Hang, Hang and there it goes

tijmen007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Well I've got myself another problem, this one hasn't killed yet my pc but maybe it will kill it in the future.
The problem is somewhere during the booting sequence, the pc kicks in the fans ( Wind speed 10 for my Graphics card, man what a noise ) and then the IDE ( At least I assume ) detection starts, hard drives make some noise and then the CD rom gives a sign of life. Then the system makes some weird High pitched noise ( You have to listen carefully though ) and restarts, for like 15 times and then it just passes the boot and fires up Windows 7 like nothing has happend. The problem costs a lot of time since the booting takes ages now, at least it feels like it does. Tried disconnecting the CD rom drive, no change, tried Memtest86+ ( although my memory is 64-bit, single channel ), no change. I disconnected the cd-rom drive cause I thought it was the problem because of it crashes after detecting it. Both my HD's are SATA, the CD-rom drive is PATA ( IDE ). Changing the graphics card did not change anything either ( HD2900XT - > HD4770 ). It started when I still had my lovely old HD2900XT, but then it did not reboot for like 15 times only 2 or so. I haven't got any experiments left for sorting out which part is the troublemaker, though I have my doubts about my powersupply ( Sweex 650Watt, not a very good brand for PSUs ).

My full system specifications are listed in my signature. The high pitched beep/noise is not related to the diagnostic beeps from the bios itself, since I disconnected the speaker. When I connect the speaker it makes such a hard damn noise, like a freaking jet would make if it said BEEP when it took off. It's not short, it's like a hell of a noise. Sites suggest it has to do with overheating.
-CPU IDLE 42 C
-CPU LOAD 50-55 C
-GPU IDLE 50 C
-GPU LOAD 58 C
I do not see any overheating issues here, though my system crashes pretty hard when I try to run any OC utillity for the CPU. Prime95 does not report any problems as well.

Hopefully this will tell you enough to help me out,
Thanks in advance !

Tijmen

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
The problem is somewhere during the booting sequence, the pc kicks in the fans ( Wind speed 10 for my Graphics card, man what a noise ) and then the IDE ( At least I assume ) detection starts, hard drives make some noise and then the CD rom gives a sign of life. Then the system makes some weird High pitched noise ( You have to listen carefully though ) and restarts, for like 15 times and then it just passes the boot and fires up Windows 7 like nothing has happened.
Sounds like a motherboard problem to me.
Have you tried updating BIOS to latest? Do a 'reset to default', re-tweak all settings in BIOS and try again.

Sounds to me that the motherboard is recovering from a bios setting that it does not like.

Most likely it is the ram setting. Run memtest86+ for a full pass with NO errors to verify that the ram is ok.
What does cpu-z say about the memory speeds you are running at?

If you have any overclocking active, reset to default.

I would not update the bios unless an update seems to address a problem that you have. A failed bios can permanently render your motherboard useless.

I say do a couple of passes with memtest to make sure the memory is fine. Anyway it sounds like a capacitor problem. Check your motherboard for leaky capacitors. Check if they are bulging and if there is any liquid, or dried junk that use to be liquid, on top or on the bottom of the capacitors. It could also be a PSU problem so if the motherboard seems fine then try a different PSU.

CabbageGT

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
It does sound similar to what happent to me when my PSU blew up, It restarted afew times. and I remember Leaving it 4 Tea, I was sat around the table eating and there was this burning smell. went up stairs to find my pc was off and only the fans would spin for a split second at the touch of the button

If the Psu is to weak then that high pitch screech could be the GPU not receaving power. If I took the pci-e molex out ot my Graphics cards it sould do the same.

I remember reading that the hd2xxx xt cards consume lots of power and are a real strain on the PSU

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
When you say it restarts multiple (15) times, where about in the POST process does it restarts? Or do you just hear it restarting (noise from optical drive) without seeing the POST screen at? Before it finally displays POST and boots all the way through.