For a mini photography lab, which card?

pepokun

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2003
Hi
I am planning to build a computer but with specific requirements to make a mini photo laboratory, for this purpose i will buy a LCD Monitor with wide gamut to reproduce more color, like a CRT monitor; obviously i will buy a photo printer and the calibration hardware and software to get what you see, what you print :) .
But i have a doubt in which card to buy considering using photoshop, DxOptics and similar apps:

a card based on a Quadro chip

or

a card based on a GeForce ship

May be if possible i would like to use for gaming :D , but i am not sure if i need to mix cards or build separate computers, or simply i can use the GeForce for the photo lab in one partition and the gaming in another partition.

Thanks in advance and best wishes
Luis

ppot

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
What do you mean partition the card? Also Quadro cards are for workstations with extreme graphic decoding enviroments, the Geforce chips are for gaming but it'll do this picture stuff too. So it depends how much you game.

steckman

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Don't waste your money on a Quadro card. Quadro cards are intended for high-end 3D modeling, and photographs are only 2D. Go with an inexpensive GeForce (or Radeon) chip.

pepokun

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2003

Sorry, I mean the hard disk, in my current configuration i have three win XP partitions, one for the daily stuff, the second for TV recording only and other only for gaming with minimal software installed other than games for better performance.
I would like something similar, but now a new partition with only tools for photography processing.

Thnaks for the reply
Luis

ppot

pepokun

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2003

And, what about video editing, can i still use the GeForce chip?

I used GeForce and Radeon and i like more the nVidia control panel than the catalyst.

I read somewhere that Lenovo have a laptop for photography: W700 models, supposedly the big difference is the LCD with a wider gamut than traditional ones and a wacom tablet, but they designed the computer using a quadro chip, this is why i am asking.

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
No the Quadro chip is a waste of money for anyone that wants to game. It has absolutely no gaming qualities and is only made for business type scenarios. Get a Radeon chip if you want to do photography and such because they are better for 3D and editing. Those Geforce chips are for gaming and movie watching

pepokun

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2003

Thanks for the reply

But then the quadro chip is better for photography without gaming? then in the ATI side is better Fire Pro than HD4000 series?
Probably i won't spend much time gaming in the future, i am considering more important the photo editing and get the best possible accuracy in color. But sincerely i am not sure because the Lenovo approach to the photography oriented laptop using a quadro chip.

What about video editing, is the same case?

Thanks in advance and best wishes
Luis

P.S. Sorry for the inconveniences but i want to be sure to build the correct system

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Its fine, the Quadro is like a business GPU for word editing and intensive 3D processing like AutoCad or Google Sketchup. I do not know if it is good for photo editing tho. Go with ATI just to be safe.