tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Hey guys I got an I7 920 at the stock 2.67ghz and I want to push it somewhere around 3.2 if possible. I got the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro with the standard arctic silver so the extra heat should not be an issue.

I have the gigabyte EX58-UD3R. I go to the bios, change the multiplier to raise the speed and save it by hitting F10 and hitting yes. When I start windows and look at system I notice windows still shows it running at 2.67ghz.

Also It seems OC changes the ram speeds as well. I got 6 gigs of gskill DDR3 1333 ram. When I change the multiplier for the cpu, the speed of the ram drop from 1333 to 1066 or even 11xx. Can anybody give me an idea of how to OC the chip without it messing up the board.

I don't really want to mess with voltages or tweak the QPI as I never did either and don't wanna possibly buy a new board because of trail and error. The last board I had was an asus and it simple as it had some presets and also allowed you to change the multiplier yourself without these issues.

Any help is appreciated.

sharr

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
If u dont want to read up on how to OC and u also want to have a mild OC without bothering with anything, then the most simple way to do it is to install the gigabyte OC software (it comes with the mobo). U will have 3 or 4 (i dont remember exactly) profiles to chise from, only by pressing a button.

Thou i DONT recommend this shortcut and its always best to read up and do it yourself, it is an option. Problem with this kind of software is that it raises voltages and other settings too high, settings which u could adjust on your own after reading a couple of guides and watching one or two tutorials. I personaly own the same setup as u and i can tell u for sure, playing around with the bios settings on that board is a delight. Dont worry about killing your mobo or CPU cause if your settings are too far off, the system just wont boot and it will restart until u change them back or until u press the "clear CMOS" button which resets everything to factory settings.

People new to OC-ing think someone else can just tell them which settings to change/adjust and thats it. Problem is every mobo and every CPU have their own "personalities".

Good luck with your OC and hope u will decide to read a little about it :)

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Thanks for the answer. I guess i'll leave it as is. It it takes any more work than simply typing in a new number in the multiplier/clocks then its not for me. Maybe i'll go back to asus for my next board as my old asus that I used with an old C2D was that simple. All I had to do was type in a new number in the multiplier/clocks and save and that was it.

I wouldn't exactly call having to sit and constantly mess around with settings to get something to work when it should have some built in pre-sets a "delight" but to each his own.

sharr

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
1st. It IS possible only to change the BCLK and thats it, u will have the +300-400MHz increase.
2nd. Tweaking the settings allows u to get to higher clocks while maintaining a stable OC at low temps.
3rd. Did u even try the Gigabyte OC software i recommended ? That software allows for a one click OC.

Built in presents are never guranteed to work, which is why alot of people avoid them, they also apply more voltage than would be needed. Some "pre-sents" would just increase the bus speed, and mayble the CPU voltage, but this would cause the RAM to run at speeds faster than it is rating potentionally making the system unstable and crashing, but if you changes those settings individually in the BIOS you wouldnt have that problem.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I never had any issues with the preset stuff on my old asus board. I figured out how to do it. I got to 3.4 ghz just by changing the base clock with out changing anything in the voltages. I'm sure some will say this is not real overclocking but it works for me.

FGFAPilot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

how do you increase the multiplier of i7 isn't it locked