PC wont boot with new HD- change settings?

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Win 7 64 bit
seagate 500gb sata
Abit IP35 pro xe motherboard

This is a new secondary hard drive, not my boot drive (which is a 320 gb sata drive). When i plug it in and start the computer everything looks fine until windows is supposed to load, at which point there is just a blank screen that it never gets passed. The HD is detected in the BIOS correctly but I am unsure of the settings-

the only two settings I can change in the Bios are

"External IDE Drive" - the only options are 'Auto' & 'None' and it is by default set on Auto. I would like to note that on my other sata hard drive this setting is replaced by "Sata Channel 1" and has the options of None, Auto, or Manual. It is set on 'auto'.

the other is-
"Access Mode" - the options under this are 'Large' or 'Auto' it is by default set to 'Auto', which is the same as the other sata drive.

are the settings fine? I am questioning why the 500gb sata drive has one called External IDE drive while my main sata drive as well as my sata cd/dvd drive both are listed as "SATA Channel #"

You'll have to use the BIOS to set your HDD boot priority, page 2-14 of your manual:

Advanced BIOS Features Setup Menu
Hard Disk Boot Priority
This item selects the hard disks booting priority. By pressing <Enter> key, you can enter its
submenu where the hard disks detected can be selected for the booting sequence to boot up
system.
This item functions only when there is the option of [Hard Disk] in any one of the
First/Second/Third Boot Device items.

First Boot Device / Second Boot Device / Third Boot Device / Boot Other Device
Select the drive to boot first, second and third in the [First Boot Device], [Second Boot Device],
and [Third Boot Device] items respectively. The BIOS will boot the operating system according
to the sequence of the drive selected. Set [Boot Other Device] to [Enabled] if you wish to boot
from another device other than these three items.