ASUS Xonar Essence STX not working in Vista

bawwwvista

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
My new hard drive arrived yesterday. I installed vista and started to install all my drivers. When I got to the soundcard, all was fine until I rebooted and ran the sound centre thing.
If I changed from '2 speakers' to 'headphones' (needed for me to hear anything), it'd say the program encountered and error and needed to close. It still does this unless I run it under compatibility for XP.
Anyway, I've uninstalled, reinstalled countless times, and obviously disabled onboard audio.
Apparently it's installed fine, but not, at the same time. Like this:
WATT.jpg

If I play music, it doesn't play. As in, it looks as if it's paused/stopped.
I don't understand.
It's currently uninstalled. I really need to get this working in vista. I don't want to have upgraded to vista and spent £200> on this sound card and headphones only to have to roll back to XP to get it working again.

Hmm...no reason for XP compatability, as the drivers are fully Vista compliant. (Heck, thats probably the reason for the crash).

Re-install the driver package, making sure NEVER to use compatability mode for anything driver related. Remember to use the 64-bit version if you use 64-bit Vista.

On a side note: Theres no reason why 2 speakers won't output to the headphones if the headphones are plugged in properly (sound may not be optimized for headphone use, but a good tool for testing purposes).

bawwwvista

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I meant the audio centre crashed unless I used it in compatibility for XP, in which case it worked.
Also, headphones and 2 speakers are two seperate ports on this card. I think. It didn't work before anyway.
ANYWAY. After hours of installing updates for vista and a few reboots (hundreds), it mysteriously decided to work. I have no idea which update fixed it, but I'm now a happy man.