Sign in with
Your question

How to match OC'd parts to prevent bottlenecks

Last response: in Overclocking
November 13, 2010 8:42:29 AM

hi peeps i probably should have asked this a few days ago but i already ordered my stuff, im not an experienced OC'er but i would like to dabble

heres my list

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <-- asus rampage 3 extreme
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <-- intel i7 980x 3.33ghz(id be happy with a 3.4 as long as it gave me no problems with bottlnecks)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <-- v6gt heatsink
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <-- fan to replace fans on v6gt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <-- Corsair dominator 12gb (3 x 4) 1600mhz 9-9-9-24
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <-- asus matrix 5870 platinum 900core 1225mem (if the damn thing ever comes back in stock i plan to crossfire)

it all gets here 11/18/10

i want to OC the cpu and gpu and ram just as little as needed so that nothing is being a bottneck or inefficiency, and by "just a little" i mean just using CCC and AISuite and no voltage tweaks, im afraid of messing with the ram because i have absolutly 0% anything experience with it i've never installed a stick of ram in my life let alone OC it so maybe all the OC'ing should revolve around the rams stock settings.

please dont give me a link to a "overclocking for dummies" type thing i mainly just want the community's thoughts
a b K Overclocking
November 13, 2010 1:03:56 PM

You don't need to overclock the ram to alleviate bottlenecks. Also unless you plan on an extremely high overclock on the cpu, that 980x is a big waste of money. You can easily reach 3.4ghz with a 200 to 300 dollar processor, no need to drop 1000.00 on a chip for that.

The 5870 is nice, and still fast, but it is getting old. The new Ati cards are rolling out, I recommend waiting for the 6970, or a gtx 580 if you like Nvidia
November 13, 2010 10:38:26 PM

sportsfanboy said:
You don't need to overclock the ram to alleviate bottlenecks. Also unless you plan on an extremely high overclock on the cpu, that 980x is a big waste of money. You can easily reach 3.4ghz with a 200 to 300 dollar processor, no need to drop 1000.00 on a chip for that.

The 5870 is nice, and still fast, but it is getting old. The new Ati cards are rolling out, I recommend waiting for the 6970, or a gtx 580 if you like Nvidia

yes paying a thousand dollars for a cpu is bit a much (even though i got $50 discount) ive already bought it and its on it way, i also think it would be a waste of money to buy a 6970 or gtx580 since my 5870 is 2 1/2 months young, but back on topic is there a way to OC (or some kind of ratio?) my gpu and processor to where they are they both get a performance boost without creating the slightest bottleneck?
Related resources
a c 197 K Overclocking
November 13, 2010 11:51:42 PM

Something will always be the bottleneck.
a b K Overclocking
November 14, 2010 12:45:11 AM

^ True that, in the world we live it, we haven't even fully utilized the bit of the computer. PCI 2.0 16x is an example and so is the CPU. The CPU isn't unleashed to its finest.

Also.... you should return your 980X now... Because it's not even the most expensive CPU will bottleneck. All you had to do was get a i5 760 or a i7 erm.... 950 or 880 kind of i7 and OC it to like 4.0ghz. All of that will prevent as much bottlenecks as possible. But even the 980X will bottleneck... Just telling you know, not to sound like a douche, but... It's just stupid to invest in the MOST expensive thing and think it's good.

You need research.
November 14, 2010 1:34:58 AM

not really getting the answers im looking for :( 
November 14, 2010 2:07:33 AM

jsc said:
Something will always be the bottleneck.

how can i find what is bottlenecking?
a c 131 K Overclocking
November 14, 2010 2:46:12 AM

It would seem that for many of the choices, "most expensive" seemed to be an over riding consideration. While many would argue that you can OC a 920 to 980 speeds, the 980 will OC higher so I have no comment there.

I got lotta problems with ya RAM choice; I'd return them unopened :

1. All components are top notch but the one that stands out is "Why top notch in every category and then CAS 9 RAM ?" ....and $300 ????? Your choices are CAS 6, 7, 8 andt 9 with 6 being the fastest and 9 being the slowest. There are many underrated modules which will run faster than what it "says on the box"...searching articles on THG will help you find these.

Here's a set of CAS 6 RAM which will fit 12 GB in the R3E and not hit the CPU cooler .... well it won't hit the Prolimatech Megahalems, can't speak for the V6

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. I doubt you can build that machine as is. . The fan thingie for the RAM is definite "no fit" but I'd venture to say that the heat sink on the RAM in the slot closest to the CPU will not fit with the Dominator Heat Sink.

3. 12 GB is not necessarily better than 6. RAM speeds / Gaming performance will suffer with 12 GB so if it's gaming box, I'd only use 6.

Since you sending stuff back .... other things to consider.....

The R3E is an overclocker's dream .... if ya not going to get into heavy OC'ing or not gonna play extensively with OC profiles it may much more board than makes sense. Also, you have one GFX card .... why a MoBo that takes 3 (or even 4). If just using one (or two) GFX card, mighta looked at the Sabertooth. But, since it's on its way, I'd keep the board. It is fun to work with and very easy to learn....maybe you will grow into its features.

I'd look at the recent GFX reviews before investing $500 in that GFX card.

First, you later say that you have a 2.5 month old 5870 .... same one ? If not, the new OC's one is gonna run at the old ones speeds. If I have misunderstood......

THG writes:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-rad...

Quote:
Two GeForce GTX 470 cards are a potent combination when paired in SLI mode, delivering more graphics muscle on average than a single Radeon HD 5970.....a couple of GeForce GTX 470 cards in SLI will demonstrate better performance than a pair of Radeon HD 6870s,

I'd also reconsider the CPU cooler

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
November 14, 2010 3:31:44 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
It would seem that for many of the choices, "most expensive" seemed to be an over riding consideration. While many would argue that you can OC a 920 to 980 speeds, the 980 will OC higher so I have no comment there.

I got lotta problems with ya RAM choice; I'd return them unopened :

1. All components are top notch but the one that stands out is "Why top notch in every category and then CAS 9 RAM ?" ....and $300 ????? Your choices are CAS 6, 7, 8 andt 9 with 6 being the fastest and 9 being the slowest. There are many underrated modules which will run faster than what it "says on the box"...searching articles on THG will help you find these.

Here's a set of CAS 6 RAM which will fit 12 GB in the R3E and not hit the CPU cooler .... well it won't hit the Prolimatech Megahalems, can't speak for the V6

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. I doubt you can build that machine as is. . The fan thingie for the RAM is definite "no fit" but I'd venture to say that the heat sink on the RAM in the slot closest to the CPU will not fit with the Dominator Heat Sink.

3. 12 GB is not necessarily better than 6. RAM speeds / Gaming performance will suffer with 12 GB so if it's gaming box, I'd only use 6.

Since you sending stuff back .... other things to consider.....

The R3E is an overclocker's dream .... if ya not going to get into heavy OC'ing or not gonna play extensively with OC profiles it may much more board than makes sense. Also, you have one GFX card .... why a MoBo that takes 3 (or even 4). If just using one (or two) GFX card, mighta looked at the Sabertooth. But, since it's on its way, I'd keep the board. It is fun to work with and very easy to learn....maybe you will grow into its features.

I'd look at the recent GFX reviews before investing $500 in that GFX card.

First, you later say that you have a 2.5 month old 5870 .... same one ? If not, the new OC's one is gonna run at the old ones speeds. If I have misunderstood......

THG writes:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-rad...

Quote:
Two GeForce GTX 470 cards are a potent combination when paired in SLI mode, delivering more graphics muscle on average than a single Radeon HD 5970.....a couple of GeForce GTX 470 cards in SLI will demonstrate better performance than a pair of Radeon HD 6870s,

I'd also reconsider the CPU cooler

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

i NEVER said i was going to send anything back and i dont really plan too unless the v6 doesnt fit, as i was trying to find the very best parts for this build i guess the ram was a mistake(i wanted 12gigs that set is what was suggested to me on this site) but im not going to cry over it because anything will be an upgrade from my current rig that i doubt its even going to matter(to me) everything is going to be an upgrade, hopefully im not being too overconfident, and i do want to do quad fire but the one i have is out of stock so if i really want it that bad ill have to sell the current and buy some generic 5870's or 6870's or w/e (would buying 4 cards all at once be best or can i just add 1 at a time?)
a b K Overclocking
November 14, 2010 7:32:19 AM

Jesus why don't you wait for the 6970s to come out? What no patience?
November 14, 2010 7:57:11 AM

aznshinobi said:
Jesus why don't you wait for the 6970s to come out? What no patience?

because ive already invested money on a 5870 + i thought the 6000 series was supposed to be low power consumption cards, regardless of price and features which has better performance 5870 or 6000 series cards?

dammit i just wanna know what to OC to!!!!!!!
a b K Overclocking
November 14, 2010 8:07:38 AM

OHHHHH.... Lol I've answered to many homebuilt threads I just remembered you already bought your Matrix. Ok umm just get MSI Afterburner, tweak around the sliders. Don't slide it up all the way though, you might kill your card. Look around and see how high others got their matrix up to.
November 14, 2010 8:53:42 AM

aznshinobi said:
OHHHHH.... Lol I've answered to many homebuilt threads I just remembered you already bought your Matrix. Ok umm just get MSI Afterburner, tweak around the sliders. Don't slide it up all the way though, you might kill your card. Look around and see how high others got their matrix up to.

i already have programs to OC with and have no problems with but i guess i should probably get msi afterburner since just seeing a vid on youtube it looks promising
but i dont know what to OC to, first time i tried to OC my 5870 i put it at 1000mhz core and 1300mem 10 seconds into bad company 2 MAJOR fps increase + artifacts and crash(not doing that anymore!!!!!!!!!) i would like to know how certain cpu speeds compare to g-pu speeds in performance like the stock 980x 3.33ghz and the stock 5870 matrix 900core and 1225mem which ones higher and what has to be OC'd to be as close as possible(without jacking with voltages)

i would also like to know high the 980x and a 5870 can be safely OC'd to with no voltage change so i have a line that i know not to cross
a b K Overclocking
November 14, 2010 10:16:31 AM

No one can tell you what your particular chips will overcloct to.
Every chip is different. You might get a 20% overclock or you might get an 50% overclock. Some chips dont overclock more than a few percent.
The only way to find out is to Experiment for hours to find the perfect overclock for your system.
a b K Overclocking
November 14, 2010 10:24:22 AM

You'll just have to tweak it yourself... Why don't you just try to OC or read up? Instead of wasting your time asking us to do that for you. Google is your friend buddy, It's how I learned to OC.
November 14, 2010 10:32:26 AM

aznshinobi said:
You'll just have to tweak it yourself... Why don't you just try to OC or read up? Instead of wasting your time asking us to do that for you. Google is your friend buddy, It's how I learned to OC.

okay ill do that(the first one) when i googled "highest overclock on 980x with no voltage tweaks" i would get links to this site on posts where people barely used "980x" and "voltage" in the same sentence
a b K Overclocking
November 14, 2010 8:56:37 PM

Then you just fail, because its not called "with out no voltage tweak" it's called stock voltage.
!