devilboy9944

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Hello there, this is my first post

I had a gaming computer with a 9800GT, Intel 1.60 Ghz processor, 600W Power supply, Antec 900 case. I wanted to upgrade to an E8400 3.0Ghz and a Tuniq Tower 120 heat sink. I wanted to take it into my local computer shop (Advanced Logic Systems) and let them install it. They found that I needed a new motherboard that supported the new cpu. They installed the Abit 1-45CV motherboard at a cost of $80.00 Canadian. The guy at the store said that he installed all the drivers. He had to remove 1 Gb of RAM because the new motherboard couldn't support 3 sticks since there are only 2 slots.

I brought my computer home, plugged it into my monitor ( Acer X193W) and started her up. Nothing went wrong really, just had to change the resolution a bit higher.

I started up my games. Grand Theft Auto IV worked well. I tried Call Of Duty World At War and it ran smooth on highest quality. Counterstrike Source ran at 75fps on highest settings no problem. I launched Team fortress 2 however, and the fps went below 20 and never went higher. With the new Team Fortress 2 update my fps is now jumping a lot. From 60fps + to below 10in seconds. No matter where I am in the game (in battle or looking at the ground) my fps is mostly below 20.

I have installed the motherboard drivers and the gpu drivers at least twice each, I have put Team Fortress 2's detail on lowest and the same thing happens every time. some people in the game tell me its my bios, and its rejecting the new cpu. I don't know what it is.

Thank you

-Mark

He gave you a micro atx board that they don't even produce anymore. Go and get a decent motherboard. A full size ATX P45 board made by a decent manufacturer..Asus or Gigabyte.

Here's a few down below worth taking a look at.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=107&subminorcatid=27

JaredAudiophileGamer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
hmm well i had the exact same problem, my fps was reallly jump would stay around like 60 on average, then within seconds drop to a steady 15-20 fps for a few minutes, i downloaded the latest graphics card drivers and all was well for me. so my advice would be to try a new set of drivers, maybe even a month old if the latest arent working for you.

devilboy9944

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Thank you for the quick responds guys.

I will talk to the guy at Advanced Logic Systems about the motherboard, they said that there was a better motherboard for $130.00. He said that the one he gave me was a stock one that he usually gives out to people, the other is a higher end one.

So, I will talk to him today and ask what the other motherboard's specs are and see if he could install it for me.