Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Mobo/Triple Core, will my old OEM XP still work?

Last response: in CPUs
June 23, 2009 5:55:20 AM

Hello ya'll,

I am thinking about purchasing an ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail, and an AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX - Retail and dropping them into my few-years-old HP. My question is, will my version of XP (OEM Home Edition Version 2000 SP3)(i don't really want Vista, i have it on 2 other boxes, and am not a fan) still work with these major hardware changes? (I know i'd need the proper AMD multicore driver). Needless to say, i am hoping to avoid purchasing another copy of XP, which technically i feel i shouldn't have to do since i already own this one, in this particular computer. Am i barking up the wrong tree entirely, or can i make this work ?

Also, i read conflicting information regarding the maximum amount of memory XP can address...with some saying up to 8GB but only 2 GB/slot (necessitating 4 2GB slots) ((minus video card memory)). I would be quite happy with XP running 3-4 gigs. Anyone have a concise answer?

Annnd, if i do have to buy a new Windows disk...would XP 64, or Vista installed via vLite be a better option? (I don't know much about vLite, but it sounds like it chops the bloat out of Vista...any info appreciated!)

One last question...can anyone inform me about system-builder versions of Windows?

Thanks in advance
June 23, 2009 6:03:00 AM

Quote:
The drivers will all be incorrect unless you reinstall windows. You do know you can get XP on certain sites online for free right?

Yeah, i actually have an old XP professional "trial" version that i have "occasionally" used for "evaluation purposes", but i was under the impression that in using it, i wouldn't be able to do all the necessary driver updates etc.
June 23, 2009 12:36:01 PM

SonOfCain said:
Hello ya'll,

I am thinking about purchasing an ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail, and an AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX - Retail and dropping them into my few-years-old HP. My question is, will my version of XP (OEM Home Edition Version 2000 SP3)(i don't really want Vista, i have it on 2 other boxes, and am not a fan) still work with these major hardware changes? (I know i'd need the proper AMD multicore driver). Needless to say, i am hoping to avoid purchasing another copy of XP, which technically i feel i shouldn't have to do since i already own this one, in this particular computer. Am i barking up the wrong tree entirely, or can i make this work ?

Also, i read conflicting information regarding the maximum amount of memory XP can address...with some saying up to 8GB but only 2 GB/slot (necessitating 4 2GB slots) ((minus video card memory)). I would be quite happy with XP running 3-4 gigs. Anyone have a concise answer?

Annnd, if i do have to buy a new Windows disk...would XP 64, or Vista installed via vLite be a better option? (I don't know much about vLite, but it sounds like it chops the bloat out of Vista...any info appreciated!)

One last question...can anyone inform me about system-builder versions of Windows?

Thanks in advance

Annnnyone?

:bounce: 
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 23, 2009 7:30:58 PM

The ram limit isn't just xp, it's a limit for 32bit systems. Regardless of OS, if it's 32bit it can only address a maximum of 4Gb of memory but the video cards and some other things subtract from that, not just system memory.

Normally you could technically get away with swapping the hardware out without reinstalling Xp, it usually works to manually change the drivers yourself, but sometimes your still left with a buggy install requiring a full reinstall of Xp. However OEM manufacturers like HP, tend to tie their install of an OS directly to that machine, making it impossible to change out most hardware without purchasing a new OS.

Odds are you need a fresh install of Xp, you might get by without it, but not likely.
June 23, 2009 8:52:48 PM

Thanks Loneninja and PsychoSays, for your replies..and general apologies for asking a buncha questions that would have been better suited for the software forums...new here, finding my way around...
June 23, 2009 10:38:56 PM

Your XP licence is still good, the potential issue stems from the HP provided installation media.

Give it a try, and if the install CD doesnt work, see if a friend has an unsecured copy, or if all else fails, look for a torrent.
June 24, 2009 12:31:21 AM

Yeah, let's all encourage everyone to steal. Most of you are nothing but a bunch of crooks.
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2009 12:47:34 AM

he didnt mean steal, he meant download a copy that works with his key.
June 24, 2009 1:02:23 AM

rockford said:
Yeah, let's all encourage everyone to steal. Most of you are nothing but a bunch of crooks.

You sir are an idiot.

I didn't tell him to steal anything. He has a bought and paid for license, all he requires is installation media. There is no theft involved.
June 24, 2009 1:17:25 AM

rockford said:

I've bought 9x, 2000, and XP each several times over, Vista 3 times and counting, and i'll buy 7 multiple times, i imagine. I'm sure as hell not inclined to shell out more money to replace any of them in the systems i already bought them once for. Cry me a river, Bill Gates...?

Who are the crooks here? Microsoft in this case, i'd say (with the OEMs a bit guilty as well). They certainly don't make it easy to continue use of the OS one pays for. You could argue that since i am replacing the board and cpu, it is no longer the same computer..but, then you'd be, well...sounding an awful lot like you buy into MS's BS a little too much. The simple fact is, i bought a version of XP...it is mine, and will remain mine for as long as i choose. I didn't rent it. If MS makes it nearly impossible for me to continue to use it, i wouldn't consider it stealing to find an alternative method to continue to use the product i paid for.

June 25, 2009 12:16:49 AM

Yeah, download a copy from a torrent that works with his key. Sounds like a theft. The OEM copy that came with his original HP machine is tied to that HP mobo; it won't legally (or probably actually) work with anything other mobo. Most of you haven't read your EULA or have intentionally violated it.

I liked the comment from the other idiot that I'M an idiot. I appreciate it. My legally-purchased software costs more thanks to you thieves.

Oh well, what's the difference. We'll all be dead in a hundred years anyway. :sarcastic: 
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2009 12:40:58 AM

what you dont seem to grasp, it you are purchasing the license. The key will definitely both legally and actually work with the correct version of the software.
June 25, 2009 1:01:55 AM

rockford said:
The OEM copy that came with his original HP machine is tied to that HP mobo; it won't legally (or probably actually) work with anything other mobo.

Not at all. I've changed my motherboard/CPU three or four times since I bought my PC with OEM XP on it. I never had any problems with activating it, the only difference is I have to give Microsoft a ring every time for the activation key when I want to reinstall XP. That really pisses me off, although the call is toll-free. Since they give me the key I don't think I'm breaking the law.
July 2, 2011 3:08:28 PM

loneninja said:
The ram limit isn't just xp, it's a limit for 32bit systems. Regardless of OS, if it's 32bit it can only address a maximum of 4Gb of memory but the video cards and some other things subtract from that, not just system memory.

I know it's an old thread but Google never forgets and I was send here by Google...

What I've quoted is just not true. Only desktop versions of 32-bit Windows have this limitation for sure. Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Datacenter Server can address more than 4GiB of memory.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg4875...

Linux and Unix do not have that limitation either.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 2, 2011 4:25:49 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!