Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ok to mix DDR333 with DDR400?

Last response: in Memory
Share
September 3, 2009 5:43:19 PM

I've got a 512 stick of DDR333 and a 512 stick of DDR400. I'm going to be running Windows 7 (just for kicks).

I should just go with both sticks and a lower overall memory speed than just one stick of 512mb DDR400, right?

Or, should I go with just the DDR400 and hope I don't run out of ram?

I'm thinking both. Right? :heink: 

More about : mix ddr333 ddr400

September 3, 2009 6:05:09 PM

You can run both, but they will both run at 333.
September 3, 2009 6:14:18 PM

Please specify your processor and FSB.
Related resources
September 3, 2009 6:17:19 PM

Running Windows 7 (or Vista) with only 1GB of RAM might be a bit short.
September 3, 2009 6:25:38 PM

Intel® Celeron® D Processor 352
(512KB L2 cache, 3.20GHz, 533MHz FSB)

Zenthar, I'm hearing you with the 1gb of ram...
September 3, 2009 7:03:20 PM

It should work, they're planning to use it for netbooks so maybe you could turn off Aero and hope for the best.
September 3, 2009 7:13:39 PM

HA! So I booted the eMachine and went into the BIOS. Turns out, it's running both sticks at 400mhz. Ever heard of that? Weird... hopefully, I'm stable
September 4, 2009 11:52:17 AM

Run memtest86+ and check for errors to stay on the safe side.
September 4, 2009 5:24:06 PM

evongugg said:
Run memtest86+ and check for errors to stay on the safe side.


excellent idea... I'm on it
a b } Memory
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 4, 2009 6:03:43 PM

I tested Windows 7 on a system with only 768MB of memory and it ran fine. I didn't try running very much at once on it, but it will certainly run on 1GB.
September 4, 2009 6:07:43 PM

Yeah, it is actually running fine... Windows 7 boots quickly and runs smoothly. I'm actually at 768mb, also, because of the 256 shared memory.

That's the only thing this computer is missing: decent video. I'm going to run clockgen on the FSB and see if I can push it a little bit after I figure out if the memory is a-ok
September 4, 2009 6:08:53 PM

sminlal said:
I tested Windows 7 on a system with only 768MB of memory and it ran fine. I didn't try running very much at once on it, but it will certainly run on 1GB.


Agreed. That was supposed to be one of the improvements of Win7. Vista is a hog. Can't wait till they ship my copy of 7.
September 4, 2009 6:35:58 PM

How many memtest86+ passes do you reckon I should run? It just finished without any errors. Maybe one more, for good measure?
a b } Memory
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 4, 2009 6:51:45 PM

You shouldn't expect any issues simply due to the difference in memory speeds. As long as you're not overclocking the memory, I would treat one successful pass as a sign that all is well.
September 4, 2009 6:59:45 PM

Your bottleneck is going to be the amount of RAM (megabytes), not the speed. So yes, while both sticks will run at the lower speed (333), your system should be more responsive in multitasking due to the higher amount of ram in the system. Honestly though, you shouldn't really be running a windows 7 o.s. with less than 2gb IMO.
September 4, 2009 7:06:50 PM

yobigd20 said:
Your bottleneck is going to be the amount of RAM (megabytes), not the speed. So yes, while both sticks will run at the lower speed (333), your system should be more responsive in multitasking due to the higher amount of ram in the system. Honestly though, you shouldn't really be running a windows 7 o.s. with less than 2gb IMO.


As posted above, the ram is running at 400mhz ... don't know why. But it is!
!