Usb cord trouble

drewds99

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Hi. I currently am trying to power my cell phone through a solar charger. I have to connect a cord to a female Type A usb cord(with a white part on the inside on the end of the cord). When I attach a male Type A usb cord (with a black part on the inside of the end of the cord), my phone does not charge. I know that the solar charger does not have a defect because when I attach a different phone usb cord (that has a white part on the end of the inside of the cord), the other phone charges. I think it has to do with the colors of the inside of the usb cords. Please help me solve this problem. Thanks in advance!

2flow

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
My understanding is that you have 2 USB cords. First cord is white colored and does not work. Second cord is black and works. I think you just solved your problem. Use the black cord.

drewds99

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009

the problem is that i have to use the white cord as the female cord, and i only have a black male cord

Mondoman

Splendid
d - I haven't heard of different colors meaning that there is an electrical difference on USB cords. However, different cell phones require different voltages for charging, so it may be that your solar charger supplies the right voltage for one phone but not for the other.

You can test whether the conductors in your USB cables are OK by using an inexpensive multimeter; you can also use the multimeter to measure the voltage that the solar charger is putting out, and compare that with the requirements for your different cell phones.