Coolermaster Hyper 212+ or Corsair H50

has22fas

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Hey right,
Well my rig has been up for about a week now and i think its time i did some overclocking not that the stock performance is slow or anything but ye. Anyways i recently bumped my cpu to 3.2Ghz from 2.93Ghz. And i noticed a 10c increase without no volt increase. My current temps are Idle: 55C Load: 90C.. if i disable HT i get 75C load, but decrease in performance. Trouble is i cant OC passed 3.2 i hit the 100c and the computer turns off...so ive decided to invest into a cooler that will allow me to hit 4Ghz. And that will fit into a NZXT M59 case and mount on a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 motherboard without touching the Heatsink or ram. Now the corsair h50 costs 3x the price of the Coolermaster but also i dont have to worry about the space it takes. The coolermaster i will have in a push/pull configuration. Two Coolermaster LED fans mounted on it. Not sure it will fit though, also which would give better performance?

Thanks in advance.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
H50 is a better performer between the two but you haven't specified what cpu you have... i reckon from your clock speed it could be i5 760 whose turbo clock is 2.93 ghz... if it is i5 then the hyper 212+ would be the wise choice for its performance/price over the H50... its not a huge cooler so should fit with enough clearance... check the installation pics on a similar board

http://www.pureoverclock.com/images/review/cooling/coolermaster_hyper212plus/coolermaster_hyper212plus_11.jpg
http://www.pureoverclock.com/images/review/cooling/coolermaster_hyper212plus/coolermaster_hyper212plus_12.jpg

has22fas

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

Thanks for the reply, nice guess but it aint the i5 760 im afraid its the i7 870 which turbo is 3.6Ghz . Im worried about the heatsink touching the Northbridge heatsink the boards uve showen me dont have a big northbridge heatsink like this 1.

http://overclockers.co.uk/pimg/MB-203-GI_400.jpg

If Asetek has had anything what so ever to do with the manufacturing of the H50 or H70, [and they have], I wouldn't touch it with a 500' pole.

Corsair will end up getting bit in the rear from aligning themselves with Asetek, just wait and see!

I had 3 Asetek water pumps fail, my confidence in any Asetek products is ABSOLUTE ZERO!

But it is your money!

Spend it however you want!

has22fas

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

A friend that opened a computer shop offered me a corsair h50 for $35 and a hyper for $16 so i thought what the heck.

Man if you can get a Hyper 212+ for $16, that's a No Brainer, go for it!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yeah, avoid the H50. The H70 is a 'little' better, but only with good fans in push/pull. For the price, the 212+ is a great deal...and will perform (on average,) as good/better than an H50 in many cases. Just ensure you have good case airflow.

goalguy876

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Get the hyper212. I recently bought one and love it. My CPU temps idle at 22C and under load at 33C at 3.6GHz. The room does stay pretty cold but it's a great cooler.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Saint had a good point; if they are that cheap, get them both, make your own decision then sell the other on Ebay or Craigslist.

But, I have read a lot of horror stories about the H50's and they are worth more than the number of satisfied users...I simply assume the majority of happy people may not necessarily know what's best for them and were uninformed consumers.