PSU concern: No-Cash Grounding/Anti-Static Methods?

I was able to secure a power supply for my Dell Dimension E510, but I have another concern.

Lacking $$, I need a homemade solution to grounding myself, along the lines of an anti-static wrist/arm band. I'd love to install this replacement PSU, but I'm hesitant to do so, because I'm told I absolutely should consider an anti-static means of conducting this business. (Was aiming for a pun, btw.) So, being poor as I am, is there anything realistic to consider?

Thanks, guys.
3 answers Last reply
More about concern cash grounding anti static methods
  1. Thank you, I'll be sure to keep your advice in mind while handling my PSU. I'm horribly new at this, so my trepidation can be understood. I don't want to make my problems any worse. My home is mostly tiled; we had carpets removed, save for the bedrooms. The halls, the livingroom - everything, tiled. Is there anything I could touch to either remove or minimize any existing static charge within me? I'm sorry if this sounds or seemed worded like a silly question. I'm trying to communicate my concerns as simply as I am able. I'm not ESL.
  2. I have a desk sized, thin sheet of anti-static foam that I build computers on. Never had a problem.

A suggestion about installing the power supply: Many times, it's better to install the motherboard and other stuff first because of a cramped case. If the PSU mounts in the top of the case, I turn the case upside down before I install the PSU. That way, if I have a clumsy moment, the PSU will not drop and land on anything expensive.
  3. If you want that extra confidence boost, do the work with your foot resting on a radiator or similar. Any pipe should be earthed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Dimension Dell Components