Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS Xonar Essence STX not working in Vista

Last response: in Components
June 23, 2009 8:53:15 AM

My new hard drive arrived yesterday. I installed vista and started to install all my drivers. When I got to the soundcard, all was fine until I rebooted and ran the sound centre thing.
If I changed from '2 speakers' to 'headphones' (needed for me to hear anything), it'd say the program encountered and error and needed to close. It still does this unless I run it under compatibility for XP.
Anyway, I've uninstalled, reinstalled countless times, and obviously disabled onboard audio.
Apparently it's installed fine, but not, at the same time. Like this:

If I play music, it doesn't play. As in, it looks as if it's paused/stopped.
I don't understand.
It's currently uninstalled. I really need to get this working in vista. I don't want to have upgraded to vista and spent £200> on this sound card and headphones only to have to roll back to XP to get it working again.
June 23, 2009 12:08:25 PM

Hmm...no reason for XP compatability, as the drivers are fully Vista compliant. (Heck, thats probably the reason for the crash).

Re-install the driver package, making sure NEVER to use compatability mode for anything driver related. Remember to use the 64-bit version if you use 64-bit Vista.

On a side note: Theres no reason why 2 speakers won't output to the headphones if the headphones are plugged in properly (sound may not be optimized for headphone use, but a good tool for testing purposes).
m
l
June 23, 2009 3:13:53 PM

I meant the audio centre crashed unless I used it in compatibility for XP, in which case it worked.
Also, headphones and 2 speakers are two seperate ports on this card. I think. It didn't work before anyway.
ANYWAY. After hours of installing updates for vista and a few reboots (hundreds), it mysteriously decided to work. I have no idea which update fixed it, but I'm now a happy man.
m
l

Best solution

June 23, 2009 4:26:32 PM

Always, always, do Vista updates first. I found they have a nasty tendency to make things work better...
!