EVGA x58 sli le supports ddr2 ram?

fishmarket123

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Hey guys I'm considering buying the EVGA x58 sli le motherboard and was wondering if it support ddr2 memory. The reason i ask this is because i have OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 SLI-Ready Edition 4GB Dual Channel (2x2gb) ram on my current computer, and was thinking of putting it with the the evga x58 sli le if i ever decided to buy it. Thanks in advance

fishmarket123

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I was hoping to build a gaming rig with a $1500 CAN budget. so far looking at:

CPU: intel core i7 920
MOBO: evga x58 sli le
Case: cooler master haf 932
PSU: OCZ 700W fatal1ty series
GPU: evga geforce gtx 260 SC
HDD: WD caviar black 500 gb

I'm also planning on upgrading it along the year such as getting another gtx 260. I just dont know what kind of ram and how much i should get. Im not too familiar with overclocking though i might plan on getting into it, does it run high end games better?

If the PC you want to build is soley for gaming you have a couple of options to choose from..

First of all next week the i5 will be released with the P55 mobo's as well.. Another option is going AMD with their current x4 CPU's....

In my honest opinion I would rather build a new i5 rig instead of an i7... I have seen where the i5 750 beats the i7 920 is some tests including 3dmark06.... Not that you will save much by going with the i5 but it does look very promising...

fishmarket123

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Well the pc i want to build does not have to be entirely for gaming, i just want a pc for simple everyday such as(msn, homework, media) used mostly for gaming though, and is able to run most high end games at full settings preferably at least for the next couple of years but I'm probably just going to stick with the i7 anyways. Also do you have any opinions on the setup i'm currently looking at (posted earlier) and what would be some good gaming rams?

As far as the Ram goes you can use Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz or OCZ Platinum 1600Mhz.... There are other modules that work also but IMO those are the best for that specific board....

fishmarket123

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
If im going to get the corsair dominator 1600 mhz, should i get the (3x2gb), (2x2gb), or (2x1gb). Not really sure how much gb of rams i actually need.

Yes, 6GB is the sweet spot for the i7 chips since they use a triple channel RAM controller. You'll want to get DDR3 RAM that comes in a set of three for the i7. The i7 also has a RAM voltage limit of 1.65v, so make sure that the kit you pick stays within that limit.

Keep in mind that you'll also need a 64-bit OS to be able to use 4GB+ of RAM. It seems like a lot of people still aren't aware of that.

The down side to the free upgrade is that you get a coupon code for the download and not the actual disk, that translates to a PIA when it is time to format.... Id rather wait and get the disk and license...

fishmarket123

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
yeh im buying my stuff from newegg, does the upgrade coupon allow you to choose from different windows 7 editions? And what happens if you wanna reformat, is it like a one time thing?

If I am correct, lets say you buy the Vista 64bit, then I guess you would get the Win7 64bit and so forth... As far as the reformat, as long as you are using that copy (download) on one PC only you should not have an issue, but when it is time to format the downside to it is that if you do encounter any issues you have to deal with MS and that is a hassle.... IMO it is much easier to pop in a disk and format w/o having to worry about anything....

fishmarket123

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I guess i just feel more secured knowing that the actual disk is legit. And if MS actually sent you a hard copy version of windows 7 from the upgrade coupon, than wouldn't it be a way better price compared to when windows 7 is actually released on Oct 22 in retailers? Where you pay $109 for the vista as opposed to $200+ which does not make sense to me.

No I dont, but I remember back when Dell was doing the same thing back when Vista was about to drop and the coupon code was good for 1 DL install. For example you would go to the MS website and type in the code, after that you would be re-directed to another page where you would actually DL the OS. Then you would get an e-mail from dell with your confermation # and that would be your proof of purchase. Im not 100% sure how Newegg does it, I am just assuming they will do it this way since I doubt MS will give you 2 Disks and 2 licences for 109.99$ specially on a 64bit OS.. Like I said I might be wrong but it does not make sense due to MS normally makes you overpay for thier products.....

Did you look at the link I provided? Here's a quote from it:

"How your order will be processed

1. Your Upgrade order will be directed to the designated fulfillment site that corresponds with your shipment address.
2. Processing should occur by the estimated shipment date provided in the Order Confirmation e-mail.
3. You can track order status at any time on this website by navigating to the Track/Edit Your Order tab.
* To check order status, you will need the e-mail address you entered into your Shipping Details, and either your Order ID or the Microsoft Offer Form Code(s).
* Items that display on the Track/Edit Your Order page includes the Shipping Address of record, the Order Date, the order Status, an Item(s) summary, an estimated Shipment Date, the Carrier name, and Tracking Number/Link if provided by the carrier.
* An order shipment confirmation e-mail will also be sent and will include the same information as above.
* Note that the shipping date may vary depending on carrier and geography.
4. If your Upgrade media shipment is undeliverable for any reason, you will be notified by e-mail.
* All contact related to the Upgrade Program will normally be by e-mail; however, we may phone you if the e-mails are undeliverable.
5. When your Upgrade DVD(s) arrive, please verify the Windows 7 edition, language, and platform (32-bit or 64-bit) and ensure they match your original order."

Ok so I just got off the phone with a tech at MS and she stated the following :

If you purchase a copy of ANY MS Vista OS with a free upgrade coupon, in this case we are talking about Neweggs special, YOU have to have Vista installed in order for the upgrade to work, You cannot do a fresh install with the coupon due to the fact that Win7 will scan your system to make sure that both copies are legit and came from the same source......

She also stated that once you have the coupon code you will be sent a disk that is linked to the same copy of Win Vista that was purchased in the first place. If you try to do a fresh install, lets say that you just purchased a new hard drive and you want to use that copy of Win 7, once the installation starts the software (OS) will detect that you are not upgrading from Win Vista and the installation will not finalize.

Ok, I got it.... Sketchy but what the hell, there is nothing we can do about it....

They said the same thing about the upgrade version of Vista.

Edit: There is a work-around that allows you to do a fresh install of the OS using an upgrade disk. I removed the instructions and links due to fear of Moderator action. A Google search for "Windows 7 upgrade disk fresh install" does wonders, though. :)

Yea you are absolutely right, I was just assuming that since Dell screwed me over at the time Vista dropped a couple years back....

Then my suggestion to everyone is get Vista NOW since you are basically getting 2 OS's for 109.99$$

Now I have to save up and buy this before OCT 22nd.........