Sign in with
Your question

ASUS M3A78-CM

Last response: in Motherboards
September 3, 2009 7:05:44 AM

Hello everyone.
SO... I had an old Sony Vaio... PCV-RS510.... it was a piece..... and I needed to upgrade... long story short I fried the power supply and ended up buying a new case, motherboard, CPU, ram, and graphics card. SO... here are the specs for what I just bought and put in the case.

CASE SPECIFICATIONS:

# Model: Logisys CS51W Area 51 Computer Case - Black
# Item No: C0612
#

General Features:
• 11-Bay ATX Case w/450 watt Power Supply
• Black case style
• Faceplate has blue LEDs
• Cool looking window design
• Black drive bay door
• Side panel window design
• One (1) 120 mm fan mounts on front (fan not included)
• One (1) 120 mm fan mounts on rear (fan not included)
• One (1) 80 mm fan on side window (w/blue LEDs)
• Two (2) front mounted USB ports
• Front mounted headphone and mic ports
• Power Switch
• Reset Switch
• Power LED
• HDD Access LED
#

Available Drive Bays:
• Four (4) externally available 5.25-inch drive bays
• Two (2) externally available 3.5-inch drive bays
• Five (5) internally available 3.5-inch drive bays
#

Expansion Slots:
• Seven (7) punch-out expansion slots
#

Case Dimensions:
• 17.5 x 8 x 19.5-inches (H x W x D, approximate)
#

Compatible Motherboard Types:
• ATX
• MicroATX
• MiniATX
• BabyATX
• BabyAT (if it has an ATX power connector)
#

Power Supply Connectors:
• One (1) 20 + 4-pin ATX connector
• One (1) 4-pin AUX connector
• Four (4) 4-pin molex connectors
• One (1) Floppy connector
• One (1) SATA connector
#

Power Supply Output:
• +3.3V, 30A
• +5V, 50A
• +12V, 25A
• -12V, 0.8A
• -5V, 0.5A
• +5Vsb, 2.0A

MOTHERBOARD SPECIFICATIONS:

* Model: AMD Phenom X4 9850 & Asus M3A78CM AM2+ Motherboard / CPU Combo
* Item No: C3628

CPU Features:
• Speed: 2.5GHz (2500MHz)
• Socket AM2+
• Phenom X4 - Quad Core Series
• Hyper Transports 4000MHz
• Cache: 4MB
• Manufacturing Technology: 65 nm
• 125W Power Specification
• 64 bit Support

MotherBoard Features:
• Socket AM2+
• AMD 780V & SB700 Chipsets
• 8-Channel High Definition Audio Onboard (7.1ch Surround Sound)
• ATi Radeon HD3100 RV610 Graphics Onboard w/ Up to 256MB Memory Share
• 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Controller Onboard
• Supports RAID 0, 1, 10
• ATI Hybrid CrossFireX Technology Support
• Video Ports D-Sub + DVI + Display Port
• Supports PCI-Express 2.0 Standard
• 24-pin Main Power
• Micro ATX Form Factor
• Dimensions - 9.6" x 9.6"
• Windows Vista and Windows XP Certified

Memory Support:
• 4 x 240pin DDR2 Memory Slots
• Supports DDR-2 1066/800/667/533 Memory Speeds
• Dual Channel Support
• Max Memory Capacity up to 8GB

Expansion Slots / Ports:
• 1 x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 Slot (Supports ATI Hybrid CrossFireX Technology)
• 1 x PCI-Express x1 Slot
• 2 x PCI Slots
• 1 x IDE Port ATA-133 Channel
• 6 x SATA2 Ports (3Gb/s)
• 12 x USB 2.0 Ports (6 rear, 6 by headers)
• 1 x PS/2 Keyboard Port
• 1 x Serial Header
• 1 x Parallel Header
• 1 x VGA Port
• 1 x DVI Port
• 1 x DisplayPort
• 1 x RJ45 LAN Port
• 1 x S/PDIF-out Header
• Audio I/O Jacks

CPU Fan Features:
• AMD Phenom Socket AM2+ Heatsink & Fan

RAM SPECIFICATIONS:

* Model: GSKILL 4GB Memory Kit - 2x2GB - F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
* Item No: C2895
* General Features:
• 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
• Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB Sticks)
• Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
• Cas Latency 5
• Timing 5-5-5-15
• Voltage 1.8V - 1.9V
• Dual Channel Capable
• Heat Spreader

Compatibility: PC2-6400 / DDR2 800

VIDEO CARD SPECIFICATIONS:

# Model: MSI ATi HD4650 1GB PCIe HD Video Card - R4650-MD1G
# Item No: C6989
# General Features:
• PCI Express 2.0 x16
• 1GB Memory
• ATI Radeon HD 4650 Graphics Processor
• HDMI, DVI, and VGA Support
• Core Clock 600MHz
• 320 Stream Processing Units
• Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
• Built-On Cooler With Fan
• HDCP Ready
• ATi CrossFire X Support
# Memory Features:
• 1GB GDDR2 Memory
• 1000MHz Memory Clock
• 128-bit Interface
# Advanced Features:
• DirectX 10.1 Support
• OpenGL 2.0 Support
# Connectors / Ports:
• 1 x HDMI Port
• 1 x VGA / D-SUB Port
• 1 x DVI Port

OK, so... I order all those parts, and I wanted to salvage a few things off of my old computer... so, I get everything plugged in, power it up, everything works, nothing blowing up, good start. I let it start up past the BIOS option screen and then it comes to a black screen and tells me... "Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". So, I assume it's not reading my DVD and/or my HD. SO, I reboot open up my BIOS and sure enough, neither are recognized. So, at this stage I have one IDE ribbon cable running from mother board to first the HD than the DVD drive.... so I unplug the DVD drive and reboot. So, it starts up and comes to the choose how you want to start windows mode, each option i chose had the same result... it would come to the loading Windows screen and reboot. BTW, on the Sony Vaio I was running Windows XP 32 bit. So then, I plug the DVD drive in and unplug the HD, I try to start it up with the mobo cd and it just comes to a blank screen. SO THEN, I pull out a newer DVD drive that is SATA and hook it up to my computer and plug the HD back in. So, I insert my Windows XP cd and it runs through all the loading of all the files and recognizing all the hardware and the last thing it says before going blue screen is loading windows. On the BSOD the error it gives me is "STOP 0x0000007B(0F78D2524), 0xC000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000" So then I reboot and try to start the computer with the mobo cd in and it gives me another error.

So... I know I probably gave a whole lot more info than really necessary but I wanted to put it all in there, and this is the first computer I've built, so, I know I may be doing some really stupid things or not understanding basics, but I'm trying to learn.

I don't have a disk drive (a:)  connected, and I don't know if I need to have one in...? :|

The hard drive I am trying to use is from the VAIO, it's 120GB drive, and is not SATA compatible... if more specs on this are needed let me know. For the old OS I think I only had SP2 for XP.

Please help, I've been at this for a few days and I'd just like for it to work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

More about : asus m3a78

a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2009 9:15:21 AM

I don't understand, you just bought a bunch of new components and place them within the same case? And this includes the motherboard, right?
September 3, 2009 2:08:09 PM

Sorry. :|

Yes, I bought a bunch of new components... case, motherboard, cpu, ram, and graphics card. I placed all of those in the new ATX case I bought, then went over to my old computer, the Sony Vaio, and took the hard drive and dvd drive out and placed those in my new case and attached those to my new motherboard.

I listed my specific problems after the list of specs for the new hardware, but basically it won't start. It reboots automatically if I let it boot from the hard drive... and gives me a BSOD of sorts if I try to run the Windows XP setup, and it gives me errors if I start with the mobo cd.

So, I don't know what to do
Related resources
October 7, 2009 12:25:13 AM

Is the disc you are using xp upgrade disc? I had the same problem trying to install windows xp with an upgrade disc to a new clean harddrive....tried a full install disc and it worked perfectly.
October 7, 2009 4:49:55 AM

No... it was an original install disk. I got it working though... I had to remove one of my 2gb memory sticks... and had to do fresh clean install... I couldn't run a recovery though :\
Thanks for the help though :D 
February 6, 2010 7:33:37 AM

Yo Bro,

I don't quite understand some of the logig behind the system you are trying to build.

You are starting with a cadillac Motherboard/Processor Combo. Any parts that you add from this point, should not detract from
the killer MB you are starting with. Get a SATA C:\ Drive for instance. You are losing approx %130 data transfer speed when for the few bucks more, you will see everything run better, especially if you are running the dog slow Vysta OS.

I hope you also know that tou need to format an older hard Drive (Back up what you desire) or buy a $25 externel case to put it in, and connect via USB. You must put all the new system drivers for the Motherboard on the new SATA Drive.

If the processors are 64 bit, I would use XP Premium 64 bit edition, until we see how Windows 7 plays out. I have completely skipped Vista, and would never but a system or build one around it. This was Microsoft's biggest flop ever.

With a SATA DVD/CD device, and the proper power supply connections (Check the Video card too unless it's built in), you have the basics of a kick ass system. (Don't forget a high speed modem, and update all drivers, as soon as you are running.)

From Looking at your case, though it may look cool, you may need to make some changes. I assume the power supply came with. It needs to go, wattage is marginal (due to case size, you are gonna need some serious air flow) Between the motherboard, video (Later) additional case fans ( you need at least one blowing right on those processors) plus two additional, not to mention the pretty lights, you be out of juice.

Also, if I am not mistaken, the MB has connections for (4) SATA devices, so one ain't helping you none. Get rid of the ribbon cable for crissakes!!

Most new MB's have a built in Network connection as well. As for the video, on board video has shown a lot of improvement, especially from ASUS. So if it plays the most intensive graphic draining game, you should be all set.

Once you get the first one under your belt, you'll never buy another desktop. Good Luck

wjcnt@yahoo.com
!