Monitor/GPU Balance

drakleon84

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
So the Samsung 24" 1920x1200 I was about to order just went out of stock on newegg. Frustrated I started comparing similar monitors again (I was finally settled and happy with that one!) in the $279 range, which gave me an ASUS/Acer/Sceptre, all at 1920x1200 native, widescreen 24's. The Acer having won a little Customer Award.

I read that LCD Advice thread for about the 15th time, trying to find a similar model 'recommended' in it, to no avail. I finally broke down and just went up a notch for the BenQ 24" 1080p model that seems to come highly recommended across the board, even though it's a bit out of my budget.

How do you guys feel about the value of moving up into that price range for a 24" monitor if you're only looking to spend about $280-300 on your GPU? (I'm going for the Gigabyte 285 / 1 GB model). Obviously it's stupid to spend $500 on a 295 when you're only running a 24" monitor and not playing Crysis in full AA/AF while simeltaniously editing 6 RAW photos in Photoshop and playing Zoo Tycoon in 3 different windows, as from what I've come to understand, unless you're in the 27-30" monitor range, the next step up or two in resolution and possibly running 2 monitors, the best 'bang' long-term high end solution without hitting diminishing returns to hard would be a card in that price range.

So does a $370 monitor seem like overkill in that department? How futureproof is a monitor such as the BenQ? Will it last through my next generation of GPU provided I have no desire to go any larger than 24" for gaming?

Thanks!

DiscoDuck

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I think you are in the right ballpark with your monitor and video card pairing. That card will likely max out most games at that resolution. The toms march guide for video cards can give advice how much to pay to get the goods at that resolution.

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
I have a humble 9800GT and I have a 1080p HDTV and I've played Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, DoW 2, Fear 2 on High settings (1 step down from whatever is the highest), normally with 2x AA and 4x AF at 1920x1080p no problem. Crysis makes my video card cry though at that resolution though so I had scale stuff back to play.

I'm confident that you'll find that the GTX 285 will probably play Crysis Max settings pretty flawlessly.

I'm not sure what features are on the BenQ, if it tunes TV and has an array of connections (dvi, vga, hdmi, composite, digital audio out) as well then I would say its worth the money, other wise it sounds hella over priced.

Monitors have always been something I want to see in person before I buy to see if I can SEE a difference between high and low end models in the same category. The quality of imaged produced by a TV or monitor is very subjective, I only use specs as a guide (like response time, contrast level, etc)

This looks good to me. I like the 178/178 viewing angle. I think Samsung makes the panels for dell.

Get the best monitor you feel comfortable paying for. You will be looking at it for a long time. It will outlast several generations of vga cards.

Even better. It looks like the panel from the samsung 275T which I have. I got it because the normal text size on a web page was too small for my eyes with the 24" version.