD
WD Caviar Black 1 TB, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 7200 RPM

the transfer rate it's around 3600 Kb/sec

it's that normal? what could be the problem?

thanks for any help
Robert

More about : sata transfer rate

a c 126 G Storage
October 10, 2010 1:30:33 PM

You did not mention the used Operating System.

Also, could you show us a screenshot of CrystalDiskMark on your affected drive?
October 10, 2010 2:06:54 PM

Hello,

i use WinXP Pro SP2

Problem seems to come from the old Seagate Serial-ATA II 300 Baracuda 7200.
When i copy files between other HDD it works fine. Just when i combine with that Seagate hdd it's so slow.

here it's the screencapture for Seagate Serial-ATA II 300 Baracuda 7200

and for WD Caviar Black 1 TB, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 7200 RPM

I have installed HD Tune Pro, and i see 2 warnings for Seagate Serial-ATA II 300 Baracuda 7200

that can be solved with a format?

4. my worry it's that now with HD Tune Pro -> Health i see on my first drive (where system it's installed) a warning

thanks,
Robert
Related resources
a c 126 G Storage
October 10, 2010 3:37:33 PM

UDMA CRC Error Count = cabling problems
Current Pending Sector = active bad sectors that will return I/O error when read

Both are serious errors. The SMART data on your 750GB drive does not look too good!

You should backup anything on that drive right now; and then try to heal it by writing zeroes across its entire surface. The low speeds are caused by XP reverting to PIO mode, this is common behavior though very annoying as it keeps using PIO even after the problem is fixed.

But the most important thing you should do now:
- backup data on 750GB drive
- zero-write 750GB drive
- now check SMART on the 750GB drive, Current Pending Sector data-tab should show ZERO (0) as value; most important damage is now fixed
- format and partition the drive per normal and keep an eye on the SMART data; don't store anything on this drive you don't have backed up or isn't important data; you should treat this 750GB drive as suspect for the rest of its lifetime.

The 320GB drive shows a cabling error; but this could just be from months ago and doesn't have to indicate a problem. UDMA CRC Error Count = Cabling errors; bad power adaptor cables can also cause these issues.

As for the low speed on your 750GB; after you fixed the damage on this HDD using zero-write you can change PIO to DMA mode again by:
- click start, right click My Computer, click Properties
- Click on the button that gives you Device Manager window (second tab)
- Now Device Manager is open; look for IDE/SATA storage controller; not sure how yours is called. Primary IDE controller, Secondary IDE controller, Intel AHCI SATA controller; those things you should DELETE/UNINSTALL with the delete button while selecting it.
- Once you deleted all controllers, reboot Windows XP and upon boot they will be found again and installed; but now it uses DMA mode again

After this procedure, your most annoying problems will be fixed; but please be careful and keep good backups! Your HDDs are showing signs of reduced reliability.
a c 126 G Storage
October 10, 2010 3:39:28 PM

Oh i should add; zero-writing cannot be done with Formatting in XP; as that only reads data not overwrite it. You can download Eraser, which is an open source program for data erasure; but should be able to use it to write random junk across the entire drive. Lot's of other utilities exist that can 'zero-write' your drive.

It does not matter what you write to the drive, as long as all data on the drive is at least overwritten once. This would ensure that all your current pending sectors (bad sectors) will be swapped for reserve sectors, after which that particular problem (bad sectors) is fixed and can no longer cause problems.
October 10, 2010 6:14:35 PM

Hello,

thanks for all info but .............. unfortunatelly for the moment the 750 Gb just dissapeard from Windows
it's visible when computer boots in bios, but not in windows

not visible even in My Computer -> Disk Management

if i remember it was a dynamic drive

i have backup of it in 95% .... i think the rest of 5% it's lost !?!
can you recommend a software that could make me visible / maybe to save the last 5%

Seagate File Recovery service quote that recovery to 2000 EUR .....

thanks,
Robert
a c 126 G Storage
October 10, 2010 6:33:08 PM

You can use Active@ File Recovery to search for lost partitions; but the problem is you will encounter its bad sectors and it will disconnect your disk again; Windows doesn't like disks that don't respond.

You could use Ultimate Boot CD and use one of their utilities to zero-write your drive, but indeed that would cause you to loose data. If you insist on keeping your data, you can use advanced software recovery with Spinrite, which is a commercial product without demo/test version. Both Ultimate Boot CD and Spinrite work outside of Windows.
!