New Gaming System, build will be under time contraints

Scou

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
So here's the deal, won't order anything tell about the middle of April, but once I do I have to order everything. Early May I get home and I'm there for 30 days before I leave again. I plan to build the computer when I'm home so I can ship it to me next location. But enough of that, on to the stuff.

I already have a monitor (22 inch), keyboard, mouse, 5.1 surround. I just have an old computer, AMD 3500+, 1 Gig of ram, Geforce 7900 (that's only there cause I upgraded it). So the computer will be a complete rebuild. Technically I don't have a budget, but I'm trying not to go much above 2,000 US dollars if I can.

Through much deliberation, and I mean MUCH (literally well over a week at work looking at reviews and such) I decided to go with the Cosmos S for the case. What can I say, I'm a sucker for pretty things.

Going with the Core i7 920 for the CPU. From everything I've read, the 940 is not worth it.

For GPU I'm going NVIDIA, the only question is which one. The GTX 295 looks really nice, but its also the most exspensive. I want to stick with one card right now, but leave myself open to SLI. So unless the performance difference gained by the 295 isn't worth it, that's what I'm leaning towards. But I'm obviously open to ideas, hence why I'm posting here.

I've already got a WD 7,200 RPM 500G hard drive that I'll be transfering over with data and some programs, but no OS. I'm planning on buying a 300G Velociraptor to go with that. I don't think I'll need more space for now (have some externals) and I figure I can always buy a TB drive later if need be.

Motherboard I'm not to sure on. Ran into a few good ones, but most of them seem aimed at 3x or 4x graphics cards, and I don't think I'd ever go over 2. Really, it wouldn't be an issue except that the extra PCIe slots might keep me from having enough normal PCI slots open. I'd like to have at least 2 PCI slots free with 2x SLI if there's anything out there that does that. Aside from that I'm just looking for whatever is best (without spending TOO much money).

From what I've seen for RAM there's a few good options (going for 6Gigs) and it just depends on the prices when you order. So I haven't spent to much time looking at that yet. I have seen a few people talking about compatibility issues with the i7, but it seems that its a pretty easy fix. (Again, if I'm being a complete noob here, just let me know :p).

I'm not good with PSU's yet, I've done some research but haven't made any choices yet.

I've been looking at Blu-ray for an optical drive, but I'm not sure if its really worth it. This build isn't just for now, I am building for the future too. But basically aside from movies (which I know I'd need a new monitor to really tell the difference) would there be any reason to get a blu-ray? Otherwise I'd just grab a normal DVD drive. Probably grab a DVD-RW drive too, but those are usually pretty easy to pick out.

Part of me really wanted to grab a floppy (I'm still old school in a few ways) but I figure I'll up that to a media card reader or something.

Oh ya, CPU cooler. Don't know much in that area. Not planning on overclocking right away, but probably will later. Not crazy, but a little at least.

Lastly, for the case do you think I'd need any additional fans? (It comes with 3 120's plus the side fan). Or replace to fans altogether? And I've looked at fan controlers, but I'm not sure about those. One of the biggest problems I had with my last computer was I basically had no monitoring or control options, so I'd like to fix that this time (I do know lots of stuff is done through software, so that's why I'm not sure about a fan monitor).

Sound card maybe, maybe not. I'm sure I can figure that one out.

I think I covered everything, but if I missed a major thing, let me know. Or if you just think everything I said is dumb and I'm and idiot, feel free to speak your mind :p. Thanks for the help.

. . . :p forgot OS. Going with Vista 64bit, probably ultimate.

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

Okay from reading all this, I will give you a few suggestions on this build:

For the motherboard the Asus P6T Deluxe v2 is one of the best boards for an i7 system. Especially if you plan to SLI later on, this board is setup perfectly for that.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365&Tpk=asus%20p6t%20v2

For the GPU, I would suggest getting the gtx 285. It should be plenty for the monitor you have. You should be set there for a while and then when you need to you can SLI another 285 later on when they are cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130442

For the RAM, here is some of the best 6gb kit that people all over these forums recommend.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381
It has slightly better timings then the OCZ Gold kit for the same price!

You said you were good on HDD, but if you ever need another I suggest the WD Caviar Black 640gb or 1 tb. They are super fast, a little slower then a velociraptor, but for the price it is hard to beat.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

For the PSU, I suggest the Corsair 850tx. It really is a very nice, quality PSU and will allow you to run SLI later on no problem.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009&Tpk=850tx

Any good name brand SATA drive are usually pretty reliable, but here is my suggestion.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136152

For the CPU cooler, the Xigmatek Dark Knight is a pretty good choice, or the CM v8. Here is the Dark Knight:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

You can always get additional fans and accessories if you feel you need it. The cosmos s is a great case though and should provide pretty adequate cooling. Getting a soundcard is up to you. Most motherboards come with great onboard sound, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Oh and last but not least Vista. If you want ultimate you can get it, but I recommend Home Premium 64-bit. Here's both of them:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116493
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488

Hope all this helps! Good luck!

Scou

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks for the reply. Can anyone confirm that the Dark Knight can fit in the Cosmos S? I figure it should, but I read that some people had issues with big CPU coolers.

Also, any particular reason for home over ultimate? Obviously its cheaper, but do you loose much when saving the money?

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

Yes, the Dark Knight should fit no problem. I would not worry about that at all.

As for Ultimate vs. Home Premium take a look at this link from microsoft comparing the versions.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

Hope this helps!

Scou

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Cool, thanks. I'm a sucker for stuff I don't need, which is why I ask people to give me ideas and bring me back down to earth :p. Home Premium probably has everything I need.

Any thoughts on Blu-Ray? I'm not really sure if everything's going to be moving to blu-ray or not eventually. I guess movie wise its only worth it if I plan on getting a bigger monitor someday.

Siggy19

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
The monitor size doesn't much matter... what matters is whether you want to be able to watch Blu-Ray disks on your PC.

If not, don't get it (at least not now... prices are likely to fall)

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

I agree with Siggy. If you watch a lot of blueray movies then invest in it. If not I would wait until prices fall and you can always add it later.

Scou

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
UPS, that what I forgot about. Does anyone have any advice on those? I'm learning, but sometimes all the power numbers lose me. I have an ups right now, but I think its only rated to 350W or so, which wouldn't be good enough here. I don't need a super powerful one, just really enough to protect my computer and give me enough battery life to save stuff and shutdown.

Thanks for the advice on everything else.

Scou

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Bumb, any ideas on UPS?

Also, will the CM V8 fit in the Cosmos S if I go with that instead of the Dark Knight? Thanks for your help.

That requirement is going to be a problem. The ASUS P6T Deluxe for example will have 1 free PCI slot with a single video card range you're looking at.
The less expensive ASUS P6T would have 2 free PCI slots, but again, just 1 with 2x GTX 260 (and up) video cards.

CM V8 will not fit in the Cosmos S case. It's limited to 150mm tall HSFs.
NewEgg customer report: Chris Le Grand: 2/14/2009 1:50:02 PM and 1 other reviewer confirmed the no-fit for the V8

For everything but 3D gaming the 350W (550VA?) UPS is probably enough. Even a Core i7-965 & 2x GTX 285 SLI only draws about ~200watts in idle.
How old is the UPS? Make/Model? They usually need a battery change out every 3-4 years.

edit;
icon4.gif
I forgot to account for the monitor's power draw so that 350W UPS might be marginal. Add another 75watts estimate for an LCD monitor unless you can list make/model of what you have so you can check the actual draw.
Anything else you usually have plugged into the UPS battery?

Scou

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Right now I have computer, monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse (those don't use much though). I guess I can always just plug everything in after I build the computer and then pull the ups plug and see if it works :p.

I don't have it right here, in face I won't be able to check that for a few days (I'm somewhere else on my laptop right now). I'm pretty sure its an APC, but thats all I remember off the top of my head. The battery might be in need of changing though.

Any advice on CPU coolers? Does anyone have this case and a good CPU cooler for it? (If the Dark Knight fits I'll probably go with it, the reason I was actually looking at other ones was that I didn't really want the white LED fan inside my case, but I'll live if there no other options.)

Scou

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Oh, monitor make, wow misread that. Its a Samsung 2233BW 22". I think. Again, not there right now. I'm pretty sure its that though it might be the 226bw (I've got a bad memory).

Scou

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Bump. Anyone on CPU coolers? Dark Knight may or may not fit, not a fan of the LED but I can live with it.

Run into a few places with people saying they use the Zalman 9700, anyone have thoughts on that?

Lastly, apparently the TRUE will fit if turned so it blows up instead of to the back of the case. I'm not really sure if this is a good idea or not.

Thoughts from anyone that has this case would be great, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS