Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Confused over memory timing

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
November 15, 2010 7:26:58 PM

I have a Asus P5b deluxe with a E7500 processor. I have it set currently to (11*340) so a overclock from 2.93ghz to 3.75ghz. (I used to run 8*350 for years stable with a E6400, but the E7500 heats up too much at *350) The ram is running at 425mhz so DDR2 850mhz, ran stable at 875 before (with the E6400 at 350). The FSB : DRAM ratio is 4:5, some reason my bios posts it as PC2-5300, but cpu-z says its at 425....

My memory timing is set to auto currently. According to CPU-Z it is running at 5-5-5-10. The memory is labeled 4-4-4-12 and 2.2v. There are a number of other setting other than the first 4 in my BIOS. Here is a pic of what my BIOS memory timing page looks like, I dont know what to set the other settings to past the first 4. (I didnt take the pic, but its of the same BIOS on the same motherboard as mine)



After the 4-4-4-12, what do I set everything below that to?

More about : confused memory timing

November 17, 2010 8:42:32 AM

Leaving it those default or auto should be fine. Also make sure that your voltage for ram is set to 2.2v in BIOS.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
a c 151 K Overclocking
November 17, 2010 2:40:38 PM

On almost every build, I find myself manually setting the RAM timings to "what it says on the label".
m
0
l
Related resources
November 17, 2010 3:50:49 PM

I also have a question in reference to the RAM timings. I have 4G of OCZ DDR3-1333MHZ RAM.

The default settings for my RAM at 667MHZ are 9-9-9-20, 8-8-8-18 at 590MHZ. I overclocked my CPU (X4 620) to 13 x 296 and lowered my RAM multiplier to 1:2, leaving my RAM at 592. The 590MHZ settings didn't work too well, and even the 667MHZ settings as well. I have the CR set to 2T now and 9-9-9-24 for the timings. The RAM voltage I have set to 1.92V. After it was having difficulties, I lowered the reference clock to 286 (572MHZ)

But this setup won't Prime95 at all. I'm wondering what are more appropriate settings for the RAM to get the system stable in Prime95.
m
0
l
November 17, 2010 6:27:57 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
On almost every build, I find myself manually setting the RAM timings to "what it says on the label".


Yes but after the first 4 numbers it doesn't show values for timings. leaving those on auto/default should be fine. but set the timings your given in BIOS
m
0
l
November 17, 2010 6:33:12 PM

MasterMace said:
I also have a question in reference to the RAM timings. I have 4G of OCZ DDR3-1333MHZ RAM.

The default settings for my RAM at 667MHZ are 9-9-9-20, 8-8-8-18 at 590MHZ. I overclocked my CPU (X4 620) to 13 x 296 and lowered my RAM multiplier to 1:2, leaving my RAM at 592. The 590MHZ settings didn't work too well, and even the 667MHZ settings as well. I have the CR set to 2T now and 9-9-9-24 for the timings. The RAM voltage I have set to 1.92V. After it was having difficulties, I lowered the reference clock to 286 (572MHZ)

But this setup won't Prime95 at all. I'm wondering what are more appropriate settings for the RAM to get the system stable in Prime95.


Your ram might not be the problem. It could just be that your cpu is unstable. Also i think 1.92v for DDR3 is too high. You shouldn't need to go over 1.5v to have your ram running at 590MHz 8-8-8-18
m
0
l
November 17, 2010 10:52:31 PM

ShadowDog said:
Yes but after the first 4 numbers it doesn't show values for timings. leaving those on auto/default should be fine. but set the timings your given in BIOS



So DRAM write recovery time, TREC, TRRD, Rank write delay, read to precharge delay, and write to precharge delay, all leave at auto or what ever they are already set to?

Just set the CAS, RAS to CAS, RAS precharge and RAS activate to precharge at 4-4-4-12???

Should I set the voltage to 2.2v as listed on the ram? I think auto has been setting it to 1.9
m
0
l
November 18, 2010 12:02:00 AM

Voltage should be set to what it says on the ram (2.2v). Or otherwise you will likely have problems.
m
0
l
November 18, 2010 4:01:18 AM

I just tried 4-4-4-12, and 2.15v the system wouldn't boot, (the ram says 2.2, but my bios only has 2.15v and 2.25v...), I also tried auto voltage and still, no boot.

E7500, Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi A/P, 2 sticks of 2gb patriot ram DDR2 800 (4-4-4-12 and 2.2v on the label), geforce 8800 gt, windows xp 32biit
m
0
l
November 18, 2010 4:06:49 AM

Try 2.25v, actual voltage should end up being around 2.2v
Also you might need to raise northbridge voltage a bit. 1 or 2 notches up should do it.
m
0
l
!