Sign in with
Your question

Who can recommend a MB brand that doesn't suck

Last response: in Motherboards
September 4, 2009 6:32:36 PM

Alright, in the last 14 months I have been through 3 motherboards. All three have died at around the 4-5 month point, so no RMA help there. First a Gigabyte, then an Asus, and now finally a DFI, all X48 boards, and not bottom of the line models either. I am not hard on my machine, no overclocking whatsoever, and it's kept cool and clean.

Is there a brand out there that can build a product that isn't a total pile of sh*t after 6 months?!?!

More about : recommend brand suck

September 4, 2009 6:48:21 PM

it's kind of unusual that you have been through so many mobos. are you using some kind of crappy power supply or something?. i've always used MSI boards and not one of them broke on me. lately i've been using gigabytes as well. no issues so far.
September 4, 2009 6:52:09 PM

Corsair power supply and memory... How about Biostar? a bit pricier, but always good reviews on the egg...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 435 V Motherboard
September 4, 2009 9:27:15 PM

With your bad luck, I would get a cheaper board, such as a g31 or g33 ecs. Ecs boards are basic no frills; I've never had one die on me. Check newegg's open box section. I would also rma the power supply; just because it's corsair doesn't mean it's immune from problems.
a c 79 V Motherboard
September 4, 2009 9:30:45 PM

Getting three bad motherboards in a row is highly unlikely. It sounds like something in your system is killing the motherboards. I've had great luck with Asus and Gigabyte. I haven't had the best luck with MSI.
September 4, 2009 9:40:57 PM

i'm also thinking that the psu if frying the mobos. rma it.
September 5, 2009 5:47:17 AM

godless said:
i'm also thinking that the psu if frying the mobos. rma it.

hes gone through the mobo's and couldnt rma them due to time, im sure if he had the psu it as well is long past rma
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2009 1:36:49 PM

Any brand motherboard at any price will last much longer than 6 months, IF IT IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY, AND ALL HARDWARE IS WORKING CORRECTLY. There is something wrong with your setup if you have in fact been through 3 board's in 14 months, most likely your PSU. You don't have to bother telling us it is a Corsair 8000watt gold plated super duper special SLI unit either, either you are not mounting the boards right, or your PSU is bad.
Stop acting like an idiot and start trouble shooting to find out what exactly it is that is killing your boards.
September 6, 2009 1:13:37 AM

I'd have to agree with that although it was rudely stated.
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2009 12:20:15 PM

rand_79 said:
I'd have to agree with that although it was rudely stated.

I agree, I was a little rude, and I intended it to be.
"Who can recommend a MB brand that doesn't suck" and "Is there a brand out there that can build a product that isn't a total pile of sh*t after 6 months?!?!" What does one expect to hear after uttering statements like that? I normally am very polite, but if you are acting like an idiot, I am going to tell you about it.
Not that I do not want to help the guy, and I certainly want his PC to perform as he expected, but there is a rational way of building and trouble shooting, and was not on the right track to solving his problem. Hopefully he will step back, and direct his frustration towards solving the issue, rather than just spending money on another board and having it fail in a few months.
September 6, 2009 5:26:14 PM

Alright, first post may have been a bit off-putting, but I was really frustrated at the time... I guess it could possibly be the PSU, but I have had it running other machines with no problems. The MB's have all been mounted correctly.

The Gigabyte board was encountering a problem that I had read was something lots of Gigabyte boards were having: powering on and having continuous restarting problems. According to the troubleshooting codes on the DFI board, the north bridge chip has gone bad. I'm really not sure if the codes can tell you whether or not that would be the case, or it's just a default code.

It just seems weird that the boards take so long to go bad. I figured if it was somthing else in the system it would kill the board pretty quick. The PSU is 2 years old, but has a 5 year warranty, do I RMA it directly to Corsair or newegg? Any other recommendations for troubleshooting?

Thanks...
September 6, 2009 5:36:53 PM

i think you have to rma through corsair, newegg (i believe) only warrants standard 30-day but this is just speculation
September 8, 2009 4:36:26 AM

I have to agree I've seen some posts here starting with similar frustrated comments such as..

"I KNOW MOST OF YOU ARE NOOBS BUT I NEED HELP"
and he had an avatar linking to an extremist website...

I got a nice LOL out of that one.

off topic aside

I agree this is one of the nebulous problems that arent easy to solve

Its not like its "car wont start.. oh it was out of gas"

I'm not sure what you are going to RMA your power supply for.
be careful what you tell them. or they will refuse the rma

They will likely test it when you return it .. then send it back to you and say its ok.
!