Strange menu behavior - need good advice

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

We have a customer with a client application made by Avaya. It is a
softphone and it has a button which brings up a small menu with things like
minimise, exit, log off, etc.
What should happen - click on the button and the menu stays open until the
user click on an item in the menu.

What actually happens - the user clicks on the button and the menu flashes
up for approx. 1/2 a second and then disappears. Too fast for the user to do
anything in the menu.

We think that the problem must be with this customers desktop config. It is
a large corporate so they have an image which has been customised according
to their policies. They use Dell desktop machines.
The reason we think it is related to the desktop config is that we can take
the application with exactly the same configuration to a standard XP desktop
and we cannot reproduce the problem.

Has anyone ever seen this kind of behavior before or anything like it? And
if so, can anyone give me a clue what could be causing it?
I apologise if these are not the right newsgroups for this and if so, could
someone plese let me know which group is appropriate?

On Wed, 19 May 2004, "Axel VK" <sparqs@pigpond.com> wrote:

>What should happen - click on the button and the menu stays open until the
>user click on an item in the menu.
>
>What actually happens - the user clicks on the button and the menu flashes
>up for approx. 1/2 a second and then disappears. Too fast for the user to do
>anything in the menu.

This is just a GUESS... but that is exactly what happens when I visit
a web page which tries to pop up a new window, and my pop up stopper
halts the new page before I am able to read it

IF the computer in question has some kind of pop up stopper active the
user will need to hold the "bypass" key to allow the pop up to run

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

"John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 May 2004, "Axel VK" <sparqs@pigpond.com> wrote:
>
> >What should happen - click on the button and the menu stays open until
the
> >user click on an item in the menu.
> >
> >What actually happens - the user clicks on the button and the menu
flashes
> >up for approx. 1/2 a second and then disappears. Too fast for the user to
do
> >anything in the menu.
>
> This is just a GUESS... but that is exactly what happens when I visit
> a web page which tries to pop up a new window, and my pop up stopper
> halts the new page before I am able to read it
>
> IF the computer in question has some kind of pop up stopper active the
> user will need to hold the "bypass" key to allow the pop up to run

Thanks for that. I checked and the client tells me that there are no popup
stoppers running (apparantly, they get popus all the time).
Thanks anyway.

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Start by changing the Menu Speed. TweakUI - Mouse/Menu Speed or use the
edit from my site on line 68:

All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

> Start by changing the Menu Speed. TweakUI - Mouse/Menu Speed or use the
> edit from my site on line 68:

Thanks we'll try that.

Also;
It was suggested to me today that this program may be incompatible with one
of the many Microsoft OS patches and this could be one of the symptoms.
Does that sound realistic?

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

One of the updates has been noted to interfere with the vertical scrolling,
not for the menu delay, AFAIK.

--

In message <utFSaBnPEHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, Axel VK
<sparqs@pigpond.com> writes

>"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Start by changing the Menu Speed. TweakUI - Mouse/Menu Speed or use the
>> edit from my site on line 68:
>

>Thanks we'll try that.
>
>Also;
>It was suggested to me today that this program may be incompatible with one
>of the many Microsoft OS patches and this could be one of the symptoms.
>Does that sound realistic?

There's a rather nifty little program called Y'z Shadow that gives
windows a 3D effect by simulating shadows. I love it, but initially
found that the default settings made some application menus 100%
transparent! It may be worth investigating translucency on the problem
machine and disabling it if found.

--
Neale Hind
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children