50C on AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ overclocked.

OK so i have a HP Pavillion M7750N Media Center PC (desktop), with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (Windsor) cpu 2.6 GHz overclocked to 2.7 GHz on a A8M2N-LA (NodusM3) motherboard. I'm getting temps of 39-40C idle and 50C under stress (Prime95 Stress Test). Is this in the normal range or is it too hot? Thanks!
15 answers Last reply
More about athlon 5000 overclocked
  1. Nvm. Got a blue screen 2 hours into Prime95 Stress Test. Reset CPU speed to 2.6 GHz. Should I try again or should I not risk it, because I need this computer for work?
  2. So you're saying that the extra 100 MHz isn't worth it (especially as this computer is my primary work computer). I'm only overclocking becuase I do some gaming on the weekends. So I won't see a noticable framerate increase? Oh and it is an HP OEM PC Pavillion m7750n media center pc
  3. OK. I have a 300 Watt power supply (stock), and an integrated GeForce 6150LE (stock core clock: 425 MHz), overclocked to 525 MHz with EVGA Percision, memory clock: 533 MHz (same as System RAM and I have DDR2- PC 4200 (533 MHz) RAM)). I only plan to do light gaming (eg. FS2004 Max Settings) on weekends, so that is why I'm not planning to buy new CPU. So what I'm asking is if that 100MHz CPU overclock (using NVIDIA Control Panel- no settings in BIOS) will give me a noticable improvement in performance? I heard that software cpu overclocking is crap. And do you have any idea why a blue screen happened 4 hours into Prime95 Test when I overclocked from stock (2.6 GHz) to 2.7 GHz? It doesn't seem to be the CPU overheating (temps after overclock was peaking at 51 C). Could it be that the DRAM frequency went from 260 MHz to 270MHz (past the 266 MHz limit of the RAM?).

In this case, would overclocking my CPU 50 MHz instead to 2.65 GHz prove more stable (and does it give any framerate boosts), as my FSB: DRAM ratio according to CPU-Z is "CPU/10", meaning that if my CPU is at 2.65 GHz, my DRAM speed would be at 265 MHz (and below the 266 MHz limit)?

Note that I will not be increasing ANY voltages. Thanks!

Here are my CPU-Z stats:

Thanks!
  4. But would I see a FPS imporvement if I overclocked CPU 50 MHz? Because as you see, the DRAM Frequency is at 260 MHz, but my memory is supposed to be at 266 MHz and so I want to get the most out of it without increasing voltages. Thanks!
  5. What software should I use. I have an HP m7750n Media Center PC (desktop), with an A8M2N-LA (NodusM3) motherboard. I would use NVIDIA Control Panel (with NVIDIA System Software installed), but since I'm already using EVGA Percision to overclock my GPU, I'm afraid that the two will conflict.
  6. To overclock your processor, use BIOS. Do not use any software to overclock as those programs can cause great instability.
  7. Guess I wont be overclocking then. I used NVIDIA Control Panel to push CPU from 2.6 GHz to 2.7 GHz without a voltage increase, and my system got yellow lines and shut down after 4 hours of Prime95 stress Testing.
  8. So you're suggesting that with the limited options for overclocking my CPU that I have now and my casual gaming, that I would do better just to leave it at stock speeds to sustain it's lifespan? In other words, I should NOT overclock it?
  9. Thanks! Now I gotta repress the urge to download Ntune and just push CPU clock to 3 GHz lol =)
  10. Best answer selected by gert21445.
  11. Thanks for your help! =)
  12. Thanks, I'll look into the first option. Seems pretty reasonable price-wise. Guess I'll have to stick with my 2.6 GHz cpu until Christimas.
  13. I have a 6000+ x2, am2, windsor. It runs 1.4V to get 3.0ghz, it came with a heatpipe cooler. I ran about 55C under load at stock speeds. I put even bigger arctic 64 cooler on it, while its much quieter, it still runs around 52-55C under load.
    The windsor is a 90nm chip with 2mb cache, they do use 135 watts at 3.2ghz, 1.425V.
    I doubt yours is binned good enough to reach 3.2ghz or 3.0ghz. If you have a non-heatpipe cooler then 2.6 at 1.3v is about max. If you have a heatpipe cooler make sure you put better paste than the oem stuff, that helped with my cpu.
    I have another windsor cpu, in my living room system, using the old 6000+ cooler on it, its a 939 X2-4400+ windsor, It runs 2.2ghz stock, I have it running stable at 2.54Ghz/ 1.445v, about 57C under load. It did test ok at 2.7 just the fan was too loud. If you want to overclock you have to increase the voltage to 1.425v, that chip likes it current.
    Be careful not to cook your p/s, they draw 135 watts when overclocked under full load. If you set the voltage to 1.425 and in the bios after rebooting it says in the bios you are getting only 1.36-1.38V you have a large VOLT-DROOP, you should not push the board over a 0.3 volt droop, some is acceptable, Don't go too much over that or you will cook the p/s or board's voltage regulators. Your overclock with that chip is basically limited by how much current you can feed it.
    Make sure you stay under 60c under full load.

I would try 1.4v to start out, also drop your ht bus from 1000 to 800, drop your memory to 667 from 800, the mem and ht bus follows the fsb with am2.
    increase the fsb speed untill it wont boot windows but still posts, then drop it by 10mhz fsb and test it out. Eg wont boot windows at 236fsb, drop it to 226 and test it.
  14. I noticed i made a error, you are running 533 mem, not 800, set it at 400.
    If you cant increase the voltage on that board then there is no real overclocking you can do with that board. Good luck.
  15. OK. So your saying that if I'm using OEM stock cooling with 1.306 V, and without increasing voltages, the highest that I can go is 2.6GHz? (Meaning that I cant overclock?)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Media Center Hewlett Packard AMD Overclocking