Sign in with
Your question

GTX 275 Released: newegg.com $259+

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 11, 2009 10:45:59 PM

Wow, more expensive than a 4890 and the 4890 outperforms them. I was expecting the GTX 275 to be about $240. QUICK NVIDIA GET SOME MIRs!
April 12, 2009 12:05:29 AM

10 dollars more =p and they perform the same... Nvidia gets free call of duty w.a.r. ati apparently is giving out 4 gig OCZ flash drives imo flash drive better lol :) 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2009 4:34:27 AM

spathotan said:
These cards have been on Newegg for over a week. Also, they perform the same as the 4890 so lets not get carried away in this....again. http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3539

From the article: "At 1680 x 1050 and 1920 x 1200 the 4890 is nearly undefeated. At 2560 x 1600, it seems to be pretty much a wash between the two cards"

The perform the same eh? Seems that is decisive for the 4890, regardless if its just a 5-10% here or there.
April 12, 2009 4:55:29 AM

Jaysin said:
From the article: "At 1680 x 1050 and 1920 x 1200 the 4890 is nearly undefeated. At 2560 x 1600, it seems to be pretty much a wash between the two cards"

The perform the same eh? Seems that is decisive for the 4890, regardless if its just a 5-10% here or there.

The rise in ATI fanboism on this site is just staggering, really. Its made half the people on this site blind. Case in point ^

Anyways, even in the article summary Anand has said and I quote, "Two new GPUs at the $250 price point battle it out. Guess what? Both GPUs perform about the same. " And after actually reading the review and what not youll see the typical scenario of competitors, which is Card A is better at X while Card B is better at Y. Its really that simple.

Out of all the sites I read this is the only site that has a community which is just completely brainwashed by the hype of the 4890. Completely brainwashed. Even people that have no intent on buying either cards.

Oh, and you "forgot" to quote the line of "On a pure performance level the 4890 and GTX 275 trade blows at different resolutions. The 4890 tends to look better at lower resolutions while the GTX 275 is more competitive at high resolutions." Just like always with any PC hardware its a "chose which fits your needs" scenario.

Comming from somebody who could care less about company loyality and being biased, I can say these threads are making me sick. Literally sick, to the point where any mention of PC hardware of any kind is making me cringe. The lengths that some of these people will go to defend their favorite companies is embarrassing.
April 12, 2009 5:41:00 AM

Yeah, I wish people would stop drooling over ATI. Just went from nvidia to ATI and do I wish I had stuck with nvidia. They were a lot more stable, great drivers, rich color, great. Damn ATI, can't you really release a STABLE driver?
April 12, 2009 5:47:48 AM

spathotan said:
These cards have been on Newegg for over a week. Also, they perform the same as the 4890 so lets not get carried away in this....again. http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3539

+1
Ive known about the release to the US for a while now.
April 12, 2009 6:53:35 AM

spathotan said:
The rise in ATI fanboism on this site is just staggering, really. Its made half the people on this site blind. Case in point ^

Anyways, even in the article summary Anand has said and I quote, "Two new GPUs at the $250 price point battle it out. Guess what? Both GPUs perform about the same. " And after actually reading the review and what not youll see the typical scenario of competitors, which is Card A is better at X while Card B is better at Y. Its really that simple.

Out of all the sites I read this is the only site that has a community which is just completely brainwashed by the hype of the 4890. Completely brainwashed. Even people that have no intent on buying either cards.

Oh, and you "forgot" to quote the line of "On a pure performance level the 4890 and GTX 275 trade blows at different resolutions. The 4890 tends to look better at lower resolutions while the GTX 275 is more competitive at high resolutions." Just like always with any PC hardware its a "chose which fits your needs" scenario.

Comming from somebody who could care less about company loyality and being biased, I can say these threads are making me sick. Literally sick, to the point where any mention of PC hardware of any kind is making me cringe. The lengths that some of these people will go to defend their favorite companies is embarrassing.

there are a number of PPL blinded by nvidia on this site, or cant see the wood for the tree's, the ATI card gets the best of this card in most games, not by much but it is clearly the winner, so wake up and smell the coffee little man
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2009 7:07:51 AM

Nvidia has way better drivers, and way less glitches/bugs with their software.
ATI has more performance for your buck.

I've had 5 Nvidia cards: 5500, 7600, 7300, 9800GTX, and 9800GTX+ ...never had issues with any one of them
I've had 2 ATI cards: 9200 and a 4650, and they always seem to be buggy when playing games.

ATI wins in hardware. Nvidia wins in software.
April 12, 2009 7:29:10 AM

^^that all depends no who is installing them, some say nvidia's drivers are bad some say its ATI that has bad drivers, i have not run into problems with drivers from ether manufacturer, the only problem i have, are PPL that don't know how to uninstall a driver from one manufacturer then install drivers from the other, run into problems and blame there stupidity on BAD drivers.

i would even go as far as to say that 95% of the reported bad ATI drivers on this site are caused by the left over nvidia drivers, so at the end of the day you can blame nvidia for ATIs bad drivers
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2009 7:34:23 AM

Well then, I fall under that other 5% because I've uninstalled every trace of anything Nvidia related. And reinstalled the ATI drivers twice.

Nvidia's system tools are also way better than ATI's CCC.

Nvidia wins in software...no doubts about it.
April 12, 2009 7:39:35 AM

Okay lets go with this how many ppl own both ati and nvidia cards. Because i purchase both. Imo a 2-6 fps difference in games be it ati or nvidia ahead (not including grinds and l4d 20+ fps diff lol but really it's already over 65 do i care?) Really they perform more or less the same across the board given the ati card has a trend of being a few fps faster on lower resolution with AA turned up and the nvidia card runs a bit faster with higher resolution with AA turned up. I mark the AA because nvidia cards have a bad habit or loosing a ton of fps when AA is turned on although x4 is hardly maxed up and perfectly reasonable AA for a lot of games to clean it up.

I still hold true unless you are buying for very specific games you will be playing
4890 vs 275 same
260 (216)vs 4870 1gig same
so buy w.e you wish maybe you think the nvidia card is prettier then go with that.

Edit: I will say dealing with CCC vs System Tools i've found System Tools a ton friendlier and easier to handle hooking up to tv and tweaking etc, imo in terms of lay out nvidia is seemly cleaner. But really it's your prerogative so what if CCC may be a bit harder to work with mostly people wont be messing around with it so that really neglible.

Although it may have changed last CCC i played with was on a 3000's series awhile back for a friends comp.
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2009 8:42:19 AM

First, I certainly am not an ATI fanboi. On three computers I use dual 9800 GTs, one 8800 GTS 512, and dual 8800 GTS (older 320 mb). However, I'm starting to see the more of a hype that Nvidia uses more than trying to really place value in the consumers' hands.

For $169 after rebate I can get the new GTX 260 with 216 cores. Why spend almost another $100 for a peformance gain I probably won't notice since my 22" monitor only goes to 1680 X 1050? My fastest processor is an e8400 that I run at 3.6 GHz. From my benchmarks, when I overclock the e8400 at 4.0 GHz, my 8800 GTS 512 becomes the bottleneck in my system. So I am looking to upgrade my videocard.

Back to my point, unless I just had the money to waste and was willing to go dump it by spending an additonal $800 for a Core i7, an LGA 1355 motherboard, and a 24" monitor, then it won't make a difference between the GTX 260 and GTX 275 so why the $100 price separation between the two?? The answer - Nvidia market hype.

Unless you have a system running faster than an overclocked e8400 and at least a 24" monitor, then you won't get any value in the $259 price for the GTX 275. If I bought that card, it's like buying and driving a Lamborghini to drive (or crawl) around L.A. full time congested freeways. I have the car and bragging rights but I get no practical use out of it and it's impossible to rev the engine (unless you take it to the track which means buying a brand new motherboard, Core i7, DDR 3, etc, etc....

The GTX 275 at this price is a rip-off.
April 12, 2009 2:28:52 PM

It is ridiculous how many nVidia fanboys there are with the "ATI's driver suck" crap being thrown around, next time try the damn drivers before you type something unfounded on the forums. ATI driver = nVidia drivers, you can take my word for that because I'm sure I have installed more drivers in 1 month than any of you have in a year.

Spath you are correct, I meant to say the 4890 OC which is still cheaper after MIR and outpaces even the GTX 285 at times.

ATI drivers = nVidia drivers

Hopefully repetition will help you people learn it.

/close thread
April 12, 2009 3:36:30 PM

Ive personally never had issues with ATI or Nvidia drivers, and if I did it was due to my own mistakes such as reinstalling without a reboot due to being in a hurry/stupid. Alot of these driver issues stim from fanboism.
a c 363 U Graphics card
April 12, 2009 4:41:09 PM

For me I would probably go with the HD 4890 at this point in time for the following reasons:

1. Lower price with the rebates (assuming I get it)
2. Better performance in Fallout 3 (the only game I am playing that get benchmarked in reviews, don't see any for X3 - Terran Conflict)
3. Lower power consumption 'cause eventually the HD 4890 (unless I change my mind) will replace the 9600GT in my HTPC.
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2009 5:22:25 PM

4890 or gtx 275??
hmmm whatever is cheaper makes sense!
=D
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2009 10:31:35 PM

well, i agree with the driver issues, i have had systems on both the green and the red side

i guess whatever card you choose is preference, really, are you going to notice a 20+fps gap at 100+fps, or even a 2fps gap at 30fps, probably not, get what you want
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2009 10:33:23 PM

Quote:
Its not an ATI issue, its a user issue.

It's an issue regarding an ATI graphics card....so yes, it would be technically classified as an "ATI issue."

April 13, 2009 1:42:05 AM

jaguarskx, the 275 has lower power consumption than the 4890 and My last card was a 8600GT apart from it breaking I had no driver problems or anything else. With my 4850 because of a driver update, it went bad and I had to install windows again.
April 13, 2009 2:06:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
jaguarskx, the 275 has lower power consumption than the 4890 and My last card was a 8600GT apart from it breaking I had no driver problems or anything else. With my 4850 because of a driver update, it went bad and I had to install windows again.

....now thats the funniest thing I read all day. Thanks for the laugh. Obviously you tried to run a ATI video card and drivers while still having Nvidia drivers and files on your computer which caused conflicts..........another user error but blamed on ATI yet again. LOL.

Funny all the hundreds of review sites and not one of them has ever mentioned bad ATI drivers or problems with ATI drivers. Amazing isnt it.

You sure do assume a lot. He might have had the drivers or he might have uninstalled and cleaned the drivers. Ok lets talk about ati drivers. Windows 7 and crossfire still has problems. A new build with win 7 clean install would crash with crossfire enabled. We had to install win vista to make the xfire stable. Whereas a different build with win 7 and sli worked flawless from the get go. Ohh and another thing. The 4870 xfire setup is hooked up to a kvm. Everytime you switch to a different pc and back the ati looses its resolution. you have to reinstall the card or monitor drivers for it to accept anything over 1680x1050.You people are delusional if you think either maker does not have problems.
April 13, 2009 2:16:39 AM

Crossfire problems will always exist. They just dont care enough, just ask anybody using two 4870X2's. But AMD sure is quick to market that Spider and Dragon platform.

The 2 card scailing is good....if you can find a game that actually supports crossfire.
April 13, 2009 4:03:19 AM

win7 has not even reached retail yet, thickO
April 13, 2009 4:17:36 AM

And your point is? Everyone is talking up how good their drivers are and this should not be an exception. Nvidia drivers have been right from the get go with win 7. As I have stated that both companies have problems. Funny how the fan boys will find a way to defend their fav no matter what. I run both nvidia and Ati side by side in seperate computers. I see the issues with both when they happen.
April 13, 2009 4:21:58 AM

if they suck by the time win7 is released then you can complain, until that time STFU
April 13, 2009 4:26:01 AM

Why should I give ati the leeway to not work on their drivers just because a program is in the final beta. You are pretty bad fanboy and get offended and bitchy when someone does not agree with you. You really should grow up and see the whole world around you. I can not stand fanboys that are blind to the whole world and spout crap out thier ars like it is gospel. If you can not accept that there are issues with both companies you really have no buisness giving crap advise. Not to mention being civil on a public family forum.
April 13, 2009 4:28:01 AM

Mmmmm yeah trollfest fanboy battle gogo!
April 13, 2009 4:33:57 AM

Pigbearman said:
Mmmmm yeah trollfest fanboy battle gogo!

To be a fanboy one has to blindly love one over the other. I am far from a fanboy. I look at facts and offer my customers based on their needs not preferences. I see good and bad in both ati, nvidia, intel,amd, and pretty much all parts.For personal use I will use all the products. I buy the fastest at the time no matter who it is made by. I have recommended the 4870, 4890, gtx 260, and gtx 285 all based on needs. I am just tired of people thinking the fotm in infallible.
a c 363 U Graphics card
April 13, 2009 4:49:45 AM

random1283 said:
jaguarskx, the 275 has lower power consumption than the 4890

Well... Yes and No, with a caveat...

Anandtech's review show when idle the GTX 275 consumes 33w less, but under load the GTX consumes 24w more than the HD 4890. Anandtech measures total system power consumption so other system component fluctuations can affect the perceived video card power consumption.

REVIEW
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3539&p=22

The caveat is that Xbitlab's review of the HD 4890 shows it consumes 21w less than the HD 4870 1GB (the GTX 275 was not part of the review) when idling. However, Anandtech's review shows there is only a 6w difference between total power consumption of the the HD 4890 and the HD 4870 1GB. Therefore if the 15w difference was applied to the Anandtech's review then the GTX 275 would only consume 18w less than the HD 4890.

Review
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-h...

Since Xbitlab's setup is designed to specifically measure the video card power consume by itself, I will wait for their review between the GTX 275 and HD 4890.

As stated, the game I am currently playing is Fallout 3 so since the HD 4890 has a 18+% performance edge over the GTX 275 I will probably buy it. But that depends on just how much $$$ I owe Uncle Sam, and I definitely know I owe money.
April 13, 2009 4:53:30 AM

jaguarskx said:
Well... Yes and No, with a caveat...

Anandtech's review show when idle the GTX 275 consumes 33w less, but under load the GTX consumes 24w more than the HD 4890. Anandtech measures total system power consumption so other system component fluctuations can affect the perceived video card power consumption.

REVIEW
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3539&p=22

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/radeonhd4890_040209033751/18768.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/radeonhd4890_040209033751/18769.png

The caveat is that Xbitlab's review of the HD 4890 shows it consumes 21w less than the HD 4870 1GB (the GTX 275 was not part of the review) when idling. However, Anandtech's review shows there is only a 6w difference between total power consumption of the the HD 4890 and the HD 4870 1GB. Therefore if the 15w difference was applied to the Anandtech's review then the GTX 275 would only consume 18w less than the HD 4890.

Since Xbitlab's setup is designed to specifically measure the video card power consume by itself, I will wait for their review between the GTX 275 and HD 4890.

As stated, the game I am currently playing is Fallout 3 so since the HD 4890 has a 18+% performance edge over the GTX 275 I will probably buy it. But that depends on just how much $$$ I owe Uncle Sam, and I definitely know I owe money.

If the games you play have better performance with the 4890 then I would not hesitate to go for it. You could even oc it and get performance closer to the gtx 285 without paying the extra money.
a c 363 U Graphics card
April 13, 2009 4:55:58 AM

chef7734 said:
If the games you play have better performance with the 4890 then I would not hesitate to go for it. You could even oc it and get performance closer to the gtx 285 without paying the extra money.

I'll wait until after I figure out just how much taxes I owe.
April 13, 2009 6:24:48 PM

Quote:
Oh no.....lol......so crossfire and windows 7 has some bugs........Windows 7 isnt even released......I see your grasping at straws now.....still not making any valid points......walks away shaking head.

You really are thick aren't you. First off the pc is no longer running win 7 and still has a few issues because of crossfire. On a second not why should I not worry about it working on a client that is about to be released. Do you think that once it is released it will magically work?The RC should be any time now. Back to my point. Neither nvidia nor ati are perfect. If I have clients that want a multi card setup am I going to recommend a crossfire setup first, no. I will recommend a sli setup as it is more stable than an x fire setup. If they want a good price /performance fast single card I will most likely recommend a 4890.
April 13, 2009 6:30:40 PM

^agree

For multi-GPU setups SLI is clearly the way to go due to its huge amount of support across titles. However ATI does have better bang for the buck single GPU solutions usually.
April 13, 2009 7:15:00 PM

I have seen plenty of information to argue against that. At this point saying either crossfire or SLI is better than the other is purely ridiculous when both bring about the same increase in performance across all titles. I have not seen 1 set of benchmarks that show SLI pulling ahead of crossfire in anything except tri-SLI vs quad-crossfire, and tri-SLI as well as tri-crossfire do better than both quad-crossfire and quad-SLI consistently.
April 13, 2009 8:04:26 PM

Thats not what I ment. I ment the number of titles that support Crossfire is extremely low, or enough to make it worthwhile. Its the sole reason why I ditched my 4850 CF setup, it was a total waste in every sense.
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2009 9:17:40 PM

spathotan said:

We are entering the "spin zone". Is this the O'Reilly factor? I just pointed that your beloved review pretty much said the opposite of what you did. There was no fanboism there at all. losing in 2 of 3 resolutions and being equal in another does not make these "the same".
April 14, 2009 1:31:54 AM

I'd have to agree spath here.

I mean most ppl I see typing information purely on faith and company patterns, which we all know business isn't a pattern, its an evolution and an adaptive approach.

LIke I said, each company has its disadvantages, Nvidia doesn't like giving the user everything they can get out of their price (example 275 GTX can't sli with the 295 GTX, forced nvidia chipsets and no 4 physical card support are some), while ATI just can't get it together with drivers, and still hasn't gottent he full use of their quad fire 4870 X2 which is lacking, and who ever says its flawless is kidding themselves.

Ppl can't see the problems with each company.

And yes I've seen the increase in the ATI fanbase, just like I saw the increase in Nvidia fanbase when the 8800 series came out.

We'll see either another shift with the 300 sereis or the 5000s or an increase in ATI faith from the 4000 series.

Its always going to be like that, the 4000 series was underestimated by Nvidia, I'd give the win to the 4000s for this semester, but I still think that there are more Nvidia owners out there than ATI owners, so over all I still think Nvidia is on top for both money made and market share.

I might get flamed by that, but its opinion and what I've seen.

it sure looks like it for steam owners:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

64.72% nVIDIA 27.25% ATI

So I'd say Nvidia for steam owners is about 40% more market share than ATI.

I dunno frankly I don't care, I think console gaming is more quality in my opinion, what pissed me off was when I found out that FIFA 09 for PC is a ps2 port no widescreen nothing...I just lost faith...a ps2 port, a port off a 10 yr old console system. My lord!
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2009 2:21:30 AM

L1qu1d said:
ATI just can't get it together with drivers, and still hasn't gottent he full use of their quad fire 4870 X2 which is lacking, and who ever says its flawless is kidding themselves.

Holy crap! Run for the hillz! You're about to be torn to shreds!!!
April 14, 2009 2:26:06 AM

Frankly I don't care , its true. Driver support isn't there, Considering most stayed with 8.12 + hotfix till either 9.3 or 9.4.

I'm not saying it can't get better, but its not there.

I know for sure I'll get shreded, but it will be with empty words, and no1 can say that ATi has been more consistent with driver than Nvidia.

Neither company has amazing drivers, but there is 1 company that has lesser than that.
Thats half the reason I dropped the 4870 X2, and am buying the 4770 ATI asap.
April 14, 2009 2:28:43 AM

Incomming mindless flame post by rangers in 5...4...3.....
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2009 2:31:52 AM

a good example of a blind fanboy:

Funny all the hundreds of review sites and [b said:
not one of them has ever mentioned bad ATI drivers or problems with ATI drivers. Amazing isnt it.]Funny all the hundreds of review sites and not one of them has ever mentioned bad ATI drivers or problems with ATI drivers. Amazing isnt it.
[/b]

heres what anandtech has to say before the 8.12 hotfix:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3463

By now, many people know about the AMD driver issues that have plagued their Far Cry 2 performance and consistency said:
By now, many people know about the AMD driver issues that have plagued their Far Cry 2 performance and consistency

amazing indeed. i dont see any reason why an individual would be so "emotionally attached" to ati/nvidia, well unless they're working for them. but other than that, it really fails.
April 14, 2009 1:05:57 PM

Quote:
OMG, Liquid and Chef, you two should get together and have a beer over a couple nvidia driver updates...lol

Wheresmycar, 8.14 was ages ago, were talking about the present. Were on 9.4 now in case your a bit behind.

You are so blind. Someone points out something wrong with your precious ati and and you get defensive. There are still issues with 9.4 just like there are issues with nvidia. I have never said nvidia is perfect, but once someone says something about ati you loose all concept of reality and go into defensive mode. I do not understand why you can not admit neither company is perfect and there are issues with both. That is true fanboyism.
April 14, 2009 1:36:37 PM

Why can't someone start a 3rd company? I'd definitely switch over to it. Is there a rule there should be only two competitors in both the CPU and GPU market? Intel and AMD, ATI and Nvidia? Why can't we get a third choice?
April 14, 2009 1:39:42 PM

There has been third party in the past. Voodoo and matrox to name a few. Problem is they can not compete with the big dogs.
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2009 3:00:37 PM

Wheresmycar, 8.14 was ages ago, were talking about the present. Were on 9.4 now in case your a bit behind. said:
Wheresmycar, 8.14 was ages ago, were talking about the present. Were on 9.4 now in case your a bit behind.

no you fu*ktard, you said not one of the hundreds of review site out there never ever mentioned a problem with an ati driver. i proved you wrong.

you used the word "ever" on your post right? that word is used to make a statement final, conclusive and irreversible until proven otherwise (which i did).

you're another dumb fanboi.
April 14, 2009 9:13:02 PM

Quote:
OMG, Liquid and Chef, you two should get together and have a beer over a couple nvidia driver updates...lol

Thats 8.12, only 12 months in a year BTW. Anyways, 8.12 is significant because its the last solid driver that has been stable for most people in most systems generally. 9.1 9.2 and 9.3 have had random issues allegedly that 8.12 does not, but of course you will argue this to which I will ignore. Besides, its not necessary to update drivers every single update so the time frame really means nothing at all.
!