Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

OPEN WITH window opens instead of program

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 21, 2011 7:58:04 AM

Now that we've got EXE files opening once again (by gingerly making registry changes), we still have to do it in an unconventional manner. Before we managed to fix the registry to get the "Open With ..." window opening each time, rather than absolutely NOTHING happening when we would try to open a program, we hunted in system files and found ...

WIN.COM for Compatibility

to add to the list of possibilities in this "Open With ..." window.

THAT option then opens the files. BUT since, before EXE files had a problem and many would not even open, they used to just automatically pop open when clicked on, the question is:

WHAT YET needs to be changed in either registry or file association folder for these programs to once again open automatically, rather than having to wait for the "Open With ..." window to pop up, and then click on WIN.COM for them to begin opening??

Thank you so much!

gs
August 21, 2011 2:03:42 PM

composer said:
Now that we've got EXE files opening once again (by gingerly making registry changes), we still have to do it in an unconventional manner. Before we managed to fix the registry to get the "Open With ..." window opening each time, rather than absolutely NOTHING happening when we would try to open a program, we hunted in system files and found ...

WIN.COM for Compatibility

to add to the list of possibilities in this "Open With ..." window.

THAT option then opens the files. BUT since, before EXE files had a problem and many would not even open, they used to just automatically pop open when clicked on, the question is:

WHAT YET needs to be changed in either registry or file association folder for these programs to once again open automatically, rather than having to wait for the "Open With ..." window to pop up, and then click on WIN.COM for them to begin opening??

Thank you so much!

gs

Set file Type associations in folder options. Check out dougknox.com, as there are batch files to do various tasks for file associations.
m
0
l
August 21, 2011 3:32:34 PM

ksiemb said:
Set file Type associations in folder options. Check out dougknox.com, as there are batch files to do various tasks for file associations.


Yes, I where those are. Too many rather-related-looking/sounding names; searching the web confuses things, too. Thank you.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 21, 2011 6:08:29 PM



Go back to Doug's site and click in the left hand pane on XP Fixes then in the centre pane click on File Association Fixes and finally in the centre on EXE File Fix. That's the best one to try first.


m
0
l
August 21, 2011 7:56:08 PM

composer said:
Yes, I where those are. Too many rather-related-looking/sounding names; searching the web confuses things, too. Thank you.

Here ya go: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

This is what Saga Lout is referring to.
m
0
l
August 22, 2011 6:38:26 AM

(see in my last note I left a word out! happens when typing fast)

Anyway, finally found where a note mentioned to associate RAReg (not sure exact name now; don't have assoc's open) with the .REG ending files to add yet another small fix to it, other than those I made in several places with registry files open.

NOW, my .exe files actually open correctly!

Thank you all. ;o)

gs

m
0
l
!