Wanting to upgrade to ssd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andriko_08

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Hi guys, I currently have a WD Caviar black 1tb, I dont remember the model number and im too lazy to check xD and I'm wanting to upgrade to an ssd that is the fastest ~300-500gb ssd on the market :) any recommendations?

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Are you serious?
Have you done any research before you asked this question?
Do you know that the main stream user is looking at 120 - 250 GB drives?

Do you know what a 300-500 SSD would go for?

Andriko_08

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I have done research, and I aint no mainstream user ^^, if it makes you happy, fine I'm now looking for a 250-350 gb ssd, and it has to have the fastest read/write time on the market :) happy hunting

Wow.... if you are seriously looking in to a Revo, MAKE SURE you know WTF you are doing. Getting a Revo set up on most boards is a PITA.

What's your budget?

edit:
Well, there you go. RevoDrives get up to 500MBps reads, smashing anything out there, right now. I don't even think 2 Crucial C300's in RAID 0 would top that.
What are you talking about... theres like 800-1000 mbps read/write pci ssds... what is a good price for like a 800 mbps pcie ssd?
WTF are you smoking?
See: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2010/09/03/ocz-revodrive-review-120gb/4

^ You are not talking about the consumer market here. That is meant for Enterprise market and as far as I can tell, it is not in the market yet so your point is moot.
A demo does not mean it is in the market, even after 2+ years. Notice that it is not even listed at Micron's website: http://www.micron.com/products/
From the link:
"It really does require a change in computer architecture to go into consumer-type systems, but it can be done," Klein said.

The fastest thing if you absolutely must have speed would be a RAM drive.
Benches:
4433346194_a36c682bb4.jpg

4526069517_0016953cdb_z.jpg

~3GB/s max transfer. That is the only thing that can touch the speeds you are talking about.

[strike]You are an idiot and probably some spoiled rich brat. Anyways, I'm done. [/strike]

IamPegasus

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Andriko, did you also notice the price on the link you offered? You will also find it just aint true. SSD has exceptionally fast read times but stumbles on write speeds due to the way they work.

In real world terms, you arent going to see any hugely noticeable improvements out of your $4500 example SSD when compared to a $200 raptor... and yes, the benchmarks may show better figures, but they wont be enough for you to actually notice any difference in your computer.

The other thing to think of is what is your use for the computer? Some things keep the hard drive very busy, others barely use the drive at all.

Yes, I have owned a quality SSD drive. No, I dont have one now. I dont miss it. Not saying its inferior, just that its not good enough to justify anything like the money they want for it... and the reason I dont have it anymore is that it lasted 3 months before completely failing..

You are falling into the trap that most new computer enthusiasts fall into, reading a bunch of stuff online and getting all gooey over the best of the best. What no-one is telling you is that the difference between the best computer stuff available and the best value is no more than 10% in terms of performance, but more than double the cost.

You need to get off your high horse and listen to the good advice that is available, instead of making statements and challenging people who know much more than you to disprove you. You arent asking for advice, you are looking for someone to tell you how smart you are lol..

IamPegasus

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

You will notice if you read the article you linked to, they clearly say this technology is for servers and is unlikely to hit the consumer market for at least a couple years. The quote offered by Shadow,

*** "It really does require a change in computer architecture to go into consumer-type systems, but it can be done," Klein said. ***

is taken directly from the page you linked to. He isnt out of date, he just reads the information more thoroughly.

oldceltichippy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

===========================================================================

I have a 64GB ssdNOW SATAII installed as my System (boot) drive. My Windows 7 Ultimate Experience Index is 7.1 (because of the SSD.)

Formerly, I had Windows 7 Ultimate installed on another internal SATA HDD, with the HDD as the boot drive, and my WEI was only 5.9 (because of the HDD). A 1.2 point jump in read access really helps. I haven't checked the write speed yet, so the gain in read speed will probably be offset with a lower write speed.

The SSD never gets hot, unlike the SATA drives in my system.

It seems to me that a larger SSD as a system boot drive is certainly called for. 64Gig is just too small, even with data on another drive. A system drive of 128GB would almost certainly be better.

Prices are still very high, however. I think I paid something on the order of $179US from Dell for my ssdNOW drive. However, as an SSD's size increases, so does its price, almost doubling with each addition of 64GB.

Anyway, this has been my experience. I hope it helps someone down the line.

Donald L McDaniel.

IamPegasus

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
SSD is certainly a good thing, its just that in my humble opinion its not such a good thing as to be worth all that money. There is no doubt that its potentially much faster and quieter. Since I have never had my raptor get past 40C though, I dont see reduced heat as important.

My Win7 experience number is 5.9 just as you say, and I did have a 7.1 with the SSD I used to have installed. I switched back because the SSD failed completely in less than 3 months and I couldnt afford another at the time.

All other parts of the Windows 7 experience # on mine are 7.7, so from that point of view the SSD would lift the number.. but its only a number!
Having gone directly from the SSD back to the raptor, I can compare the 2 on the same computer from a users vantage. I am happy to report I can notice no real difference in the performance of the computer, although some of the benchmarking numbers have certainly dropped just a little.

I also find I no longer have to think twice about what I install on the operating system drive. I was having to do so with the tiny 64G SSD, which is just too small to install an OS and programs in..

If you are obsessed with benchmarking scores, then by all means an SSD is going to get you higher numbers. If you want a fast, reliable, quality computer.. SSD will not show you any tangible benefits for the cost involved. And a 1TB SSD? madness.... not for any good reason, its just a 'mines the best' ego trip. I'd rather buy a car.

The best use I can think of for SSD at this point is small form factor computers, simply because of their size. Even that advantage is lost with the huge thing displayed in the link though.

^ Agreed. An average person won't notice much of a difference apart from boot times and over all responsiveness.

Personally, I use big programs (ie SolidWorks/Inventor) often and they load MUCH faster on the SSD. I also keep my temp files (ie RAW, TIFF,MPEG2,etc) on the SSD while I'm working with them. The most noticable thing with an SSD for me is obviously the boot up time and the programing opening time. Textures and fonts also load up much faster on the SSD.

Note: This is in comparison to Samsung F3s, not Velociraptors.

Prices are still very high, however. I think I paid something on the order of $179US from Dell for my ssdNOW drive. However, as an SSD's size increases, so does its price, almost doubling with each addition of 64GB.
Actually, if you think about it, SSD prices have FALLEN. When the original X25-M came out, it was ~$300-350 or more for a 80GB drive. Now, you can get a Vertex 2 120GB which will beat the X25-M G1 AND G2 for ~$240. This isn't that bad considering the original HDDs when they came out were ~$1k for a few MBs. Obviously, SSDs are no where close to the HDDs in terms of $/GB but it is getting there. I'm looking forward to the new G3 Intel drives which should drive down prices or at least offer good performing mainstream drives.

IamPegasus

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Theres no denying SSD is the next standard, with no moving parts it can only be faster than a mechanical drive. They havent perfected them yet, they will get much, much faster I am sure, and of course the capacity will rise as well.

With todays computers pretty much starting at $100 1TB drives though, the price is going to have to drop a lot and the capacity rise a lot before they are going to totally replace mechanical drives.

Thats already happening of course, and I am sure it will be only a couple short years before they are bigger, better, faster and cheaper than disk drives.

I'll wait till then :)

Can I rave for a moment more?

I'd bet on the physical size of the SSD to get smaller too, and I think that within 5 years you will see a motherboard with a 5TB SSD embedded into it..
right next to the onboard graphics which will have more power than any card available today.

Proof of this lies in the past. Network, RAID, WiFi, Graphics, Sound, you name it.. it was all originally done by addon cards. Now most of this stuff appears in all motherboards, and the others are certainly commonly available built in.

The quality of the stuff thats inbuilt on the motherboard now is far in excess of the best of the addon cards available 10 or even 5 years ago. Ion graphics will play any modern game without issue..

The mechanical disk drive was never going to be part of the motherboard, but the SSD is sure to be. Whats more? The motherboards will run cool, fanless, and be as small as Atom platforms...

More proof is in the few MB for $1k you mention. 4MB HDD for $1k looks pretty sad against 4GB DDR3 or 2TB HDD for $200 !!

Its an exciting future, not just for enthusiasts, but for the general population. More computing power is changing the world faster than anything else has ever done...

** BTW Shadow.. nice rig :)

Proof of this lies in the past. Network, RAID, WiFi, Graphics, Sound, you name it.. it was all originally done by addon cards. Now most of this stuff appears in all motherboards, and the others are certainly commonly available built in.
That is true, but the newer 3rd party RAID/Sound cards are quite a bit ahead of the integrated stuff. For RAID, this is esp. true with RAID 5 performance.

IIRC, there was a few motherboards displayed at CES that integrated Flash memory along with Linux installed on it to allow virtually instant access to the Web. I think it was called InstantON or something like that.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Andriko_08, Don't be lazy.....
Check out the Crucial SSD's. If you have a newer mobo with sataIII, they have the ssd for you.
134 usd for a 64 gb at newegg. Plenty of space for win7, xp/win7 dual boot and favorite programs/ games.
Still fast in sataII.

Andriko_08

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Sigh... I thought I made it perfectly clear that I don't care about price... My eye is on the 240 gb OCZ Revodrive x2, even if it is meant for servers, it doesn't mean it won't work on a desktop with consumer parts... the difference between server and consumer parts is consumer parts are cheaper and less powerful, for a while.

tizz

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

a-men, some people have no social skills lol

Status
Not open for further replies.