DDR2 Questions

Herbman18

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Hi guys and gals. I have a few questions.

I'm currently running 2 1gb Corsair XMS2 5300 (333mhz) memory sticks and have since aquired 2 512mb Corsair XMS2 6400 (400mhz) memory along with a stick of 1 gig Mushkin Enhanced XP2-8500 type (1066mhz) memory, and I am trying to figure out the best combination as my motherboard will support dual or single configuration. The only major difference between them that I can see is the Mushkin requires a much higher voltage.

Am I better off going with the Corsairs running dual channel, or with 1 set running dual channel with the Mushkin alone or pair it with a 6400? To over all increase memory size by 512mb or would performance loss be to great?

I am running a Intel C2Duo E8400 3ghz with 1333 FSB if im reading CPUZ right all on a Gigabyte P35-DS3L (rev 2 version)

Just trying to figure out the best combo to have the most memory and best performance (Im thinking the Corsair brand with 5300 one channel 6400 second) will out performe the mushkin and anything else added with it or single but feel free to correct me as ram for me is kind of a grey area.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I think which will work the best depends on what you are doing.

First you need to find out what is possible. Can you run the Mushkin with the other slower chips that apparently have some different settings. If all combinations work, then you have the following possibilities (eliminating the obviously slower pairings:

3 GB dual channel at 333
2 GB single channel at 400
1 GB single channel at 1066

Which will be fastest at any time depends on the applications you are using - including how many are running at one time. It just depends on your usage whether you are better off with more memory or faster memory - or a mix in between.

For starters you might verify that them Mushin will run with the the 400 MHz Corsair memory.

If the Mushkin works - it would sure be nice if you could pair up a second stick with it - that would clearly be the best option of all - for all applications.

Herbman18

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Thanks for the reply I have tested to make sure that the Mushkin will run with the others and it seems to run without any errors that I can tell. I primary do gaming and then just the normal web surfing and e-mail etc so my main purpose would be for gaming. So the options you listed I think are basically what my options are and it's a matter of figureing them out.

I will note as I dont think it was mentioned in my original post the 333 5300 ram that I have are 1gb sticks as opposed to the 400 6400 which are only 512. So the options would be between those and the Mushkin, and im just not sure what is the best configuration since they all seem to work together and im looking at performance/speed mainly for the gaming aspect and dont want to kill myself by useing the wrong configuration.

Just quick edit since I seen you add something to yours John. I wish I had an extra stick of the Mushkin, but the guy I recieved it from only had 1 stick available because he actually ended up having the voltage on his to high when he had it and the other stick burned out. (This stick seems to work fine)

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Newegg has several brands of 2 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz memory on sale for about $30. I think you might find a significant increase in performance with them. You really have a good mobo and CPU but probably are strangling them with that memory. YOu might also watch for sales at your local computer store - if you have a decent one.

Herbman18

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Thanks for all the replys. I'm only asking because this is what I have available. I actually got the Mushkin stuff as an extra in a trade I did. (little to no cash) so trades are the best I can manage, and this is what I have so far. But Marco what you said was another concern I have so it almost looks like Ill stick with the 6400 and 5300. If anyone else has ideas or anything feel free to let me know!