First time flashing BIOS

Kenshin112

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Ok guys, my motherboard is a Biostar TA790GX A2+

If it weren't for me buying an AM3 CPU, i wouldn't bother flashing, but i really need an upgrade from my nearly 3 year old 5600+ x2.

Anyways, I've never done this before but I have the link for the download for the updated BIOS on biostar's site. I have a flash drive that i think would work for booting with the file(s) but idk. My computer is really iffy when it comes to using USB stuff in Bios. I have to always use a PS/2 keyboard and my USB keyboard won't work despite USB devices being enabled in the BIOS (if you guys could help me fix this problem that would be awesome, too!)

But much more importantly, if someone could tell me how to flash my BIOS to support AM3, which these boards are capable of doing according of biostar, it would be a great help to me. I have absolutely no idea how to do this and anything is appreciated.

BTW i'm upgrading to a Phenom II X3 720 if that's of any significance. Thanks a lot in advance.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
You don't happen to have a $4 floppy drive laying around which you could connect just for the flash do you?
I doubt the flash drive will be recognized.

Well I have no experience with your board, but for mine it shows you what it detects before it trieds to flash, so you might as well put the BIOS on the drive and see if it shows up (read your MB manual for specifics).

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
BIO-Flasher

Effortlessly update BIOS from a USB flash disk before entering your OS.
BIO-FLASHER is a convenient BIOS update tool. Just launch this tool and put the BIOS on USB Pen Driver before entering the OS. You can update your BIOS only in a few clicks without preparing an additional floppy diskette or other complicated flash utility.

BIO-ReLife

BIO-ReLife Technology let you to resume crushed BIOS data from a USB flash Pen Driver that put the new BIOS file. This considerate BIOS utility can restore your system and far from the BIOS Crush situation.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/t-series/introduction.php?S_ID=374

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Motherboard Manual page 36 shoud be an option to save original bios
C. BIO-Flasher
BIO-Flasher is a BIOS flashing utility providing you an easy and simple way to
update your BIOS via USB pen drive or floppy disk.
The BIO-Flasher is built in the BIOS chip. To enter the utility, press <F12>
during the Power-On Self Tests (POST) procedure while booting up.
Updating BIOS with BIO-Flasher
1. Go to the website to download the latest BIOS file for the motherboard.
2. Then, save the BIOS file into a USB pen drive or a floppy disk.
3. Insert the USB pen drive or the floppy disk that contains the BIOS file to the
USB port or the floppy disk drive.
4. Power on or reset the computer and then
press <F12> during the POST process.
A select dialog as the picture on the right
appears.
Select the device contains the BIOS file and
press <Enter> to enter the utility.
5. The utility will show the BIOS
files and their respective
information. Select the proper
BIOS file and press <Enter>
then <Y> to perform the BIOS
update process.
6. After the update process, the utility will ask you to reboot the system.
Press <Y> to proceed. BIOS update completes.

Kenshin112

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Thanks guys. I figured out how to do it using a flash drive (didn't have a 3.5" floppy). I did it before you guys responded to my thread, but thanks very much anyways =D

TRENDING THREADS