Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to overclock Q6600 on XFX 680i LT

Last response: in Overclocking
November 16, 2010 12:40:49 AM

As the title says. I'm only interested in achieving 3.0Ghz.

I realize this question has been asked many times and that this motherboard isn't exactly a great overclocker but from Googling, I found that 3ghz is possible on this board, I just don't know what the proper settings are.

I bought the PC used a few months ago and recently put it together with an EVGA 8800 Ultra. It came with 4gb OCZ PC2-6400 and 2gb Corsair PC2-6400.

I'm sorry for asking this question, I just can't find the settings anywhere.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Best solution

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
November 16, 2010 11:25:48 AM

The BIOS' for the nVidia 6XX chipset is a little backwards. You increase CPU speed by increasing the FSB clock (that's the 1066 MHz thing) instead of the FSB frequency (266 MHz).

Not bad directions in the link, except ...

Try to run the memory Linked if you can. That will give you a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio. Core2 CPU's do not really benefit from memory overclocking. If you need to run Unlinked (my eVga 680i board required it for stability), manually set the RAM clock to one half the FSB clock (double the FSB frequency). It will mean an extra step each time you push the CPU speed higher.

Do not exceed 1.5 volt vcore. And do not exceed 2.2 volts vRAM.

If your goal is only 3.0 GHz, there's a very good chance that you will need little if any increase in vcore. And at 3.0 GHz, the stock cooler will be adequate. At 3.3 GHz, a relatively inexpensive Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is all you need. Anything higher will require serious cooling.
Related resources
November 16, 2010 11:18:53 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I actually tried some trial and error and managed to get it stable running at 3.0ghz. I upped the voltage a little to just over 1.3V on the cpu, 1.4 on the FSB and 1.4 on the nForce.

I left the ram voltage auto at 1.85 volts.

Not sure what my timings are, but I think I set them at 5-5-5-15, hope this is right.

I had it unlinked with a FSB of 1337mhz and ram at 800.

The PC already has an after market Arctic Cooling Freezer (I bought the setup with it, only thing I changed was remove the 8800 GT for an EVGA 8800 Ultra)

If anything I did wrong, please let me know.

BTW, I ran 3DMark06 and saw a healthy increase from 12587 at stock to 14590 after the o/c.

3DM ark Vantage came out 9133 but I'm not sure what the scoring of this version is like so I'm going to compare it with my other PCs.
m
l
December 5, 2010 9:56:09 PM

Hi guys; I'm try'n something very similar, with an MSI-branded 780i (http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpusupport&maincat...)
with an early Q6600. (also Kingston Hyper-X 2x2GB 1066, 8GB total, and a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ HS.)

Some reason the nVidia software floats the clock-multiplier from 6x to 9x (correct); so it drops the CPU-speed down to 1600mhz or so.
Highest I've been able to set the FSB is 1100 without Win7 locking up, but anything greater will fail.

I would like to push this thing to 3.3 or higher, 'cause it should handle it quite well. BIOS is from 2008, (yes, should have been the first thing I did, but it's my friends' machine and he was over-eager to get plugging away at it - so I don't have access to it all the time) with latest v1.4 @ jul2009...

I don't mean to high-jack your thread Argentina94, but sounds like you're off to a great start :)  I'll be happy if I could get this thing to come close....
m
l
January 16, 2011 3:46:42 PM

Best answer selected by Argentina94.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 17, 2011 2:20:14 PM

hythos, the floating multiplier is a feature called SpeedStep or EIST. The internal multiplier throttles back to 6X to reduce heat and power consumption under light loads.

Usually, overclockers disable SpeedStep before trying to overclock. I turn it off, do the overclock, and turn it back on again.
m
l
!