From Comcast & TiVo to Dish DVR 522

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 9, 2004 2:56:09 PM

I'm a retired long time Comcast customer who was getting a 30% discount
until they discontinued it. I also had a series 1 TiVo which I was paying
the monthly fee on. The TiVo had only one tuner. Between the cable and Tivo
my monthly bill was going to be close to $75. This was with the Encore
package. Decided to go with the Dish DVR 522 without the Encore (60 pak
with locals and service protection) for about $41/mo. The DVR 522 has its
problems and is not as user friendly as the TiVo but between the lower
monthly cost and the dual tuner and outputs including a second uhf remote
which can be used anywhere in the house, I find it well worth it.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 9:04:10 PM

Patrick Casher wrote:

> I'm a retired long time Comcast customer who was getting a 30% discount
> until they discontinued it. I also had a series 1 TiVo which I was paying
> the monthly fee on. The TiVo had only one tuner. Between the cable and Tivo
> my monthly bill was going to be close to $75. This was with the Encore
> package. Decided to go with the Dish DVR 522 without the Encore (60 pak
> with locals and service protection) for about $41/mo. The DVR 522 has its
> problems and is not as user friendly as the TiVo but between the lower
> monthly cost and the dual tuner and outputs including a second uhf remote
> which can be used anywhere in the house, I find it well worth it.

Uh, we're happy for you?
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 4:15:00 AM

"Patrick Casher" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>I'm a retired long time Comcast customer who was getting a 30% discount
>until they discontinued it. I also had a series 1 TiVo which I was paying
>the monthly fee on. The TiVo had only one tuner. Between the cable and Tivo
>my monthly bill was going to be close to $75. This was with the Encore
>package. Decided to go with the Dish DVR 522 without the Encore (60 pak
>with locals and service protection) for about $41/mo. The DVR 522 has its
>problems and is not as user friendly as the TiVo but between the lower
>monthly cost and the dual tuner and outputs including a second uhf remote
>which can be used anywhere in the house, I find it well worth it.

Having DirecTV previous to Comcast offering Internet cable, I find that
Comcast's practice of charging me 25% more for cable Internet to be
bordering on "extortion", I will be so happy when alternative cable ISPs
get a chance at it - a similar law to the forced leased-lines thing
happened with telephone lines, and look how phone prices dropped through
the floor.

What has happened is once fast DSL is available here, Comcast has lost a
customer for life because of their leeching practice.
...D.
!