lovesnsd

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Well my sister called me that her desktop from gateway did not start (after pushing on the led light up and fans run but in 5-10 sec it turns off). i ask her wat she did or some thing happen and she said this
1. Her case fan(rear only 1 in case) did not work as i found out the plug was out
2. she said the computer overheated as i belive its case fan not working and 24/7 of turning her computer
3. she had taken off her cpu heatsink to take off dust and did not put new thermal paste as she put it back with the old thermal paste which should be dried and old as its about 2years old
4. she touch the cpu bottem when her hand
5. after not turning off she try to start by pushing the start like 10time

wat do you think is the problem
1. i belive its the thermal paste. the old thermal paste overheated the cpu so it did not work as i heard this in inbox as albert had mail about cleaning and not changing the thermal paste like my sis and he said problem is thermal paste
2. the cpu got killed by touching the bottem or static or over heat
3. mother bored like cpu was dead cause of the heat of no fan or static again
4. PSU (i dont belive its psu but it can be but i think if it is psu it sould not even start for that 5-10 sec)
5. other (who knows cheap set, cable problem, HDD, and so on)

specs (computertv review this computer in pentium d 2.8ghz model gateway gt 5404) this one is gt 5428
pentium d 3.2ghz
1gb ram 533
300w psu
intel mother bored with onbored grapics and micro atx
250gb 7200prm hdd
coolmaster heatsink with a duct attached

I would start with the cpu heatsink; clean the cpu with isopropyl alcohol or fingernail polish remover (acetate), and apply any thermal paste. Even the radio shack stuff is ok; just don't overdo it. A single drop of paste in the center will work fine. Then I would check for a cmos jumper on the motherboard. With the system turned off, move the jumper pin over one position, so 2 out of 3 pins are covered. Then return it to the original position. Try powering up. If your system won't post, then I would try a different power supply. If your system is still not working, you may be able to change out the motherboard or cpu. I usually change both together if possible, as either one could be bad. If you change to a non gateway board, you may have to reinstall windows (do a repair or format and start over).

lovesnsd

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009

thanks ill try tat tomorrow when i go buy a thermal paste

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I would tell its possibly DEAD cause of the overheat.

a NON ventiled case + a cpu running 24/7 = DEAD PARTS

My aquarium build ( htpc ) that is not yet under oil submersion gets VERY hot cause of the non ventilation of the aquarium + the top that is nearly sealed. IM currintly using this computer to write this, the top of the aquarium is "cracked" to let the air come in and out. I have a 120mm fan on the bottom that push air to the top so hot air is comming out a lil bit.

TEMP : 41c while im typing this. If i lets this exact same CPU on "free air" : 30c
ROOM : 26c

Running 24/7 witout any air going in/out of the case = HIGHER temp then those....

lovesnsd

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009

is it cause it work fine till taking off the heatsink and its not all 24/7 but u know runing 2-3 day in a row but it is set to go to sleep mode in few min so like half of tat time it was in sleep mode