Sign in with
Your question

Loud Graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 13, 2009 4:43:25 PM

I just bought a New XFX GeForce 9600 GT and I first installed it and it was quiet. Then the fan kicked in and has been going since and I have only went onto the internet. I haven't even played any games yet. Is this normal. It is really annoying and I can't even imagine how it will be once I start to play a game.

More about : loud graphics card

a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2009 1:20:40 AM

If you aren't used to a real gaming card then you can quickly realise the price that is paid in decibels.

That said, I didn't think the 9600gt was a noisy card. You do get used to it though. My 4870 is horrendously loud compared to my 8800gt, and at first I thought I'd go mad listening to it. I hardly even recognise it now.
Related resources
April 14, 2009 5:40:59 AM

That EVGA precision tool prolly won't work with different brand GPU's. Lol, when you have a passively cooled card make sure you have lots of airflow.
April 14, 2009 12:45:01 PM

darbyg said:
I just bought a New XFX GeForce 9600 GT and I first installed it and it was quiet. Then the fan kicked in and has been going since and I have only went onto the internet. I haven't even played any games yet. Is this normal. It is really annoying and I can't even imagine how it will be once I start to play a game.

I thought you were going to mention an xbox or ati card here.
April 14, 2009 12:47:50 PM

jennyh said:
If you aren't used to a real gaming card then you can quickly realise the price that is paid in decibels.

That said, I didn't think the 9600gt was a noisy card. You do get used to it though. My 4870 is horrendously loud compared to my 8800gt, and at first I thought I'd go mad listening to it. I hardly even recognise it now.

No offense, but the noise probably made you deaf :-)

The issue for me and ATi cards has always been noise. I still buy their products, but they have been known to be real loud. Who remembers the FX5800?
April 18, 2009 7:30:51 PM

Thanks for all your help. I actually downloaded I8KFan GUI. It works great with the regulation of the fan speeds.
!