Sign in with
Your question

Worth Getting a GTX 295 w/ Dual Quad Core 2.8?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Quad Core
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 13, 2009 6:01:12 AM

Hello everybody,

I just got back into gaming and computers and I am at a lost to the new stuff that is on the market. It seems like a whole new language with all the dual cores, quad cores, phenom, xeon, extremes,qXXXX... and so on. Last I remember were the pentium chips.

I currently have a computer with these specs:

Processor: Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeo
Memory: 4GB (4x1GB)

I just bought a gtx 285 and although it was a huge improvement from my other card it still lacked the jawdropping visuals and frame rates I wanted out of games like Crysis. So my main question is that is it worth getting a gtx 295 with my setup? i can return my gtx 285 for a full refund.

Will my processor severly limit the gpu? or should i just stick the 285.

Would I get more fps upgrading my cpu's?

Thanks.

P.S. Is there a reason why XP only shows I have 2 GB of memory in system information?

More about : worth gtx 295 dual quad core

April 13, 2009 6:09:12 AM

Do you have the ability to sli?
April 13, 2009 6:17:41 AM

If you already own a GTX 285, replacing it with a GTX 295 would be a pretty big waste of money. Although I have to ask.......im assuming you are using a Skulltrail system, if so then....im sorry.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2009 6:21:50 AM

A GTX295 is two GTX260s overclocked.

A GTX285 is a GTX280 overclocked.

A GTX280 outperforms the GTX260...but 2xGTX260s will outperform a single GTX280.
However, the performance gain won't be huge so don't bother getting a GTX295 since it'll be a waste of money.
April 13, 2009 6:34:59 AM

spathotan said:
If you already own a GTX 285, replacing it with a GTX 295 would be a pretty big waste of money. Although I have to ask.......im assuming you are using a Skulltrail system, if so then....im sorry.

what is a skulltrain system? I am running an early 2008 mac pro. Reason I am asking is that i can return the gtx 285 for a full refund and get a 295 for 200 dollars more but it seems that you guys are all in unison that the 295 is not worth the money.

Are my processors any good or do they suck and are they limiting my gpu?
April 13, 2009 6:55:41 AM

...these cards work in macs? :heink: 

Either way, I dont think its worth the money.
a c 107 U Graphics card
April 13, 2009 6:59:53 AM

I see, so you're not running skullrail

Anyway if you can get all your money back then you may as well. Basically a 295 is two downclocked 275s SLI'd together in one dual PCB card. If you're motherboard supported SLI then you would be better off getting another 280, but since it doesn't a 295 will be an improvement. Still, Crysis will stress just about any system, so don't expect to run it at something like 1900x1200 with full AA and AF and still expect to always get good frame rates. Even though NVIDIA drivers are now more optomized for multiple cores, they will still suffer somewhat on your system due to the CPU architecture in comparison to an i7 system. Of course, it's not really a fair comparison since Mac Pros are meant for work, not windows games.

Even though I say that I still dislike macs :p 
a c 107 U Graphics card
April 13, 2009 7:02:22 AM

Really instead of spending money on a Mac if you want to play PC games then build a PC for it :D 
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2009 7:10:52 AM

Easiest way to test if the CPU(s) is(are) bottle-necking your system is to run a game and record the framerates. (You can use Fraps or try to remember them at key points. Game demos that do it for you would be easier.) Exit the game, reduce your resolution, and run the same exact portion of the game (or the same demo) again. If the framerates stay the same at the reduced resolution, you have a CPU bottleneck. If they go up, the GPU is giving you more frames, making it the "bottle-neck" (or cap) in that case.
April 13, 2009 7:20:48 AM

RazberyBandit said:
Easiest way to test if the CPU(s) is(are) bottle-necking your system is to run a game and record the framerates. (You can use Fraps or try to remember them at key points. Game demos that do it for you would be easier.) Exit the game, reduce your resolution, and run the same exact portion of the game (or the same demo) again. If the framerates stay the same at the reduced resolution, you have a CPU bottleneck. If they go up, the GPU is giving you more frames, making it the "bottle-neck" (or cap) in that case.

FRAPS does not work with mac os.

To the op , are you running a dual boot with windows?
April 13, 2009 7:25:31 AM

You can only run an aftermarket video card in windows, so yes I am dual booting. I will try the technique mentioned above. thanks to the responders.

April 13, 2009 7:27:59 AM

megamanx00 said:
Really instead of spending money on a Mac if you want to play PC games then build a PC for it :D 

Isn't it a big difference between buying a video card vs. buying a whole new system?

If I were to do it all over again I would have probably went for a pc due to Mac's limitations. But my first priority was for work and gaming a distant second so it made sense at the time. Yet PC's have pretty much caught up to mac's in my industry though. Anyone who wants to upgrade their hardware or play games shouldn't buy a mac.
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2009 7:42:56 AM

chef7734 said:
FRAPS does not work with mac os.

To the op , are you running a dual boot with windows?

He mentioned questions about his RAM count in XP, so he's gotta be dual-booting. That or he dumped OSX in favor of Windows, which I highly doubt. :) 
April 13, 2009 7:44:13 AM

Yeah skipped over the p.s. Sorry about that.
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2009 10:50:45 AM

Another thing you can do when benchmarking graphics (without FPS monitoring demos or Fraps) is to actually monitor the CPU load, which you can easily do in Task Manager. Just run a game for a bit, then either quit or Alt+Tab out and take a look at the CPU load. If the history shows the system at or near 100% usage over the entire time frame, then they're almost assuredly bottle-necking the system.

I recently tested my system with Egosoft's new X3: Terran Conflict Rolling Demo in benchmark mode and was surprised to see my CPU only in the ~50% usage range, with the fan never once spinning up to increase cooling (stayed at 41C). Neither core was being taxed too badly at all. Considering the fact that I only have an Athlon X2 5000+ Black Edition OC'd to 3.2GHz, that game doesn't seem too CPU intensive. It should test your graphics card itself pretty well, especially with "eye-candy" enabled.

You should do a search for HardOC's Crysis Benchmark utility and try it out, since you've got Crysis. There's a Warhead version, too, in case it's Crysis Warhead you purchased.
April 13, 2009 11:50:04 AM

Make sure you have downloaded all patches for Crysis.

I'm running a dual core at about 2.8 ghz, and using a 4870. I have all my settings in crysis set to high or very high (most on very high) at 1680x1050 (no AA or AF) and am pleased with the performance. Smooth after the first minute of loading a level.

As for your RAM count in XP it's most likely that you are using a 32 bit version of XP, which can only address 4gb of memory all together (including graphics card and other system memory). You need 64bit windows to read larger amounts of memory.
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2009 12:25:44 PM

Oh yeah... about the RAM issue... Heh.

32-bit OS, 4 gigs installed. You've got a 1GB video card, right? Yeah, 285... Windows will actually reserve the same amount of system memory as the amount on your video card, making it unavailable to the system. If it's reporting somewhere between 2 and 2.75GB, that's normal.

If you're in the mood to try a 64-bit OS, try downloading Windows 7 64-bit beta.
April 13, 2009 2:49:34 PM

MS isnt offering downloads for beta anymore. Not to mention he would need a key.
April 13, 2009 2:55:19 PM

Brianindigital said:
what is a skulltrain system? I am running an early 2008 mac pro. Reason I am asking is that i can return the gtx 285 for a full refund and get a 295 for 200 dollars more but it seems that you guys are all in unison that the 295 is not worth the money.

Are my processors any good or do they suck and are they limiting my gpu?

XP 32 will only see 2GB RAM or so....

Also, the Xeons are NOT meant for gaming, and they SUCK at it. At gaming, they're equivalent to like..... A 3.2GHz Dual Core. Good, but not what you'd think it'd be.

A GTX 285 should be able to play Crysis with every setting (Except the AA) at 100% or near, and still sustain Frame rates of over 30 FPS.
April 13, 2009 6:16:22 PM

One last thing, I basically have 25 more days to return my video card if I want to get the gtx 295. What's the possibility that the price of the card will go down or rebate will be offered by then?
April 13, 2009 8:09:55 PM

Also, if i were to run an external power supply will a 450 watt be sufficient for the gtx 295?
!