New System not booting up?

StefanH

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Hey I've just upgraded my motherboard, Processor and RAM. I have kept my Graphics Card, optical Drive, Hard Drive, Wireless card and TV out Card. Unfortunately after the upgrade when I try to boot up my system nothing happens. I'm adamant that everything is plugged into the motherboard correctly, can anyone help me?

System Specs:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8 GHz 1066 MHz
- Abit IX48 GT3 Hotfoot Motherboard
- Kingston 2GB 2 PCS 1333MHZ RAM
- Gigabyte 8600 GT 512 MB DDR2
- 600 W Yaha Power supply
- 320GB IDE HDD
- Optical Drive
- Wireless Card (PCI)
- Asus TV out Card (PCI)

Previously I had:

- Celeron D 3.06 GHz
- 1 GB x 2 PCS DDR2 533MHz
- Asus P52ND2 SLI Motherboard
- 330 W PSU

blueagle78

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
When you switch it on, are there any beeps or nothing at all?
If there's nothing then the first thing I would do is just to double check the ATX and CPU power cables from your PSU are plugged in properly.
I've had this problem when I built my new PC last week. I then took everything out, put the motherboard on a cardboard and had just CPU/fan, RAM and switched it on, it started working. I was doing something really silly. I didn't fit the spacers on the new case before fixing mobo!

Atticah

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
often times people mess on that little board on the mobo where the
pwr led - Hd activity area is people often put it in the wrong place

StefanH

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah the Power supply cables are in correctly and there are no beeps, also what do you mean by the spacers on the case? My case has some small brass things which prop up the motherboard but otherwise I'm not sure what spacers are. But thanks for the help I'll try what you said, taking the mobo out and then trying it.

StefanH

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah I've got the front panel connectors in correctly I noted them down from the old motherboard and from the Motherboard manual. But thanks for the idea.

Go through the checklist:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] -checklist

After the checklist, try this:
Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

To eliminate the possiblility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. This is called "breadboarding" - from the 1920's homebrew radio days. I always breadboard a new or recycled build. It lets me test components before I go through the trouble of installing them in a case.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare). Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - an inadequate PSU will cause a failure here or any step later.
Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to successfully POST (generally a single short beep).

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time.