Afforable Mid-Tower Case Thread

drakleon84

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
A lot of grea recommendations get moved around here in the affordable case department. xxKidxx is in love with the COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case for it's affordable price, no non-sense frills style and tons of open 120mm bays. Whereas I see a lot of people moving up a price point for the Antec 900, which is a bit flashier with built-in 120mm blue-LED fans and case window, and I think the price actually isn't to out of line with the Coolermaster as it comes built with a 200mm fan and 3 120mm fans already installed.

Also, you can find pretty affordable LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, and if you're even a big Thermaltake fanboy, you can pick up an Armor Series for a decent price (if albeit double the price of the coolermaster almost).

I'm wondering if some of you that have had more experience with these cases (my last 2 builds have been Centurions) and could weigh in a bit more detail the pros and cons of these cases (and any other big sellers I failed to mention). What kind of build warrents moving up a price point in case? Are you really getting any performance boosts going from a $70 case to a $120 case? What if there's a great deal on a case in the mid-range with a good sized ($30 rebate) that knocks it within $30 of a case a tier down, should you take the jump?

Hope some discussion can occur here that people can reference who are doing builds and are a bit in the dark with the case debate. (I'm personally about to order the Coolermaster, but I can't help but debate going up $30 for the Antec 900, or maybe one of these other options).

:)

Budget

If you plan on running dual vid cards (SLI/Crossfire) then the CM690 is the obvious choice. If your going a single card set up then it comes down to the CM590 and the Antec 300. It's all about cooling/airflow,room for what you need, and of course the builders budget. A CM690 cost what... $80 US tops, yet it's probably one of the best bets you can get for a case that has room for dual vids, is set up for 7 x 120mm case fans, yet it lacks the frills (non needed crap) some other more expensive cases include.

jjbtexas

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
i am personally getting sick of the 900. it is a great case don't get me wrong but i would much rather go with a CM 690. Also with the new 900 2 coming in at $150 and inevitable fade out of the original 900, you won't catch me at the checkout counter with a 900 without a 50% off price tag. just my 2 cents

drakleon84

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
^^ thanks. you guys persuaded me. In my heart I felt the CM was the way to go, but 'window shopper' man was taking over and looking at fancier stuff