Sign in with
Your question

Liquid Cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
November 15, 2010 10:28:16 PM

Ok a basic question

Should I get liquid cooling or just buy a fan? Pros and cons please.

More about : liquid cooling

a b K Overclocking
November 15, 2010 10:32:51 PM

The fact that you are asking means you should just go air.
There is a sticky you could read a bit and then come to your own conclusions.
November 15, 2010 10:34:42 PM

delluser1 said:
The fact that you are asking means you should just go air.
There is a sticky you could read a bit and then come to your own conclusions.

ok thanks and I'll just go fan much cheaper =P
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 16, 2010 12:50:43 AM

Yes, there are stickies at the top of almost any forum you can find to help answer these kinds of questions...and give you some concept of what to expect. Please read them (in any forum) before asking generic, trivial and uninformed questions. Help yourself, first.
November 18, 2010 8:25:57 AM

Thanks didn't know about that. =D
November 18, 2010 10:07:02 AM

I'm a first timer on water cooled pc. But yeah read the how twos. They are great.
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 12:07:36 PM

read the stickeys and how to's......thats how i learned. im just waiting on a few parts and im venturing off on my first liquid cooled set up (just need the CPU waterblock *dam FedEx shipping messed it all up*) :lol: 

tho i would like to thank rubix for pointing me in the right direction with the links :D 

point is...unless your going to do some pretty hardcore overclocking and know what your doing. liquid cooling is not for you. Also if your worried about price?? yah liquid cooling is not for you. example....

you can get a decent CPU air cooler for $30 .........

the TUBING in some cases costs $30 for liquid cooling :lol: 
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 12:15:12 PM

tx-jose said:

point is...unless your going to do some pretty hardcore overclocking and know what your doing. liquid cooling is not for you. Also if your worried about price?? yah liquid cooling is not for you. example....

you can get a decent CPU air cooler for $30 .........

the TUBING in some cases costs $30 for liquid cooling :lol: 

Yes, it can be expensive, but there are plenty of people who do it more for the silence than the overclocking ability.
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 12:30:00 PM

I do it more as a hobby and because I like building stuff; instead of putting together a Lego set, by the directions, with only the pieces included in the box.
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 12:41:34 PM

delluser1 said:
Yes, it can be expensive, but there are plenty of people who do it more for the silence than the overclocking ability.

dontt see whats so silent about a 320 rad radiator with 6 120mm fans :lol: 

jk i know i know......but i fail to see why you would want it for the silent factor?? wont a water pump be just as loud as a decent CPU cooler anyway like a Zerotherm??
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 12:47:15 PM

Pumps aren't very loud...I can't hear my MCP655 over the fans in my case.

And silent isn't really possible unless you over-rad your waterloop and/or run low FPI rads with low RPM fans. You have to take into account that 'silent' and 'quiet' mean different things to different people.

Remember, you will need fans for all of your radiators...plus, you'll still need case fans to circulate air in the case for the rest of the components that don't have water blocks.
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 12:48:39 PM

tx-jose said:
dontt see whats so silent about a 320 rad radiator with 6 120mm fans :lol: 

jk i know i know......but i fail to see why you would want it for the silent factor?? wont a water pump be just as loud as a decent CPU cooler anyway like a Zerotherm??

Inside a case I doubt you would hear the pump at all.
Mine is roughly 2 feet from my head on an open bench and barely noticeable, though it is the loudest component of my system since going passive.
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 1:00:16 PM

delluser1 said:
Inside a case I doubt you would hear the pump at all.
Mine is roughly 2 feet from my head on an open bench and barely noticeable, though it is the loudest component of my system since going passive.

I still dont see why you would invest all that money just for a little less noise. :pt1cable: 

rubix_1011 said:
It's pretty obvious this guy needs to read the stickies first.

Please spend some quality time so you begin to understand the questions you are asking:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256607-29-watercooling-read-first

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/226970-water-cooling-essential-threads.html

thats where i learned about it all......a month of reading later.....and im still learning. :D 

November 19, 2010 12:05:53 AM

Temps are great, overclocking is great. Set up is a pain, but not complicated if you do your homework. Price is more obviously, but its a lot more personal, and unique. Also there are systems like the h70 you can check out.
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 3:12:49 AM

water cooling isn't all about a little less noise, you get performance and possibly a kickass looking computer out of it all.

My computer is in my room and I sometimes torrent files overnight. Some people like hot and power hungry graphics cards and still sleep at night.
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 3:26:47 AM

hey Rofl_My_waffle..WTF happen to TFC Admiral ? :( 
November 19, 2010 3:44:36 AM

@ Rofl, I hate hot power hungry graphics cards ;) 
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 12:39:42 PM

Quote:
hey Rofl_My_waffle..WTF happen to TFC Admiral ?

@ortoklaz:

I've been wondering the same thing. Haven't seen those for sale yet...or even any good tests. Interesting design...they seem to have huge circular, finned tubing which is exposed and does away with the traditional 'soldered' fin design. I'm thinking simple surface area was what they were going for, along with crazy flow rates.

I think some of their rads will hold over a liter of water, alone.
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 12:43:44 PM

why not just go to your local high performance car shop and get some transmission coolers from automatic transmissions??? Some even have like fans with crazy CFMs :lol: 
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 12:51:50 PM

Cost, mainly...you'd probably spend more and still have to go about barbs, mounting, etc.

Secondly, coolers that are meant for oil or oil-type cooling are designed for systems that have a more powerful pump and might be restrictive for a typical watercooling pump.

For instance, with a heater core, you are somewhat in the same realm as a WC radiator...but with an oil or transmission cooler, you are working with something designed for the viscosity and flow of a completely different liquid, likely under much more pressure.
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 12:56:13 PM

because automatic transmission fluid had about the same viscosity as coolant?? :lol: 

its dam close and if anything they are LESS restrictive than a PC based rad. since its tube style that runs along all the fins
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 1:01:03 PM

I'm not going to say don't try it, because I have use a huge oil cooler before, as well as couple heater cores. The one oil cooler I used was pretty damn big, and ran about 10 lines of 1/2"ID copper tubing in a gentle 'S' pattern. It worked well, but I think the round tubing and the flow hindered it, as well as the fin placement and number. In fact, here is a pic:

It's still sitting on a shelf in my garage.
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 1:08:19 PM

copper tubing?? wont copper retain heat? I mean i have a BIG transmission cooler on my truck and its using rubber hoses.

looks sick as s** tho!!! props for being innovative!!! :D 
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 1:15:17 PM

Copper...? What do you think the tubing inside WC radiators is made of? Copper is excellent for heat transfer...it's WHY it's used.

Figuring out how to mount stuff that isn't typically made for PC WC'ing is the fun part...I like that kind of DIY/modding. I used some PVC standoffs, a piece of thin plexi and cut holes...mounted fans to the plexi...ran screws through the plexi to hold it to the cooler and mounted using the standoffs. It wasn't bad...I think I paid like $40 or so for that cooler and simply cut off the threaded connectors and slipped tubing over with hose clamps. I did a lot of scouting to find exactly what I wanted, first.
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 1:23:49 PM

yah i know that on the copper part but why would you use it in you LINES.....in the radiator YES!!! by all means!!! but why would you want you lines OUTSIDE the radiators to retain heat and heat up the fluid that passing though??

(its like 1* but do u see where im coming from?) :D 
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 1:38:57 PM

No...the tubing used in the cooler is copper, the rest of the tubing I use is usually Feser or Tygon. Either way, if you could run all copper tubing, it would actually be better and help cool more, due to the increased surface area of the tubing and the water. It would be like a really long radiator.

Simple rule of heat conduction (or most any rule of physics): energy will transfer from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration in attempt to equalize. This principle works for heat exchangers, wind, boiling water, osmosis and even potential energy with gravity.
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 2:07:56 PM

very true!!!!
!