ATI4650 crashes and glitches

My 4650 frequently crashes in Source games and has display glitches when playing TES4: Oblivion

This is my 2ndary PC, specs:
E6300 OCed to 2.1GHz
4650 OCed to 650/500 or 625/450 MHz (default 600/400)
Biostar mobo with 1 PCI-e 2.0
2GB of RAM
E520 Dell PSU 305watt (pulled from a Dell)

daship

Distinguished
Its possible you PSU is crap.
I wouldn't recommend ocing on such a crap PSU. OCing on a old crap PSU will stress it. Also try to back off you OC and see if it gets better.

People here have all stated that Dell PSUs are actually decent. It may only have 305 watts, but it provides 18 or 22amps on a 12v rail.

They've recommended 4670s, and even 9600GTs for Dell 305watt PSUs...both of which consumes more power than the 4650.

Look pal, 99% of the people here have recommended running a 4670 OR a 9600GT on a Dell 305watt PSU...BOTH of which uses more power than a 4650

Don't go bullsh*ting me with your ATI worship when you accuse everyone else of being Nvidia fanboys.

Yes, wiped the HD clean of anything Nvidia. Reboot. Installed ATI drivers.
Glitchy. Uninstalled ATI drivers. Reinstalled ATI drivers.

Possibility of the 46xx series having issues with Oblivion settings...?

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
You have a failed installation of drivers or you need to update directX.

failed installation of drivers is always a USER mistake, so don't start any sh*t.

Uninstall all drivers, including motherboard drivers after you have downloaded new drivers for the GPU and MB. Run driver sweeper in safe mode and delete all traces of the GPU and MB drivers. Then install all the drivers once again.

As for directX download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3

The only sh*t that's going to start is if people here recommend a 4670 for a Dell 305 watt PSU, and then do a 180 by saying the PSU can't even run a 4650.

For some reason, my 4650 is clocked lower than the usual DDR2 4650s.

And it has a G-texture fill rate of 20 instead of 24, which is what I see for most non-Oced DDR2 4650s.

I'll try jaguar's suggestion

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
If it was a PSU related problem then it would be more serious than texture popping. Happy BSD?

It might be a lot of things, just please don't jump to saying an entire company is at fault, it is misleading to others.

Edit: Oh and now I want to play Oblivion again!

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
i would be surprised if you even had a ati card, you can run 2x9800GTX/GTX+ on a crappy nvidia board, yet you cant install a 4650 right without blaming ATI drivers, and on top of all that, its some how underclocked its self, GALMF

I'm running the 4650 on my 2ndary computer with a non-nvidia Biostar motherboard. The 2xGTXs are my primary computer. And I fail to see how the 780i with triple SLi is a "crappy nvidia board."

You fail. And learn to read.

Well technically, nowhere in my post am I actually blaming the entire ATI company for anything.

I only posted "ati issues" in the other topic because ATI software is not as convenient as Nvidia's, and most likely inferior since they don't update nearly as often. (ie. CCC doesn't have the system monitor like Nvidia's system tools does)

Edit: Yep, I reintroduced myself into Oblivion after downloading the awesome Quarl's texture/graphics-mod and mods that spruce up the environment. You should try OOO, Qarl's Texture Mod, etc

daship

Distinguished
Well the PSU is a crappy Dell 305 watter. Since its from Dell its obviously OLD/USED and has degraded overtime.

Now you take the crappy used PSU and OC your CPU and GPU, and ask why does it artifact? Use your brain, next time before you shoot your mouth out for help.

You would be amazed at the extra stress overclocking can cause on shi t hardware.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

I didn't necessarily mean this thread.

Yeah qarl's is one of my favorite mods. That and bow damage balance mod and realistic arrow flight path mod.

Stop trolling.

I've done the research. Dell PSUs are actually not crap, and my PSU is more than enough to handle both the minor OCing of the CPU and the GPU. If you have no idea what you're talking about, then stfu because you're not helping.

Apparently you dont have a clue because I actually find Catalyst control center easier than Nvidia monitor and downloading Rivatuner separately.
Bye the way, I would never recommend any PCI-E card for a 305w psu, espcecially overclocked with an overclocked cpu too.

Nvidia monitor gives you info about the CPU, memory, motherboard, RAM, etc...CCC only gives you info on the GPU. So yes, I find the system monitor for Nvidia vastly superior compared to CCC.

Unless you're telling me that CCC also monitors the CPU, RAM, mobo, and system temperatures?

If not, then:
Nvidia System Monitor > CCC monitor

I've also checked various websites that show that a minor .24 GHz overclock on a E6300 only negligibly increases the power consumption. It should basically have no effect whatsoever.

I was running an overclocked 7600GT before with no problems, and I've compared power consumption charts - the 7600GT actually uses around the same power as the 4650.

And please do yourself a favor and read the other topics in this forum. Plenty of members here have suggested up to 9600GTs for the 305 watt PSU.

daship

Distinguished

Obviously you haven't done your homework. how old is that Dell PSU 2-3 years. If you did your research you would see PSU's as well as everything else degrade over time. I'm sure a new 305 watt PSU would run your piece of shi t if it were new and everything was running stock. Drop the GPU in your other rig, if it works, then get off your high horse and buy a real PSU.

If you had done research you might have come across this:
ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 Series – System Requirements
ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 System Requirements
PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
400 Watt or greater power supply (550 Watt for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode) is recommended
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
1GB of system memory recommended
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive
Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive and full 1080p display requires a 1080p-capable monitor
To enable dual mode ATI CrossFireX™ technology, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 Series graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable (included) is required.

Oh wow 400watt with stock speeds, what a noob. Talk about trolling. Go buy a PSU and get a life idiot!

btw, to show you how much of an idiot you are, read some posts by old members who actually know stuff about power requirements:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260855-33-4650-4670-limitation

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260233-33-overcloking-4670-watt

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262099-33-dirt-cheap-watt

I was able to run a 7600GT overclocked on my PC with no problems.
The 7600GT @ stock speeds draws 65watts.
The 4670 draws 60 watts. The 4650 even less.

retard

daship

Distinguished
Im not going to sit and argue with a retard. I guess your a expert so you will realize eventually that you need a new PSU. No matter how long you wait someone wont come in here and snap their fingers to give you the magic driver you seek to make your PSU better.

You never answered the hold old is the Dell PSU. So add the degration = FAIL!

Good Bye. Looser.

daship

Distinguished
Do some research you can find more then 3 post that people are trying to do the same as you and failing the same as you. Just cause it works for one person don't mean it will work for you.

Get off your lazy ass and drop it in your main rig. if it work buy a PSU, If it don't RMA the card.

However since your such a idiot, you probably will bork the driver install and have 2 PCs with issues.