Sign in with
Your question

What i should do to inprove my performance of my gaming rig??

Last response: in Overclocking
November 14, 2010 4:47:40 AM

my spec is:
mobo:asus p5kpl-am
cpu: pentium D 820 2.8ghz
CPU Cooler: intel stock cooler
GPU: asus geforce gt220 1gb gddr3
Ram: 2x1GB ddr2 667
CASING: cooler master elite 330 with 1 rear fan only(exhaust)
PSU:250 Watt (peak)
HDD: 1x80GB 5400rpm caviar SE 1x500gb 7200rpm caviar green (both on SATA)

I used CPU-Z to test the temp of my rig....CPU on normal usage is 58-60 degree
GPU is 50++ degree on normal usage....

and case temp is 50-60....

d u guys think i nid to install 1 more fan at the front of the case???
and....if i want to overclock my processor, how should i do it??and is tht safe using my intel stock cooler for overclocking??
can i play COD:black ops on my RIG???

if my processor is underpowered, what model of processor d u guys recommend for me to upgrade to???(my mobo supports up to core 2 quad....and i wan the upgrade can last through at least 4 years for gaming....)
November 14, 2010 5:33:00 AM

I would recommend finding your maximum stock temperature before making any decisions. To do this, download CoreTemp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/) and Prime95 (http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html). Then, run a large FFTS stress test on Prime95 for a couple hours, looking at CoreTemp to determine max temperatures. Keep in mind that when OC'ing, you want to keep your core temperatures under about 70C.

I would, however, recommend getting an aftermarket cooler if you really want to OC. I personally use the Scythe Mugen 2. At stock, I got around 50C Max temperatures, which is really good, and now at 3.37GHz, I get between 54-58C max temperatures, so I still have lots of room to go. Installing additional fans, as you suggested, could also potentially decrease temperatures.

As far as COD: Black Ops is concerned, overclocking may help a little, but keep in mind that the game is hardly optimized for PC. Depending on your rig, you may get lag spikes, or the game might crash. As for my personal experience, though, the game itself works fine, with a few glitches. For example, the game is choppy during certain cutscenes, and there is lag for a few seconds after a level has loaded, but I then can play very smoothly. I would just wait for the patch. Any rig built in the last 5 years should be able to handle this game fine but cannot since it is buggy, and upgrading will not help much.

EDIT- Also, you should be able to find some OC'ing guides on the internet. Keep in mind that you should be slow and cautious, and not change things too extremely right away.
m
l
November 14, 2010 5:46:54 AM

+ 1 on Black Ops being buggy and poorly coded for the pc. I'm a COD fanatic and the franchise hasn't exactly been my favorite of late for several reasons. If you're going to overclock, I would suggest buying a better power supply. I don't think you'll get far with 250 watts.
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2010 5:53:59 AM

kerryking said:
I would recommend finding your maximum stock temperature before making any decisions. To do this, download CoreTemp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/) and Prime95 (http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html). Then, run a large FFTS stress test on Prime95 for a couple hours, looking at CoreTemp to determine max temperatures. Keep in mind that when OC'ing, you want to keep your core temperatures under about 70C.

I would, however, recommend getting an aftermarket cooler if you really want to OC. I personally use the Scythe Mugen 2. At stock, I got around 50C Max temperatures, which is really good, and now at 3.37GHz, I get between 54-58C max temperatures, so I still have lots of room to go. Installing additional fans, as you suggested, could also potentially decrease temperatures.

As far as COD: Black Ops is concerned, overclocking may help a little, but keep in mind that the game is hardly optimized for PC. Depending on your rig, you may get lag spikes, or the game might crash. As for my personal experience, though, the game itself works fine, with a few glitches. For example, the game is choppy during certain cutscenes, and there is lag for a few seconds after a level has loaded, but I then can play very smoothly. I would just wait for the patch. Any rig built in the last 5 years should be able to handle this game fine but cannot since it is buggy, and upgrading will not help much.

EDIT- Also, you should be able to find some OC'ing guides on the internet. Keep in mind that you should be slow and cautious, and not change things too extremely right away.

but....
on the yougamers.com, it says that my processor is under the minimum reqiurement of the COD black ops and bad company 2....
d u think this piece of crap runs kinda fast???
m
l
November 14, 2010 5:55:37 AM

i brought this crap on fall of 2006...
and its nearly 4 years old....
m
l
November 14, 2010 6:15:41 AM

Yes, but the xbox360 is also about 5 years old, and can play the game fine. If there are other games, like Crysis, that you are also interested in, I would recommend a hardware upgrade, but not only for Black Ops.

EDIT- Or, I suppose, if you are not really on a budget.
m
l
November 14, 2010 6:18:26 AM

so...
u mean that upgrade a processor with quad core doesnt help much with the framerate??
m
l
November 14, 2010 6:26:25 AM

Well, if there were no bugs, I would definitely say quad core could help with the framerate. Like I said, my quad core computer runs the game very well, but still not without some glitches. Some users are having far worse problems, and they have a quad core.

So see if a patch comes soon, and it might improve the framerate. But if not, and you have some cash, consider getting a quad core to OC. (Or you could get a aftermarket cooler and OC your rig first, and see if that helps).
m
l
November 14, 2010 6:42:00 AM

ergh...
thn, d u think my current CPU would bottleneck my FRameRATE now??
and...d u think my rig would be able to play games like crysis and GTA 4 on low-medium spec?
m
l
November 14, 2010 6:49:54 AM

You could probably get a higher framerate on most games if you OC'd your current CPU, but I am not certain.

I am pretty sure your rig could handle Crysis at low-spec at least. I heard the game scales down well. Maybe you can find a demo to test? I am not sure about GTA 4, by the way.

EDIT-Looks like there is a demo right here: http://www.crysisdemo.com/download.htm
m
l
November 14, 2010 6:54:05 AM

thanks....lastly....d u think tht if i upgrade my cpu to intel core 2 quad q9550....how long can i use this chip for gaming???i mean at fast speed...
m
l
November 14, 2010 7:09:09 AM

I would have to say quad core will be fine for a while. Actually, many games today run fine on dual cores, but as always, upgrading is better. If you are considering system upgrades, though, you might want to consider a new GPU as well, since they are equally important in gaming. And make sure that you have enough power supply for your upgraded system.

If it helps at all, here are my specs, which I think will be good for quite a while:

CPU- Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz (OC'd) LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

MOBO- ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

HDD- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

GPU- [SLI] EVGA 768-P3-1362-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU- CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

CASE- Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HSF- Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste- ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound

ODD- Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM

m
l
November 14, 2010 7:28:06 AM

kerryking said:
I would have to say quad core will be fine for a while. Actually, many games today run fine on dual cores, but as always, upgrading is better. If you are considering system upgrades, though, you might want to consider a new GPU as well, since they are equally important in gaming. And make sure that you have enough power supply for your upgraded system.

If it helps at all, here are my specs, which I think will be good for quite a while:

CPU- Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz (OC'd) LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

MOBO- ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

HDD- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

GPU- [SLI] EVGA 768-P3-1362-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU- CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

CASE- Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HSF- Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste- ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound

ODD- Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM

what d u mean by "fine for a while"???
2 years or 3 years???
i mean tht if i buy tht, im going to use tht chip for gaming for the next 4 years...
is it possible??
m
l
November 14, 2010 7:38:48 AM

I am hesitant to say exactly how long, but I would imagine at least 2-3 years, if not more. It really depends on your pesonal preferences I would imagine, and of course what games you play. So I would recommend a quad core, possibly a new gpu sometime in the future, and a sufficient power supply.

By the way, I would doubt if many PC games would be needing more than 4 cores in a few years. The console market seems like it is slowing things down a little bit for us right now.
m
l
November 14, 2010 7:57:10 AM

thanks!!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 14, 2010 8:00:00 AM

Q 9550 will be fine for many yeas of gaming especially oced.
Btw, I noticed you got another post-
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262981-29-need-overcl...

where i suggested you might want an upgrade to enjoy the games of nowadays.
You will have to upgrade your cpu, and power supply if you want a better gpu.
m
l
!