Sign in with
Your question

Does anyone here know what they are talking about? Any techies?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 4, 2009 4:54:04 AM

Does anyone here know what they are talking about? Any techies?

Not trying to be a jerk, but I previously posted a question (twice) and all I have gotten are responses that either a) tell me to do what I stated I have already tried to do, or b) give me a self-indulgent epiphany on computer systems and terminology.

I would greatly appreciate any focused and objective help regarding the following:

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-S360 and just replaced the hard drive. When I try to install the operating system I get the message "invalid system disk." I have tried to access BIOS with no luck. It is a Phoenix BIOS and from doing an internet search it appears the key to access is either F1, F2, or F3. I have tried each with no success. I have also tried esc, del, etc. Is there something I am not doing, or need to do, after installing the hard drive to allow access to the BIOS?

More about : talking techies

a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2009 5:03:20 AM

The replacement drive has to be formatted first. Then install the operating system. However, it looks like you have another problem. According to the Sony online FAQ, hard drive replacement and upgrades in the notebook computer are not supported. If the hard drive needs service, repair should be done by an authorized Sony® service center.

I just went to the Sony web site and took a look at the owner's manual. Use F2 immediately upon starting the computer to enter the BIOS.
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2009 5:14:02 AM

The hard drive won't keep you from accessing the bios, or it shouldn't. The Power On Self Test screen should be the first thing you see after powering on your machine. At this point, it should be testing the memory and looking to see what drives are attached. This is when you should be able to enter the bios. I've seen tab, f8, or any number of other options to enter bios. Del and esc are common.

The hard drive is usually accessed right after the POST is finished, unless the system has been configured to access another drive first. (cd rom, floppy, etc)

We will need to have more info to help.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2009 5:17:22 AM

invalid system disc means the disc is not formatted, or it isn't bootable, or its fubar.

Try f11 to access the boot menu to get it to boot from cdrom.
September 4, 2009 12:56:21 PM

Anything from F1 to F8 could be the key for your bios, the trick is to keep tapping the key repeatedly from the moment you push the power button until you see a bios screen.

The Hard drive problem is completely separate: you have to format it first, with the NTFS filesystem, for windows, this is done automatically when you install Vista on the disk, when installing XP it's done automatically as well, except it will ask for confirmation at one stage during the installation.
September 4, 2009 12:59:59 PM

If you don't plan on installing XP or Vista use gparted, if that doesn't work your hard drive is toast.
!