Wi-Fi connectivity

neCroManCer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Hi great fellows!
I hear about Wi-Fi 802.11, but I don't know a lots about that function. I want to ask you some questions about the Wi-Fi:
1. Is the Wi-Fi can used to surfing the net?
2. If yes, is it can to connect to the Internet with the IP of rental near me (using WaveLAN 128kbps)? How!
3. How big the transfer rate?
4. I hear, if the connection by using WaveLAN, the speed is unstable, is it right?
5. What hardware I need to connect to the net with Wi-fi connectivity?

Thank you about your explanation.
Sorry about bad in English.

Best regards,
neCroManCer

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1. yes (for the fact i am on the parking lot in my vehicle right now)
2. refraze the question
3. depends on the a, b, g version of it
4. what is WaveLAN
5. what hardware are you going to use for "plugging" the Wi-fi into (PC, laptop, tablet PC, Palm, etc)

you'r most welcome

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
WaveLAN is a product line, not a technology. Made originally by Lucent, now owned by Proxim.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Can't imagine given the thread.

<A HREF="http://support.proxim.com/cgi-bin/proxim.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?&p_lva=&p_li=&p_page=1&p_prod_lvl1=50&p_prod_lvl2=&p_cat_lvl1=&p_cat_lvl2=&p_search_text=&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=search_nl" target="_new">http://support.proxim.com/cgi-bin/proxim.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?&p_lva=&p_li=&p_page=1&p_prod_lvl1=50&p_prod_lvl2=&p_cat_lvl1=&p_cat_lvl2=&p_search_text=&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=search_nl</A>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hel, dude, read FAQ to find out how to put da linx into normal helpfool internet usefool underlined words.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Unfortunately that FAQ doesn't say anything about killfiles. Guess BBS's don't have em. Who knew Message Boards have trolls?

Ok blah, I'll get right on that. People in glass houses.....

neCroManCer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
WaveLAN and Wi-fi are it is different. In my city, the public internet rentals using WaveLAN connection (128 kbps). So it is different with Wi-Fi! So what is wi-fi (what for?). Is it used for wireless connectivity or connecting to the Internet or both of them? Plz explain thanks to all....

neCroManCer

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Could you post a link to anything referncing the equipment the city uses? Hard to imagine there would be a product, hardware or software, using a copyrighted name, which WaveLAN is.
Wi-Fi stands for wirless fidelity. I wouldn't get too caught up on that term. Wi-Fi compatible is a certification WECA uses to certify cross vendor usage between 802.11b and now 802.11g hardware. Just a catchphrase if you want to get to the nitty gritty about it. You can use it for internet connectivity. Wireless WAN's, or Wide Area Networks exist though it's not a particularly good solution. Only really needed when running cable is simply not an option. Rural areas etc..
Sounds like your 128K devices may be Geo-sync satellite. THat or severely throttled 802.11 hardware. I'd have to see it or at least read about it to tell.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
I think I'll take this, kwebb.

I've seen something like what he describes in this area. It was in the form of a small wireless modem that gave about 128k (supposedly..I didn'test it). It was linked to a radio-borne WAN, I guess. There had to be a central 'station' in the center of a coverage area that looked to be about a 30 mile radius circle. Rates were competitive with dialup ISP's and the only reason I didn't go for it was that there was no base station in my area. It all faded as soon as DSL and cable access becaome fairly widely available. The demonstration looked awfully good to someone stuck with dialup at 56k.

But, it was in no way compatable with any modern Wi-Fi equipment. The spectrum used was different, too. I guess if other (faster) forms of broadband hadn't come along, it could have taken off.

To answer the question, yes, Wi-Fi can be for connecting to the Internet or for using 'in-house' for a private network. It wouldn't do you any good at all for connecting to the Internet, if WaveLAN is the only thing faster than dialup in your area. On the other hand, if there's broadband access available, then Wi-Fi can very useful.

<font color=green>===</font color=green> Never assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>====</font color=green>