Sign in with
Your question

RAM Question

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
September 3, 2009 10:20:45 PM

Hello everyone!

I am about to purchase a new Rig from CyberPowerPC after a good month researching, i am admittedly a little nervous.

If interested, here are the specs of thh new rig.

* CASE: CoolerMaster Storm Sniper Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Yellow with Black Color)
* POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Power Supplies (1, 000 Watts - Quad SLI Ready)
* CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
* COOLING FAN: Asetek LCLC 240 Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans =
* MOTHERBOARD: EVGA X58 SLI Classfied Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX DDR3 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, &7.1Audio (Venom Boost Extreme OC Certified)
* MEMORY: 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1800MHz Triple Channel Memory Module ([Laber Day Weekend Special - Free upgrade from 1600MHz])
* VIDEO CARD: 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX285 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card in SLI
* HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (128 GB Kingston 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk)
* Data Hard Drive: 1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
* Optical Drive: Pioneer 8X BDR-203BKS Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter [Fastest]
* Optical Drive 2: (Special Price) LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition) FREE WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE

Anyways, my question is that there is a sale going on at CP where you can upgrade from Kingston HyperX 12GB DDR3/1600MHz (2Gbx6) to Kingston HyperX 12GB DDR3/1800MHz (2Gbx6) for FREE.

Now is this a good choice to make? Or should i stick with maybe Corsair 6GB DDR3/1600MHz (2GBx3)?
I mean, will 12GB even fit into my MoBo..?

Also i have a few questions about SSD in means of a boot drive (i thought instead of writing it in the HD forum id put it here while we are on topic of my Rig). If using a SSD boot drive should i only be loading the OS onto it and the applications (Adobe After Effects CS4 mainly), but saving the project files and all other media like songs/movies/applications on an a larger HDD?

Any advice on my Rig PLEASE TELL ME before i drop around $3000 into it when i could have changed/saved money on making some smarter choices as i am VERY new at customizing my own rig.

THANKS,
Pat!

More about : ram question

a b } Memory
September 3, 2009 10:31:19 PM

have you though of building it yourself
and btw that liquid cooled system they use is junk
September 3, 2009 10:36:17 PM

As for the RAM, you won't notice any difference between the 1600 and the 1800. Technically the 1800 is faster...but there won't be any performance increase. It is free though ^_^. As for getting 6 gigs vs 12 gigs...I usually only recommend 6. Right now it seems like there isn't much of a way to ever use more than 6 gigs of ram. :/  I would say get the 6GB set and then in the future if things start becoming super RAM dependent, you could get another 6GB set. Yeah 12GB will fit, your board will have 6 slots, and all the sticks you are looking at are 2GB.

I've never had my OS on a different HD than everything else...but from what I understand I'm pretty sure you have it right. Not 100% on that by any means though.

Yeah like mindless728 said, you could save a bunch of money if you just plug the parts in yourself ^_^
Related resources
September 3, 2009 11:57:17 PM

I agree, save some money and just go for 6GB RAM here. You will be fine.
September 4, 2009 12:20:24 AM

First - you did not state how you intended to use system. Knowing this would help. Am I correct in assuming that at least part of your requirements include leading edge game play where you are willing to pay top dollar - and a lot of dollars - for the little extra edge - say 2% over other players? Also what size monitor will you be using?

Second, let me say I agree about needing only 6 GB or RAM. THG reviews show that very few programs today show any improvement with over 3 GB or memory - so there is quite a bit of room to grow with 6 GB.

Obviously you have money to spend and want a high powered rig - so only you can say if the added cost is worth it to you. For instance, two GTX 285 graphics cards are very expensive and you can get very good results with just one - or two of lesser cards. But if you want to pay extra for a little edge - only you can decide. But here are some areas to save a little with little or no impact on performance:

Eliminate special color from case................$100
Get Gigabye GA-EX58-UD5 mobo .............$131
Corsair PSU - get 850w instead of 100w.....$87
Get only 6 GB memory - brand selected.. .$180
Blu-ray reader instead of writer.................$126

Total......................................................$624

What does youir mobo have that you need that the Gigabyte listed above does not have? If you have some specific requirement, is it worth the extra cost?
The 850w should be plenty for your two cards and OC. You did not say if you plan to OC. Do you? How much? If you plan a heavy OC and 3 video cards like GTX 285, then maybe the Kilo PSU is needed.
The memory was discussed above.
Blu-Ray writers are still very expensive. But if you really want or need the the writing capability as opposed to reading only then go for it.

One small increase - actually two - on the video cards I would pay the extra $5 each to get EVGA cards.

You will have quite an impressive rig.

Late thought - do you need to spend the extra $105 for Windows Ultimate over Home Premium? What features are you buying for the difference?
September 4, 2009 12:31:13 AM

You're right if you get a boot ssd, you only install the OS and software on there, all the other stuff goes on your big slave drive. I would however recommend looking into building it yourself, everything you need to know is right here on Tom's Hardware, not only will it be quite a bit cheaper and more customizable, but I've read some really bad reviews from cyberpower pc, stuff like not giving you the hardware they said they would, changing around motherboard models etc, and having pretty bad customer support.
September 4, 2009 7:14:13 AM

Thank you VERY VERY MUCH mindless728, FallenSniper, sprucebr1, rockyjohn, and dodonga for all your great input!

I agree with most of you, building it might be the cheapest option, but i am Canadian, so paying Duties on individual items crossing the border might actually work out to be more expensive (and buying in Canada will DEFINITELY be more expensive compared to the US prices and exchange rates... so who really knows.. i am up for the challenge if it ends up being cheaper though!

RockyJohn, the main purpose of this computer will be for 3d/video rendering (After Effects CS4 and Maya) and for gaming secondly. Maybe this will help in your opinion on what i should choose, should i loose the dual GPU in SLI? MAybe run just 1 EVGA GTX 285 1gb, or the 2gb model..?

I think most of you are right though, i got the idea in my head that the "Bigger the Better" and the i needed the best options available on the market, when in reality i do not at all, there is always room to upgrade in the future when programs/games become more demanding.

I do plan on OC the i7 920 to around 4.0ghz as i heard this isnt hard to reach at all, am i right? I mean, will i notice a real life difference with a OC 920 then with a OC 975 Extreme (worth the $760 price difference)??

I think i will do the SSD for the boot and application drive like you suggested Dodonga, and deff look around for better prices. I agree that the Intel SSD is the best rated SSD out there and will probably purchase that brand. Have you seen any good How-To's or Info on this setup?
September 4, 2009 8:41:42 AM

http://www.newegg.ca/

I would most definitely agree with switching down to just a single GTX 285. I would stick with the 1 gb model as well. Someone will come up with a good suggested build for you. I would...but others are better at finding deals than me...I prefer critiquing afterwards. ^_^

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions
September 4, 2009 9:45:42 AM

definatly check out new egg they have some sweet prices to build it yourself the water cooling is a mess i bought 2 x-clio cases with huge fans and they work great $85ea. added 1 120 mm case fan to each $6 plus lotsa room also you might want to look at the amd phenom II x4 965 black, it overclocks to 4.2 stable on the stock cooling fan $245, and i have an lg blue ray burner wouldnt trade it for the world 25gb on 1 disk is hard to beat just watch the bundled software stay away from the cyberlink bundle everythings outdated and they want to charge for the updates.
September 4, 2009 2:46:12 PM

TSSPat said:
the main purpose of this computer will be for 3d/video rendering (After Effects CS4 and Maya) and for gaming secondly. Maybe this will help in your opinion on what i should choose, should i loose the dual GPU in SLI? MAybe run just 1 EVGA GTX 285 1gb, or the 2gb model..?

Combining video rendering, which is CPU intensive, with gaming, GPU intensive, means you do need a very capable rig all round.

On one vs. two video cards, it seems like you are not a hard core gamer, so yes, I think it might be good to start with one card, then if you find more it is easy to add another later.

Regarding building your own, it is entirely up to you. Those who say it is cheaper are assigning a zero value to all your labor - which can be considerable when you consider ordering parts, checking them, assemblying the PC with the normal little troubleshooting along the way, and finaly doing all the testing. Now if building is something you want to do, like a hobby, then assigning zero value might be OK. But if not - then you need to decide how to value your time. Also to be considered is the value of having a single company to call if you have problems - and the 3 year warranty given on all parts.
Some also often point out the value of getting better quality products, but with Cyberpower you can also choose those quality parts so it is not a difference.

September 4, 2009 5:05:40 PM

Ive decided to choose only one GPU to start off, as you are right RockyJohn, i am defiantly not a hardcore gamer, that being said though, is there a point for me to get the GTX 285 2gb, or should i just stick with the GTX 285 1gb?
September 4, 2009 6:06:26 PM

Do you know what resolution you are going to be running? The 2gb version would only be worth it if you are going to be using crazy high resolutions.
September 4, 2009 6:20:55 PM

Im buying a new Sharp 42" 1080p @ 120Hz, does that classify as a "crazy high resolution?
September 4, 2009 6:55:29 PM

I agree - see the attached chart showing performance of 285 (1 GB), 295, and 285 SLI

I trust you understand on these fps charts that over 30 fps is considered very playable and over 50 fps you will have NO OBSERVABLE DIFFERENCE.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-card...

You can see on the charts that the single 285 plays all the games over 50 with two exceptions:
1. Tom Clancy's Endwar Replay - all high end cards run it exactly at 30 because of the internal game limits in the software
2. One Far Cry listing - and this is still at 46 FPS.

So the GTX 285 1 GB is a great choice - and 2 or 3 years from now when games require more - and assuming you have gotten into them and want the edge - then you can pair up another 285 that by that time should cost substantially less.

While that monitor may not qualify as crazy high resolution - at 42" it is crazy big - wish I had one.

Have you considered getting a video capture card - for cable or video camera? I have no personal experience with them but from what I have read the Haupage brand is the best. Unfortunately Cyberpower does not list the best card they have. If you want one, I recommend buying it yourself and just adding it in. Here is the best one - dual tuner, with remote control and integrated to work with Windows Media Center that will be part of your OS

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner 1213 PCI-Express x1 Interface - Retail - Support Windows 7 - $128
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-card...

You can get a cheaper model with only a single tuner.
September 4, 2009 8:16:48 PM

Hey RockyJohn, believe it or not i have no true need for a Video Capture card since i dont own a TV for television watching purposed. At times ill rent a movie and watch it on my Computer, which is why the BR R/W is going to come in handy. And as for capturing footage off my Video Gear i just the IEEE 1394 slots.

Final Decision (99.9% Sure lol :na:  )

* CASE: CoolerMaster Storm Sniper Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Yellow with Black Color)

* POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Power Supplies (1, 000 Watts - Quad SLI Ready) (For upgrading reasons in the future, saving $87 for a step down to the 850W isnt a big deal if im going to have to buy a 1000W in the future.)

* CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 I do plan on overclocking this to around 4GHz

* COOLING FAN: Asetek LCLC 240 Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans Comes with the Case, so might as well, at least it shows better specs then AirCooled, even if its a low end WC.

* MOTHERBOARD: EVGA X58 SLI Classfied Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX DDR3 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, &7.1Audio (Venom Boost Extreme OC Certified) Again for upgrading reasons i guess.. this is what im still debating on..

* MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx36) DDR3/1800MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (I decided that you are all right and its better to save my money for the 6GB then to get teh 12GB and not notice a difference)

* VIDEO CARD: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX285 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (As the links you provided, the 2GB is not worth the ~$100 added price, and i can always purchase another 285 when prices go down

* HARD DRIVE: 80 GB Intel X25-M 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk I am going to use the 80GB for the OS boot drive, and for a few programs (im tired of waiting 3 minutes for After Effects CS4 to load, ha..

* Data Hard Drive: 1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
* Optical Drive: Pioneer 8X BDR-203BKS Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter [Fastest]
* Optical Drive 2: (Special Price) LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition) FREE WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE

The price of this comes to $2427.00 on CP pre-made.
I took the liberty to look up each piece together each part separately on NewEgg.ca and TigerDirect.ca looking for the best deals (Took over an hour) and the total came out to $2842.00.. and that does not include shipping for each item from both different stores.. So it looks like in this case (Most likely because i am Canadian and our products are still around 30% more expensive when our Dollar is at 93 cents to your dollar :heink:  ) haha..

So i think it is best to purchase from CP and hope to god they dont mess up!

So thanks to all of your advice im saving close to $750 from making smarter and more practical choices on what i need, and dont need. I will be purchasing the PC on Monday so i still have time to change a few things around.

Opinions/Advice is still greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!!

Pat.
September 4, 2009 10:01:01 PM

Pat - just one small thing - I suggest specifying EVGA on the video card - the extra $5 is cheap insurance on this component.

Also I understand what you are saying about TV. It just keeps getting worse and worse as the audience gets fragmented between more shows and the producers then get paid less to produce each show. I just recently gave up cable - but replaced it with Netflix - what a great service. And the best part is the unlimited online viewing of a lot of movies and old TV shows. For $19 per month I get to cycle 3 DVDs and watch unlimited online. I end up watching so much online that I keep some of the DVDs for 2-3 weeks before I get to them. I have really enjoyed watching some of my old favorite TV shows like Rockford, Kojack, and Maverick - and on my schedule. And with no advertisements at all. Its amazing to see 30 Rock shows are really only 20 minutes long - so I save 10 minutes every time I watch the online show.
September 5, 2009 12:11:20 AM

rockyjohn said:
Pat - just one small thing - I suggest specifying EVGA on the video card - the extra $5 is cheap insurance on this component.

Also I understand what you are saying about TV. It just keeps getting worse and worse as the audience gets fragmented between more shows and the producers then get paid less to produce each show. I just recently gave up cable - but replaced it with Netflix - what a great service. And the best part is the unlimited online viewing of a lot of movies and old TV shows. For $19 per month I get to cycle 3 DVDs and watch unlimited online. I end up watching so much online that I keep some of the DVDs for 2-3 weeks before I get to them. I have really enjoyed watching some of my old favorite TV shows like Rockford, Kojack, and Maverick - and on my schedule. And with no advertisements at all. Its amazing to see 30 Rock shows are really only 20 minutes long - so I save 10 minutes every time I watch the online show.

Oops, almost forgot to clcik the EVGA Brand option, thanks for pointing that out John!
And i agree NetFlix seems great, but is it available for Canadians, and dont you need an Xbox360 to view the online content?
September 5, 2009 7:24:00 AM

Sorry - it does not look like Netflix is available in Canada.

The online content is viewable on a PC or you can buy a set top box for about $100 to watch on a TV. I assume you have an reasonably fast internet connection. Mine is 5,000 kbps. It usually takes only about 5 to 10 seconds to load the buffer and then it can play to completion without interruption. Occassionally - not too often - it has a hiccup and has to take another 5 to 10 seconds to build back up the buffer. But the no ad thing is a HUGE time saver - not to mention just not having that annoyance and interruption.

Good luck on your purchase. Please let us know how it works out when you get it.
September 5, 2009 4:07:23 PM

Hhm, i agree that 6gb would be fine, but I'm running 8gb and everything flies, my school of thought is that you can never have too much memory or too many cores.
September 5, 2009 4:10:58 PM

rockyjohn said:

I actually thought about that, my time is so limited, kids, girlfriend, and i live in michigan so i have to be retrained for another job,LOL, would love tosee my fav, minus the commericials, but how long do they take to download, what is the lag like?
September 5, 2009 4:49:18 PM

You don't record the shows but watch them online. Just 5 to 10 seconds for buffer and you're good to go for the full show with no lags or ads. Occassionally there is a hiccup from transmission and it stops another 5 to 10 seconds to buffer - but that only happens about one out of three or four shows. It is great having no ads. And you can pause whenever you want.

I dropped my cable for $60 per month and started paying $19 for this and love it. I much prefer Netflix to cable.

September 7, 2009 6:18:17 AM

I have 2 more questions before i purchase my PC.

#1. Im thinking about getting 160GB (80GBx2) Intel X25-M SSD in RAID-0, any opinions? I hear they are FAST but also pricey, think 80gb will do for the OS, and Apps/Games?

#2. Since im forking out this much money on a good rig, i might as well get a good monitor/tv right? Well i was originally thinking of a 42" HDTV but after a lot of researching i have some questions. What looks better (assuming size is irrelevant for now), a HDTV at 1080p or a monitor with a resolution of around 1920x1200?
September 8, 2009 12:44:13 AM

hmmm, great read FallenSniper. I think im probably going to go with a 32" 1080p LCD Tv but making sure it has a refresh rate of 120hz. If worse comes to worse ill return the tv if the resolution/veiwing quality isnt to my likings. Looks like im buying this rig tomorrow from CyberPower, wish me luck hahaha!
September 8, 2009 4:22:05 AM

You're buying an LCD TV from Cyberpower? Have you actually seen the picture on the monitor to see what the quality really is or read any reviews on it?
September 8, 2009 11:26:27 AM

Hahaha oh no no no! Best Buy/ Future Shop.
October 9, 2009 7:21:08 PM

IVE FINALLY GOT IT! Yes thats right, after a month of waiting my new computer has arrived in the mail!

I received it last week and its a beauty! Pictures to come..

But before i get all happy and share my excitment i think there is a problem with it..
First thing i did was load up the Halo 2 game to see how it handles, and all was going great until about 5 minutes it my computer frooze up and crashed..

Now i thought it was just Halo.. so i installed Battlefied 2, but the same problem happened... so then i got thinking, maybe it is overheating. Now the side fan came unfunctional.. but the rear outtake and front intake work fine, as do the 2x 120mm exhaust fans used with the WaterCooler...

I installed SpeedFan and it looks like one of the temps are at 60'C at idle.. and i have no idea what it is, and why it is like that.. any idea guys?

If anyone knows anything about SpeedFan under Config, Temp2 is listed as F71882F - $290..

What should i do!?

Thanks,
Pat.
!