What bit processor does playstation 3 use

Status
Not open for further replies.

arokia

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
hey guys i'm currently using the intel Q9550 2.83Ghz and i know its a 64bit processor.

well i'm just curious to know wat bit processor a playstation 3 uses.

this might be a stupid question but i just want to improve my general knowledge.

guy please give your suggestions and your source if possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arokia

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
thanks dude but in the wikipedia all i could find about ps3's cpu was

The PS3 uses the Cell microprocessor, which is made up of one 3.2GHz PowerPC-based "Power Processing Element" (PPE) and six accessible Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs). A seventh runs in a special mode and is dedicated to aspects of the OS and security, and an eighth is disabled to improve production yields. The floating point performance of the whole system (CPU + GPU) is reported to be 2 TFLOPS.[1] PlayStation 3's Cell CPU achieves 204 GFLOPS single precision float and 15 GFLOPS double precision. The PS3 has 256MB of Rambus XDR DRAM, clocked at CPU die speed. As of firmware update 2.01, 32MB of the XDR memory is reserved by the PS3's XrossMediaBar user interface.

which gave no info about what bit processor it was using.

if any of u guys have any idea about this topic plz do share!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shrex

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
its 128bit but that doesnt mean anything if you are trying to compare performance with a core 2 quad, the quad is superior in almost every way, its faster at majority of applications, its faster at running linux and its faster at running games

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
I would think it is the memory bus that is 128 bit wide and cpu itself is 32 bit. Because firstly there is no need for more then 32 bit, secondly judging from the big performance hit going for single precission to double is from 204 down to 15 GFLOPS.

mi1ez

Splendid
Both the PPE and SPE are RISC architectures with a fixed-width 32-bit instruction format. The PPE contains a 64-bit general purpose register set (GPR), a 64-bit floating point register set (FPR), and a 128-bit Altivec register set. The SPE contains 128-bit registers only. These can be used for scalar data types ranging from 8-bits to 128-bits in size or for SIMD computations on a variety of integer and floating point formats. System memory addresses for both the PPE and SPE are expressed as 64-bit values for a theoretic address range of 264 bytes (16,777,216 terabytes). In practice, not all of these bits are implemented in hardware. Local store addresses internal to the SPU processor are expressed as a 32-bit word. In documentation relating to Cell a word is always taken to mean 32 bits, a doubleword means 64 bits, and a quadword means 128 bits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_(microprocessor)

Well you could say it's a 64-bit CPU. The 128 bit registers are for working with vectors such as multiplying or adding them. The PPE main processing unit is optimized really for single precision due to the AltiVec unit but it can do double precision, it just does it much slower. Of course that's only the main processing core. The Cell has 7 SPEs (technically 8 but one is disabled ), but those are optimized to do up to 32-bit floating point and integer math. While it can also do double precision (64-bit) it's performance is alot worse than as that is not what it was designed for. Just read the article in wikipedia already mentioned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_(microprocessor)

Basically it's primarily a 32-bit chip that can operate at 64-bit. I say that because rather than floating point performance being halved when doing double precision, it's like 1/10. The new server version of the Cell made by IBM has much better 64-bit performance.

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
I would call it a 32bit CPU with a few 64 features.

It's like the Dreamcast, it was advertised as a 128bit console, or even better the Nintendo64 which was marketed as a 64bit console. But the 64/128bit most certainly did not refer to the main CPU, I think it probably refered to the GPU, but the point is they never told you what it refered to.

Typically, I go by bus width, which for the PS3 is 128bit, I believe. That stands for the maximum amount of data then can be read per clock cycle (hence, why the largest registers are generally the size of the bus width).

G

I know something like that:
the gameboy color is 8 bit
the gameboy advance is 32 bit(not sure about this one)
the ps2 is 256 bit
so the ps3 must be much more than that....

dib

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
The PS2 is NOT 128 or 256 bit, neither is the PS3 processor. The PS3 uses a " IBM 64-bit Power Architecture™ processor and the SPU SIMD-based processors. " so there you go. This is not a "I think" moment. It's fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.