Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking AMD Phenom ii x4 945 @ 3.01 ghz. plz plz help

Last response: in Overclocking
November 11, 2010 3:10:33 PM

Hello and respect to all,

Recently something striked on my mind and it is related to Flight Simulator X. My Pc can play it on almost very high settings with bloom/hdr mod with minimum 18 fps AND MAX 68 FPS. I now want to purchase PMDG md-11 and PMDG 747 payware aircrafts with real environment extreme. I discussed it on you tube and some users suggested me to overclock your CPU in order to run those paywares optimally.

I have an AMD Phenom II x4 945 @ 3.01 ghz and is now in need to overclock it to 3.4 ghz min. My stock cooler is in good condition. Would you guys plz suggest me best way to overclock it and what are the maximum possible values i.e ghz. I am concerned about heating issues and don't want to ruin it.

Which is best overclocking utility? How to stable overclocks? What is the maximum limit?
My cpu is not black edition.
Also can I unlock cores in it??? i.e quad to hexa core. My mobo supports it.
do I need any extra cooling agent or stock cooling is enough???

Any help, suggestions and answers would be highly appriciated

ram 4gb ddr2
mobo asus m4a78-em/1394
gpu 9800gt oc
November 11, 2010 3:43:00 PM

Since you don't have a BE with unlocked multiplier, it will be a little more work. Look for a good guide and follow the directions for reference clock overclocking.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/525113-phenom-ii-o...

1. You could download AMD Overdrive to change settings in Windows, but it doesn't make it a whole lot easier. Using the BIOS is the best way.

2. No unlocking cores. You have a Deneb processor, not a Thuban! There was talk of Thubans with 2 disabled cores, but afaik they haven't been released.

3. Cooling will all depend on your temps. Run a monitoring program while stress testing (I use HWMonitor). You can find out the max temp for your processor from the AMD website.

You can use prime95, OCCT, IBT to stress test. Just make sure to keep an eye on those temps!
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 12, 2010 1:33:55 AM

Which is best overclocking utility? How to stable overclocks? What is the maximum limit? My cpu is not black edition. Also can I unlock cores in it??? i.e quad to hexa core. My mobo supports it.
do I need any extra cooling agent or stock cooling is enough???

1. Via BIOS
2. untill u want maybe 4.2Ghz but Vcore 1.5xx or more
3. your mobo doesnot support Unlock Core
4. yess u can buy aftermarket for good OC use Air Cooling for Extreme OC use Water Cooling
Related resources
November 12, 2010 7:41:03 AM

what will damage my cpu?
OC'ing? or Heat?
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 12, 2010 7:58:06 AM

1. Overheat first time Kill CPU
2. OC extreme general in Over VOLT
November 14, 2010 12:48:44 AM

ATi RaDEoN said:
what will damage my cpu?
OC'ing? or Heat?

Heat, which is usually a byproduct of upping the voltage and the clock rate by OC'ing.

Too much voltage can also kill a chip.
!