Sign in with
Your question

GA-EX58-UD4P killing memory

Last response: in Motherboards
September 3, 2009 2:21:23 AM

I can't get my GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard to run stably with 6x2gb RAM (for total of 12gb).

I'm running the mobo at default bios settings (bios rev.8) using 6x2gb of RAM for a total of 12gb (G.SKILL DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 2048MB). Initially the computer posts with the correct amount of RAM for a while but then crashes, looses 2gb at post and eventually refuses to boot the OS at all due to memory related errors. By mixing and matching a bit I found one RAM module that did not work and got a replacement from the store.

This time around I once again loaded all the 6 modules into the mb still using the default settings and booted directly into memtest86+. After less than one full pass errors are reported and I'm now left with one more dead stick of RAM. :( 

I'm wondering if this is due to either high G.Skill RAM failure rate, faulty mobo or bad settings... Seems strange that two modules of RAM should die in a row...

Has anyone had similar problems? Any advice on where to proceed from here?

btw. I'm able to run stably with 4x2gb RAM in a 3 channel configuration, but I really need the full 12gb!!

Any advice appreciated...
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2009 2:50:46 AM

It could be anything indeed. I have been using G.Skills (DDR2 though) for 4 years now and they are awesome, no problems at all. Mind you they are all overclocked as well, so even greater kudos. I suggest running all your RAM sticks in another motherboard along with tests and see if they run ok. If they do, then your motherboard is probably faulty and if under warranty it could probably get you some extra money for the replacement of the bad memory that it caused (although i really doubt it, but you never know).
What i would try is flash to the latest BIOS as i have experienced problems with early Gigabytes BIOS myself. Also check your settings for voltages in the BIOS.
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2009 2:52:04 AM

Forgot to mention: Does your motherboard manual state that it CAN run your memory configuration of all sticks? Some manufacturers state specific configurations to be used.
Related resources
September 7, 2009 7:39:31 AM

Yeah, it should support it and I am running the latest bios revision.

If anything it might be slightly underclocked in the default mode. It is supposed to use the DRAM SPD data to set the correct values but ends up running at 1066Mhz rather than 1333 and also at 8-8-8-20 rather than 9-9-9-24. Setting those values manually does not make any difference though. But who knows what other incorrect values this mobo defaults to...

Gigabyte support suggests maybe I should try the RAM modules they have tested for the board and that they have posted on their website. That list is very limited though... It would be a bit ridiculous if the content of that list are the only options for this board... I thought G.Skill would be a fairly safe option...

So are anyone out there running the UD4P with 12gb of RAM? If so, what type and brand?
September 28, 2009 7:58:45 PM

I've had my PC running stable since I built it in May 09, I had maybe 3 random blue screens concerning Memory Management. And in the past two weeks I can barely make it through 30 minutes without a blue screen and then system reboots.

I'm using this memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145233

I'm clueless as to what to do as well to fix this problem.
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2009 3:42:49 AM

oz_dude said:
Yeah, it should support it and I am running the latest bios revision.

If anything it might be slightly underclocked in the default mode. It is supposed to use the DRAM SPD data to set the correct values but ends up running at 1066Mhz rather than 1333 and also at 8-8-8-20 rather than 9-9-9-24. Setting those values manually does not make any difference though. But who knows what other incorrect values this mobo defaults to...

Gigabyte support suggests maybe I should try the RAM modules they have tested for the board and that they have posted on their website. That list is very limited though... It would be a bit ridiculous if the content of that list are the only options for this board... I thought G.Skill would be a fairly safe option...

So are anyone out there running the UD4P with 12gb of RAM? If so, what type and brand?

OOps! 8-8-8-20 is actually FASTER than they are designed to run. Try the 9-9-9-24 setting as is safer (probably nothing to do with voltage, but still safer)
a c 177 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
October 8, 2009 2:42:14 PM

If you want to use 12GB you will need more IOH, QPI/Vtt, and Vdimm possibly as well. You may need up to or above 1.7 ram voltage for 12GB, just keep QPI/Vtt within a .5 range of QPI/Vtt if you go to 1.7 or above. Excellent GB X58 BIOS guide here, with lots of precalculated tables of settings:
http://www.mediafire.com/?txzi1tmf22g
October 10, 2009 8:06:56 AM

Well, I have the same problem with you my friend.

My ga-x38-dq6 has "killed" two modules of corsair dominator, something that is very unlikely to happen.

At first when I ran the memtest (as soon as I purchased the second kit) everything was ok, but after 3 months and 3 blue screens i have a new non working module.

I don't know what to do too...
October 10, 2009 4:51:27 PM

Its alot harder to run 6 chips than 3.. you need to relax the timings(higher numbers), increase the voltage

try getting your system working 100% with 3 chips for a week or 2.. then go for 6.
alternatively gigabyte is known for producing finicky motherboards that only work well with certain memory(at least recently)

their advice sounds reasonable.. use memory they have certified to work
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2009 12:47:02 AM

If memory modules are failing and are new and under warranty, try sending them back for RMA. You are entitled to. Of course no need to mention if you were overclocking them! lol
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
October 12, 2009 6:26:31 AM

oz_dude, there's a lot of advice here, but not sure if you're up on everything being mentioned.

One thing needed is to know exactly which G.Skill 1333 DDR3 you have. Even if you cut it down to those with 9-9-9-24 specs, there are several models. So what is your RAM's model number? And were these bought as a 2 sets of 3?

1st point is the DRAM voltage set by your BIOS. You state above that you're running them in the DEFAULT settings and even then still having trouble. Well, those defaults won't set the proper DRAM voltage for your modules, you need to do that yourself. All G.Skill DDR3 at 1333 requires between 1.5V (the BIOS default) and up to 1.65V. And that's for one set of 3. As mentioned above, with 2 sets, you often need to raise the voltage. So if the RAM is expecting 1.6V and you're not only giving only 1.5V, but putting 2 sets in, it's not going to work right. So, gotta fix that. It was suggested above that 1.7V would be a good setting.

2nd point raised above is the Latency settings, also known as timing. These numbers, like CL=9 or 9-9-9-24 refer to delays required by the RAM to process items. The faster the RAM is running, the more delay it requires. So that a fast setting like 1333 might want a delay of 9, a slower setting is happy with an 8. These setting are included on a area of the RAM module itself called the SPD. When your BIOS is set to Auto, it tries to read this SPD info, but isn't always good at it. So after getting the voltage right, then the speed set (from 1066 to 1333), you'd want to set the CL/Latency/Timing right.

!