Need your input on this upgrade.

chickenfox

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
Ram: Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4GB DDR2 2X2GB (already have)
GFX Card: 4850/4870/GTX2xx? Undecided.
Case: Antec Sonata II (already have)
PSU: Seasonic S12II 500W (already have)

I have a M2A-VM mobo that I'm using at the moment with my 4800+ and I know it works with the Phenom II processors so should I stick with the mobo I have no I buy that Gigabye one listed above? Also, I noticed that gfx cards are going down in prices now so I've been playing the waiting game lately. Which gfx card seems good? I'll be playing on 1440x900 resolution and I'd like everything on max if possible. Thanks for your time!

Actually I would get this mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387

It has the latest SB750, which has a BIOS option of ACC, which helps in stable overclocking of the Phenoms...And there is a lot of news that by turning this option to ON, activates the locked 4th core in the X3 720...So y not give it a try...
Anyways u will have a mobo which has gud features...

And as for the graphics card +1 for the 4850...U can add another later in crossfire in the Mobo which I have suggested...

I thought PII had ACC built into it...
BUT, the comment about unlocking the 4th core (if you have the right chip, as apparently it doesn't work for all of them) merits consideration. I'm not sure how worthwhile it will be, as I've also read the 4th core may not be Prime95 stable.

Pardon me...

"GUD" is not a word in the English language. It looks like it would rhyme with "mud." If you mean "good," please spell it that way. Thank you.

/endrant

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I would keep the mobo and spend the money on the best graphics card my money can buy..For me, whatever the used resolution is, there is no overdue graphics card, the games are becoming more and more demanding than ever, and if you want to play each and every game at max setting , 4xAA and max res, anything less than GTX 280/285 may disappoint you (in crysis, GTA IV, and total war empire and even medieval II !!!), and I may even go 4870x2 if I can afford it....Please pay attention to the PSU , while the 500 watt might be enouph, the 12v amperage might not.
Don't go spending extra money on a mobo merely to enable the 4th core. This might not work, the 4th core can be unstable and with the extra money you can buy a better GFX card which will have a much greater impact on gaming performance.
Hope you find my advice useful. If you any other questions just ask.

Well please look into the dictionary...
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/GUD
I think am right :ouch: Well the dictionary might be wrong :p
Please rather than trying to find fault, help others...

And for the ACC I meant for the Phenoms and not the Phenom II...Its just additional info...